ADVERTISEMENT

The Semi-Pro College League

jimmyNU

Sep 12, 2005
#FireMcCall
The recent Supreme Court decision will be the end of college sports as we (I) once enjoyed it. I think the rumors about Texas and Oklahoma are just the tip of the iceberg. I believe that the big name schools will form a super conference that will A) pay players a semi-pro salary and B) break free of the NCAA entirely. My hunch is that it will start with the nucleus of the SEC and eventually expand to be 32 teams just life the NFL. I thing it's horrible, but money ruins pretty much everything.

The only possible silver lining here is that the teams who don't make the transition to semi-pro (which will include NU) might return to something that resembles college football back in the 90s. That's all I can hope for at this point.

Agree except, once again, the SCOTUS didn't rule on NIL. They only ruled on educational expenses. Why is everybody making this mistake?

What is going to happen, was always bound to happen. Just buckle in and enjoy the ride. Our beloved Wildcats will be fine.

Likely true. Football is quite barbaric anyways. Concussion lawsuits will likely end both MMA and Power five Football. Cause and effect

I don't see how NU can compete (monetarily) with the Miami car dealer who is offering $500/month to every (scolarship?) player on Miami U's roster - that is at least a half million dollars a year for just 85 rostered players. And how about $1 million for an Alabama QB who hasn't even taken a snap. Anybody on this board want to step up to the mark? No matter how this shakes out, it won't end well for NU. It can't even fill its stadium with its own fans. Can't see where the money is going to come from for these kids. Whaddya think is going to happen when one of the bigger players in the cash is everything game poaches one of our recruits. Smells bad and ripe for abuse.

Reminds me of a couple sayings: Be careful of what you wish for, and the law of unintended consequences.

I don't see how NU can compete (monetarily) with the Miami car dealer who is offering $500/month to every (scolarship?) player on Miami U's roster - that is at least a half million dollars a year for just 85 rostered players. And how about $1 million for an Alabama QB who hasn't even taken a snap. Anybody on this board want to step up to the mark? No matter how this shakes out, it won't end well for NU. It can't even fill its stadium with its own fans. Can't see where the money is going to come from for these kids. Whaddya think is going to happen when one of the bigger players in the cash is everything game poaches one of our recruits. Smells bad and ripe for abuse.

Reminds me of a couple sayings: Be careful of what you wish for, and the law of unintended consequences.
This is a ridiculous notion. I respect the hell out of you @WaveJumper , but we have to agree to disagree on this one.

The true value prop for NU has always been the diploma, the network, and the high global regard for both.

I would love to see the breakdown on this metric: what does the average NU grad earn compared to the other college graduates? Or even better, those who didn't graduate college?

We will be just fine. Go Cats.

Reactions: RevCat
What is the ridiculous notion? Do you honestly think the argument stressing the value of the NU degree will trump the $6,000 per year per player that the car dealer is offering, or the million dollar QB when put before 4 and 5 star recruits? That it will be difficult for NU to compete with play for pay U? That a watered down Big 10 conference minus OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, possibly Iowa, but adding Kansas and ISU would be able to continue to be attractive to TV content providers? What makes you think that this change benefits NU - a small private University with a paltry season ticket base. This is all about money, power, and football. It has nothing at all to do with acedemia.

If all of what you say happens, Kansas and ISU is no where near an equitable trade for the loss of OSU, Michigan, PSU, and Wisconsin, and future B1G TV revenues will reflect that. I suppose you could say that NU would have an easier road to a B1G championship, but (pardon the expression), that's akin to being the tallest midget.

You have your opinion, I have mine and I definitely do not see the cosmic conference tectonic plate shift, nor the NIL decision as a positive for NU. The focus is on money and power - period. As I have said - I have zero confidence that it will end well for NU. And to use another well used phrase - the proof will be in the pudding.

What is the ridiculous notion? Do you honestly think the argument stressing the value of the NU degree will trump the $6,000 per year per player that the car dealer is offering, or the million dollar QB when put before 4 and 5 star recruits? That it will be difficult for NU to compete with play for pay U? That a watered down Big 10 conference minus OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, possibly Iowa, but adding Kansas and ISU would be able to continue to be attractive to TV content providers? What makes you think that this change benefits NU - a small private University with a paltry season ticket base. This is all about money, power, and football. It has nothing at all to do with acedemia.

If all of what you say happens, Kansas and ISU is no where near an equitable trade for the loss of OSU, Michigan, PSU, and Wisconsin, and future B1G TV revenues will reflect that. I suppose you could say that NU would have an easier road to a B1G championship, but (pardon the expression), that's akin to being the tallest midget.

You have your opinion, I have mine and I definitely do not see the cosmic conference tectonic plate shift, nor the NIL decision as a positive for NU. The focus is on money and power - period. As I have said - I have zero confidence that it will end well for NU. And to use another well used phrase - the proof will be in the pudding.
My buddy is of the opinion that OSU is most likely to stay in the B1G, and we’ll just add Kansas and ISU (or KSU) per my latest thread. They are shrewd negotiators and want something out of all of this realignment. I think I know what it is but it’s just conjecture; my buddy won’t share more than scant details at this point.

But I get your concern. And I agree the proof will be in the pudding. Fitz knows what he’s doing and has brought us this far, and is simply put one of the most respected people in college football. Let’s see what he can do before we throw in the towel.

Agree except, once again, the SCOTUS didn't rule on NIL. They only ruled on educational expenses. Why is everybody making this mistake?
I am guilty of missing that detail. I apologize. However, as I read Kavanaugh's comment below, I think outright compensation is the next unavoidable step.

“Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. ... The NCAA is not above the law,” wrote Kavanaugh, who as a college student played on Yale’s junior varsity basketball team.

I don’t know what Pat Ryan’s business is these days, but he could use 85 spokespersons, and for way less than he spent to give them a barber shop.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
I don’t know what Pat Ryan’s business is these days, but he could use 85 spokespersons, and for way less than he spent to give them a barber shop.

So you think Pat Ryan will single-handedly ride in on his white horse and be the savior of Northwestern football. I seriously doubt that. Do you really think NU has the financial backing within its "fan base" to compete in a dollar war for talent? 35,000 season ticket holders, most of whom don't even donate at the benchwarmer level, aren't even in the peripheral vision of an Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Clemson, and probably even Oklahoma State.

I can't say it any plainer, NU is poorly positioned to fight this war

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and Eurocat
So you think Pat Ryan will single-handedly ride in on his white horse and be the savior of Northwestern football. I seriously doubt that. Do you really think NU has the financial backing within its "fan base" to compete in a dollar war for talent? 35,000 season ticket holders, most of whom don't even donate at the benchwarmer level, aren't even in the peripheral vision of an Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, Clemson, and probably even Oklahoma State.

I can't say it any plainer, NU is poorly positioned to fight this war

As if players weren’t getting paid before …

My buddy is of the opinion that OSU is most likely to stay in the B1G, and we’ll just add Kansas and ISU (or KSU) per my latest thread. They are shrewd negotiators and want something out of all of this realignment. I think I know what it is but it’s just conjecture; my buddy won’t share more than scant details at this point.

But I get your concern. And I agree the proof will be in the pudding. Fitz knows what he’s doing and has brought us this far, and is simply put one of the most respected people in college football. Let’s see what he can do before we throw in the towel.

No remnant of the B12 brings anything to the table financially to the B1G.

Only expansion path that would be worth it to the B1G would be to add 6 ACC schools in due time (Fox would have to pony up some serious cash), making for 2 divisions of 10 teams.

The East or Atlantic being made up of the 6 ACC schools (or maybe ND) plus UMD, RU, PSU and one additional B1G school.

Expanding west to the PAC just doesn't seem feasible due to travel times/costs, esp, since Covid seems here to stay (will need to get vaccinated yearly for new strains).

There will be endorsement opportunities for certain NU athletes with businesses in the Chicagoland area, or at least internships which pay pretty well.

Sure, not going to the million in endorsements that a Bama or dOSU QB would get, but that's the extreme.

Plus, in terms of endorsement opportunities, will be better to be the starting QB (or at another position) at a school then sitting on the bench at Bama or dOSU (look for transfers to increase).

An athlete doesn't need to be with a school to earn the big bucks.

There's a high school BB player who signed an endorsement deal that could worth millions.

He doesn't need a school as he already has 5 million followers; he's now allowed to monetize his worth instead of it all going to whatever college he attends (if he goes) or to the head coach (in the way of shoe/apparel deals - do people really care what brand a coach wears?).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT