ADVERTISEMENT

THE REMATCH: Women's Lacrosse

LookGoodInPurple

Aug 26, 2004
March 30th.... the rematch of last year's national championship game. After that game, Syracuse complained that a stall employed by Amonte-Hiller's squad was not very sporting. On the other sid, Michelle Tumolo's antics and aggressive play left a bad taste in many purple faithful's mouths. In short, bad blood between these two teams. Could be one of the best games all year.

I'll be bringing my family up to see the game. Would love to run into any other wlax fans who show up at Lakeside Field.
Screen-shot-2012-09-25-at-2.39.48-PM.png

This post was edited on 3/22 8:04 AM by LookGoodInPurple

That was the first and last women's lacrosse game I will ever watch as I agree the stall tatic employed was BORRRRIIIIIIINNNNGG. If they change the rule, I'll check it out again. I don't have any problem with KAH using it. It's part of the game. Syracuse should've dealt with it better. I just don't want to watch anymore women's lacrosse do to it.

I plan on being there along with a loyal group of lacrosse tailgaters (Wildcat229, Noah, and slides2 among them). Our tent goes up two hours before opening draw (it's maroon, but I got a good deal on it). Usually we set up close to the eastern edge of the Lakeside Field lot. Stop by and join us. You, too, Shakes. This oughtta be a great game!

This post was edited on 3/24 8:17 AM by ubercat

Uber, I'd like to do that! I'll be with the whole family so won't be able to tailgate as long as I would've liked. And I'd really appreciate if you could introduce me to slides. I connected him with LTP... And I just wanted to thank him for writing those pieces for LTP. I "met" him on the laxpower.com boards.

And shakes, I think that type of stall is fairly unique (how long they did it), and I don't think you'll see that this weekend. NU looks very different from years past. In fact, I think they might be considered the underdog for this game (obviously no Vegas lines on WLAX) despite being ranked lower.

So Esposito is out for the season now? Haven't seen the dOSU v NU game, but I heard it was a squeaker.

On Saturday, the Wildcats will make their second straight live appearance on the Big Ten Network when they host fifth-ranked Syracuse in a much-anticipated rematch of the 2012 NCAA Championship game. Opening draw is set for 1:00 p.m. at Lakeside Field, where Northwestern Athletics will be staging a BLACKOUT with all early-arriving fans receiving a free black Northwestern Lacrosse T-shirt

Yes, Esposito out for season. Mupo still MIA. DeRhonda didn't play as well - don't know reason.

Offense never developed a rhythm due to very good OSU defense and stellar goalkeeping in first half. Key draws and groundballs turned the tide in late second half.

Yes, sadly, the Cats will have to muscle on without her. (But Kelly always seems to find players to plug in.) Hopefully she'll be back stronger than ever next year.

The Buckeyes were playing their hearts out last night. We had some defensive lapses in the first half. And our offense finally got untracked as Taylor Thornton was able to score four goals. Erin Fitzgerald was pretty much held in check by OSU's defenders. And their goalie made some nice stops. A satisfying win, though; and an exciting game to watch (esp. compared to Harvard).

Got to see the OSU game on BTN - Field looked great on BTN coverage but seemed to be a cold day. OSU played hard and NU certainly did not look a level above them as I had hoped they would.

But NU was the championship team and you could almost tell they knew they could find a way to win and gut out a close one. After being on the losing side in so many games over the years, particularly in mens basketball, you can see how it is a razor thin margin between being a winning team and a mediocre team. Some programs almost always make the couple of extra plays to win the close ones and other teams come up a couple of plays short.

KAH is a great coach and i'm glad we have her!!

Go cats - beat the Cuse.

Is there a better program anywhere in sports right now? NU probably won't win #8 this year but will win a few more if KAH stays. No its not football or BBAll but wow - true competition.(Could use a shot clock) but Go Cats!!!

LGIP-- It was great finally getting to meet you and your 'team' after the game. I see some future Erin Fitzgeralds in your group. Feel welcome to stop by our tailgate on the east end of the lot the next time. Yesterday we were joined by Fred Smith, the new assistant AD for development, replacing Shon Morris. Although we all miss Shon, I think Fred will work out just fine at NU.

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you as well! I genuinely enjoyed meeting you... and slides and a few others from the laxpower board. Is there a more fun women's game to watch? Such a blast.

Sorry I missed you after the game. Had to leave right after the game for another obligation. Maybe next time.

Originally posted by shakes3858:

That was the first and last women's lacrosse game I will ever watch as I agree the stall tatic employed was BORRRRIIIIIIINNNNGG. If they change the rule, I'll check it out again. I don't have any problem with KAH using it. It's part of the game. Syracuse should've dealt with it better. I just don't want to watch anymore women's lacrosse do to it.
Nothing is preventing Syracuse from going after the ball aggressively like NU does in almost every game.

Originally posted by ubercat:
I plan on being there along with a loyal group of lacrosse tailgaters (Wildcat229, Noah, and slides2 among them). Our tent goes up two hours before opening draw (it's maroon, but I got a good deal on it). Usually we set up close to the eastern edge of the Lakeside Field lot. Stop by and join us. You, too, Shakes. This oughtta be a great game!

This post was edited on 3/24 8:17 AM by ubercat
LOL! Lucky for you it wasn't Crimson and Cream. All you have to fend off now are Harvard and Minnesota fans.

Originally posted by LookGoodInPurple:
Great day at Lakeside Field
92068C78-72CA-490E-B00F-67762DF925F3-293-0000002394334499.jpg
Great to see pics of your kids! What a gang! They've been entertaining and wearing out our football players for years on team-fan nights.

Originally posted by shakes3858:

That was the
first and last women's lacrosse game I will ever watch as I agree the
stall tatic employed was BORRRRIIIIIIINNNNGG. If they change the rule,
I'll check it out again. I don't have any problem with KAH using it.
It's part of the game. Syracuse should've dealt with it better. I just
don't want to watch anymore women's lacrosse do to it.

You should read the Trib article which basically says it was one of the best TV games on display ever. I agree as well.

Had to watch it in a sports bar. They put it on a 10 foot screen and people who had never seen the sport were transfixed (beer might help too).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT