ADVERTISEMENT

The run to end the game

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
As I think back on last year, toward the end of the season, NU started having runs like that in almost every game. A couple of times it was early enough to coast the rest of the way and a couple of times it was more like yesterday's dagger. Yesterday I felt like PSU ran out of gas especially their big guy.
What is usually the spark of a run like that? Does it all start from the Defense? IMO the team needs to rediscover those runs and how to jump start them.

As I think back on last year, toward the end of the season, NU started having runs like that in almost every game. A couple of times it was early enough to coast the rest of the way and a couple of times it was more like yesterday's dagger. Yesterday I felt like PSU ran out of gas especially their big guy.
What is usually the spark of a run like that? Does it all start from the Defense? IMO the team needs to rediscover those runs and how to jump start them.

Defense and defensive rebounding is where it starts. Earlier this year you could see players hang their heads every time they looked to have some momentum, only to give up an easy bucket. When you make a stop, it gives them a spring in their step on offense.

Then, easy baskets and second chance opportunities sparked yesterday’s run. If I remember correctly: Good passing led to two Pardon slams. Then Pardon cleaned up a miss for a putback. Then Gavin tipped a loose ball out to Vic for a 3. And then, they were off to the races.

What do good defense, ball movement and second chance opportunities have in common? Effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT