ADVERTISEMENT

The Rose Bowl thing...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
As momentum picks up for a 12-team playoff incorporating existing bowls, I recently read an article on the Athletic (paywall so I won't link it) that commented on the Rose Bowl's inflexibility (when it comes to kickoff date/time) being a huge stumbling block - a playoff model will either need to let the Rose Bowl be a permanent quarterfinal game or they will need to simply exclude the Bowl in the setup.

Is the Rose Bowl being a bad partner by holding steady to its traditions? Or are they rightfully protecting the game's autonomy and brand? What if the NCAA said every Power 5 conference needed to go to 16 teams and the Big Ten said no? Would you feel the same way in both cases? Maybe not an apples to apples comparison but just makes me think how different entities in college athletics want to do their thing but also don't want to be left out of the party (and the payday).

I can see both sides and am ambivalent...just curious to hear other opinions.

No matter how large the tournament gets, January 1 will necessarily be a meaningful part of it. The Rose Bowl is right to hold to its traditions.

Whether the Fiesta Bowl is a Jan 8 quarterfinal or a Jan 15 semifinal in a given year will be irrelevant — as the Fiesta Bowl is largely irrelevant.

It’ll be weird, though, to see the opening round games being played in Shreveport and Frisco and the Bronx and Mobile and Jacksonville and El Paso and Albuquerque and PASADENA, however.

(I have not read 16-team scenarios. I assume that the NYD games would be 4 quarterfinals in such a system.)

Reactions: StreamCat
No matter how large the tournament gets, January 1 will necessarily be a meaningful part of it. The Rose Bowl is right to hold to its traditions.

Whether the Fiesta Bowl is a Jan 8 quarterfinal or a Jan 15 semifinal in a given year will be irrelevant — as the Fiesta Bowl is largely irrelevant.

It’ll be weird, though, to see the opening round games being played in Shreveport and Frisco and the Bronx and Mobile and Jacksonville and El Paso and Albuquerque and PASADENA, however.

(I have not read 16-team scenarios. I assume that the NYD games would be 4 quarterfinals in such a system.)
Maybe the expanded playoffs will just need to start earlier so that Jan 1 is no longer the opening round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT