ADVERTISEMENT

The Realignment is Inevitable

Yes because the Big Ten was/is the #1 conference in terms of money generated per school from the time money entered college sports through this year and probably until 2023-2024 (and even when the SEC overtakes the Big Ten the difference shouldn't be that big once the Big Ten's new TV deal is signed). You think because of 5-10 years upcoming of the SEC earning a bit more money, that Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State are going to panic?

Penn State never spoke to the ACC regardless of what rumors fly around or what their fans type on message boards about hating the Big Ten; they were never going to take a $20-25 million per year reduction in conference payouts.

Again look at the composition of schools, the Big Ten is comprised of giant institutions that mostly dominate their states; there's very little "deadweight" in the Big Ten. We're the only private school and we're still a large private (relative to other privates) located outside of Chicago with great academics and a rich alumni base willing to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to compete in athletics, and maybe others would argue we're the least attractive school in terms of fan base size.

There's just no reason for an Ohio State not to be patient. They're a school with a top 5 athletics budget and top 5 athletics brand that's regularly in the playoff hunt and wins the Big Ten virtually every year when they're up. Their 105,000 fans in the seats get to see them win virtually every game on their home field.

The Big Ten is still by far the 2nd highest earning league even if we stay at 14 permanently, but if we make a move on the ACC, we can easily pass or match the SEC again, Ohio State knows that.
I’m sorry but there was an article in the Toledo Blade where the OSU AD verbally confirmed that Maryland and Rutgers were added to appease PSU after they talked to the ACC.

I shared it on the Rock - don’t feel like digging it up again. Perhaps @Turk could use his famous googling skills to dig it up.

Talks are definitely happening. Whether they’ll stop with the SEC swiping OU and Texas remains to be seen.

I’m sorry but there was an article in the Toledo Blade where the OSU AD verbally confirmed that Maryland and Rutgers were added to appease PSU after they talked to the ACC.

I shared it on the Rock - don’t feel like digging it up again. Perhaps @Turk could use his famous googling skills to dig it up.

Talks are definitely happening. Whether they’ll stop with the SEC swiping OU and Texas remains to be seen.
That's not what it was, Gene Smith (OSU's AD) said they didn't want Penn State left on an island so they wanted schools around them to prevent them from being approached by the ACC. Taking a prized ACC charter member in Maryland achieved both (weakened the ACC in the Mid-Atlantic while bolstering the Big Ten there).

He [Gene Smith] added: “Here’s one thing that people seem to forget about our move with Rutgers and Maryland. At the time, the ACC was looking to expand. Part of our move was to protect Penn State. Everyone forgets we had a teammate and partner institution that was on a [geographic] island, so what we did, beyond gaining exposure, is we further brought in a valued partner in Penn State. Had Penn State defected to the ACC, what would the conversation have been then?”

It was offensive and defensive at the same time.

Regardless, never been any evidence Penn State actively approached somebody else.

OU and Texas are gone from the Big 12, that's nearly done at this point. But I'm not concerned about Ohio State; they're a king that runs their own conference, they're not going to be some vassal to Alabama/Florida/Texas.

Especially not when the Big Ten can grab ACC schools in the future (and possibly ND).

l just hope The Big has the leadership in charge to see wherever this change ends up that The Big Ten is in the best possible position it can be.
No question had Phillips stepped into that role we would probably not have to just have hope. The ACC is fortunate to have the right person in place to meet the even greater challenges they face.

Unfortunately, the past response of the Big Ten leadership during the pandemic is not confidence building for what may lie ahead.

No question had Phillips stepped into that role we would probably not have to just have hope. The ACC is fortunate to have the right person in place to meet the even greater challenges they face.

Unfortunately, the past response of the Big Ten leadership during the pandemic is not confidence building for what may lie ahead.
In fairness, maybe we’re being a bit hard on Warren. He was a brand new commissioner when he took over during COVID - which would have been a brutal learning curve for anyone. Just look at how our government bungled handling the pandemic.

Let’s see how he steers the conference through these uncertain waters. If he lands the right teams, then we’ll know the B1G likely made the right choice.

Reactions: StreamCat

I will say the fortunate thing is time; there's no rush for the Big Ten to do anything, and anything rushed at this point is likely to be a long-term error.

Also, anything related to expansion is going to be driven by the schools and their presidents.

Most likely expansion will calm down among the biggest conferences until 2031-2032.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
That's not what it was, Gene Smith (OSU's AD) said they didn't want Penn State left on an island so they wanted schools around them to prevent them from being approached by the ACC. Taking a prized ACC charter member in Maryland achieved both (weakened the ACC in the Mid-Atlantic while bolstering the Big Ten there).

He [Gene Smith] added: “Here’s one thing that people seem to forget about our move with Rutgers and Maryland. At the time, the ACC was looking to expand. Part of our move was to protect Penn State. Everyone forgets we had a teammate and partner institution that was on a [geographic] island, so what we did, beyond gaining exposure, is we further brought in a valued partner in Penn State. Had Penn State defected to the ACC, what would the conversation have been then?”

It was offensive and defensive at the same time.

Regardless, never been any evidence Penn State actively approached somebody else.

OU and Texas are gone from the Big 12, that's nearly done at this point. But I'm not concerned about Ohio State; they're a king that runs their own conference, they're not going to be some vassal to Alabama/Florida/Texas.

Especially not when the Big Ten can grab ACC schools in the future (and possibly ND).
OHio State does have advantages as the big dog in the Big, but that allure will drop as the Conference continues to drop taking OSU down with it.

Actually, if OSU were to jump to the SEC, sooner would be better as they currently hold bargaining power. OSU has been excelling based on their ability to recruit nationally, not Ohio. As more too recruits look to go to the SEC Super Conference, OSU may still be the best in the Big 10 but other teams will close the gap. Even if the SEC still wants an OSU with recent years of not being conference champs or with 2-3 loss seasons, the Buckeyes would give up a lot of their bargaining power.

Think of the difference in the negotiations that OSU would have with the SEC right now versus Michigan and PSU. That’s what OSU has to lose if they wait too long.

OHio State does have advantages as the big dog in the Big, but that allure will drop as the Conference continues to drop taking OSU down with it.

Actually, if OSU were to jump to the SEC, sooner would be better as they currently hold bargaining power. OSU has been excelling based on their ability to recruit nationally, not Ohio. As more too recruits look to go to the SEC Super Conference, OSU may still be the best in the Big 10 but other teams will close the gap. Even if the SEC still wants an OSU with recent years of not being conference champs or with 2-3 loss seasons, the Buckeyes would give up a lot of their bargaining power.

Think of the difference in the negotiations that OSU would have with the SEC right now versus Michigan and PSU. That’s what OSU has to lose if they wait too long.
You're an Ohio State guy, do you really think Ohio State's leadership is thinking of this?

Like explain how the conference is going to drop. Yes, we'll be behind the SEC in money for now, but if the Big Ten pushes to add 5-6 ACC teams (including ND and possibly a football power like FSU or Clemson), then what's going to be the issue for Ohio State.

You get a conference with as many many national brands as the SEC and with recruiting grounds up and down the East Coast (NJ, MD, VA, NC, GA, FL).

And that would make as much $ per year as the SEC.

I think Ohio State needs to just push its weight around and insist on a football power from the ACC (FSU or Clemson - probably FSU due to Florida market access) as part of the next round of expansion even if those two schools aren't AAU.

Ohio State has that kind of pull. Just use it.

You're an Ohio State guy, do you really think Ohio State's leadership is thinking of this?

Like explain how the conference is going to drop. Yes, we'll be behind the SEC in money for now, but if the Big Ten pushes to add 5-6 ACC teams (including ND and possibly a football power like FSU or Clemson), then what's going to be the issue for Ohio State.

You get a conference with as many many national brands as the SEC and with recruiting grounds up and down the East Coast (NJ, MD, VA, NC, GA, FL).

And that would make as much $ per year as the SEC.

I think Ohio State needs to just push its weight around and insist on a football power from the ACC (FSU or Clemson - probably FSU due to Florida market access) as part of the next round of expansion even if those two schools aren't AAU.

Ohio State has that kind of pull. Just use it.
Those same ACC schools will also be recruited by the SEC, right?

Yes they will be. Or the true powers will form the NWO super conference eventually and quickly remove any competition that doesn’t matter.

To paraphrase Dylan, the times are changing rapidly. We Wildcats need to brace ourselves.

It depends.

There used to be a handshake agreement between the Eastern SEC teams to not add their rivals: Florida/Georgia/South Carolina and presumably Kentucky were a part of that.
But who knows whether Texas getting added over A&M's objections changes that.

I think the Big Ten will have an advantage in 2 respects: 1 we already took Maryland, and 2 UVa and GA Tech are likely to lean towards the Big Ten.

My hunch is UNC and Duke would follow Maryland, UVa, and Ga Tech to the Big Ten. At least to preserve most of their traditional rivalries (play NC State out of conference).

FSU and Clemson would go to the SEC if they got invited but I can't imagine South Carolina ever wants Clemson in the SEC. Clemson in the SEC means South Carolina can never be relevant.

FSU is a tougher question. Who knows what they would do. They probably want SEC... but Florida is one of the 2 cornerstones of the SEC with Alabama. They may be able to keep FSU out.

It depends.

There used to be a handshake agreement between the Eastern SEC teams to not add their rivals: Florida/Georgia/South Carolina and presumably Kentucky were a part of that.
But who knows whether Texas getting added over A&M's objections changes that.

I think the Big Ten will have an advantage in 2 respects: 1 we already took Maryland, and 2 UVa and GA Tech are likely to lean towards the Big Ten.

My hunch is UNC and Duke would follow Maryland, UVa, and Ga Tech to the Big Ten. At least to preserve most of their traditional rivalries (play NC State out of conference).

FSU and Clemson would go to the SEC if they got invited but I can't imagine South Carolina ever wants Clemson in the SEC. Clemson in the SEC means South Carolina can never be relevant.

FSU is a tougher question. Who knows what they would do. They probably want SEC... but Florida is one of the 2 cornerstones of the SEC with Alabama. They may be able to keep FSU out.
Actually, a Florida school in the B1G might make a lot of sense when you consider all the people who have retired there from the BIG footprint.

Actually, a Florida school in the B1G might make a lot of sense when you consider all the people who have retired there from the BIG footprint.
Yes, Florida State is arguably the strongest choice from the ACC as currently constructed if you ignore ND for purposes of these discussions.

Biggest market; 2nd strongest and a legitimate drawing power in that market.

Of course they aren't AAU; but I still think the football side of the conference should push hard for FSU if the academic side is pushing for UNC/UVa/Duke/Ga Tech.

We need some football power to be coming from the Southeast if we go that route.

Last edited:
Yes, Florida State is arguably the strongest choice from the ACC as currently constructed if you ignore ND for purposes of these discussions.

Biggest market; 2nd strongest and a legitimate drawing power in that market.

Of course they aren't AAU; but I still think the football side of the conference should push hard for FSU if the academic side is pushing for UNC/UVa/Duke/Ga Tech.

We need some football power to be coming from the Southeast if we go that route.
From what I’m hearing the SEC is more likely to poach them and other potential national powers before the B1G can make a move.

NU’s only longterm hope to remain part of a superconference is for the B1G and PAC12 to have a “merger” if you will and trust the ACC & SEC to do the same. Stanford and NU will make a great crossover match-up.

We’ll be fine either way.

Last edited:
From what I’m hearing the SEC is more likely to poach them and other potential national powers before the B1G can make a move.

NU’s only longterm hope to remain part of a superconference is for the B1G and PAC12 to have a “merger” if you will and trust the ACC & SEC to do the same. Stanford and NU will make a great crossover match-up.

We’ll be fine either way.
Nobody will be able to poach them "first"; everyone will be talking around 2031-2032. That's when you reach the time frame of expansion.

Nobody would want to announce they're leaving a place 5-6 years in advance, so that's around when talks would start.

Big Ten will get a chance with every school it covets in the Southeast, but I'm honestly not sure that the academic types in the Big Ten COP/C want FSU.

Ohio State. Penn State and Michigan are recruiting Elite talent. Just because of the mystery of Harbaugh.. UM has been down. Wisconsin steady. But Big Football very much alive if Rutgers builds up. IU in basketball also had its share of coaches who didnt work out. The sports in Big are good and academics solid. Big can weather cwhatever happens. And the Chicago school contributes more than its size

Isn't it all just cheap content--since the players aren't paid--to support advertising and increasingly the parasitic gambling industry? Sure, Texas and Oklahoma want to get in on the big money, but they've also been unhappy with the Big 12 for a long time. Losing Nebraska was huge from a tradition standpoint and the entire conference is weak in terms of audience share, except for Texas. I don't think we need a super conference, we need better distribution of games throughout the week, as the NFL has done. You build your team's brand by being seen by larger audiences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT