ADVERTISEMENT

The view from the Tribune - Comparing Northwestern and Utah

Salt Lake City Tribune that is:

Utah and Northwestern have much in common, as they prepare to meet in Monday’s Holiday Bowl
Former linebackers Kyle Whittingham and Pat Fitzgerald have built tough, overachieving programs.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/12/28/utah-northwestern-have/
There are a couple confusing comments in there... does anyone understand what this means?
“Northwestern, like Utah, is recognized as a program that maximizes its roster. Northwestern was the only Power Five school that offered scholarships to seven current Wildcat starters, The Athletic noted.“

And this one I figured out, it’s some measure of wins vs recruiting stars, but still was not described very well.
“The website PickSixPreviews ranked Utah and Northwestern in the top five nationally over the past five seasons, factoring the numbers of wins and four- and five-star recruits. The Utes and Wildcats are listed behind only Wisconsin, Iowa and Kansas State.“

Looking forward to the game... the core point made in the article that these are similar style programs facing off is a good one.

Go Cats!

There are a couple confusing comments in there... does anyone understand what this means?
“Northwestern, like Utah, is recognized as a program that maximizes its roster. Northwestern was the only Power Five school that offered scholarships to seven current Wildcat starters, The Athletic noted.“

And this one I figured out, it’s some measure of wins vs recruiting stars, but still was not described very well.
“The website PickSixPreviews ranked Utah and Northwestern in the top five nationally over the past five seasons, factoring the numbers of wins and four- and five-star recruits. The Utes and Wildcats are listed behind only Wisconsin, Iowa and Kansas State.“

Looking forward to the game... the core point made in the article that these are similar style programs facing off is a good one.

Go Cats!
It means they overachieve based on their players star rankings and offer lists.

It was a complimentary article, but it is either poorly written or poorly edited. It’s a schizophrenic read.

Go Cats!

It means that seven our starters had no other Power Five offers other than from NU.

Go Cats!

It means that seven our starters had no other Power Five offers other than from NU.

Agreed. I had to go back and read that twice before I eventually came to the interpretation ECat offered.

Last edited:

This sort of stat is why I no longer get concerned if an NU commit has a small offer list. The program has had great success landing players who flew under the radar.

That said, the offer lists for the 2020 recruits so far have been very impressive, and more like that will be how NU stays at the top of the West.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This sort of stat is why I no longer get concerned if an NU commit has a small offer list. The program has had great success landing players who flew under the radar.

That said, the offer lists for the 2020 recruits so far have been very impressive, and more like that will be how NU stays at the top of the West.

That's all fine and dandy if you are happy with where we are at and don't expect us to do better in the future.

Concerned may not be the word, but you should be care if you aspire for us to do better than win the B1G West. How many players on Ohio State's or Clemson's or Alabama's starting line up had no other Power 5 offers?

And yes, I do aspire for us to win the national championship one day. We aren't going to do it with the level of recruits that we have been bringing in. The level of recruits that we've had are going to give us exactly what they have given us so far. If you're happy with that, then great. I'm not. I want MOAR. And Fitz promised MOAR. So let's go get it. We've got some track record now, some momentum, a kid who could have been starting at Clemson had Trevor Lawrence not showed up, one of the premier degrees in Division 1, and the best facilities in the nation. There is no reason to believe we won't recruit better than we have in the past (and we are beginning to show that this year), and do better on the field.

That's all fine and dandy if you are happy with where we are at and don't expect us to do better in the future.

Concerned may not be the word, but you should be care if you aspire for us to do better than win the B1G West. How many players on Ohio State's or Clemson's or Alabama's starting line up had no other Power 5 offers?

And yes, I do aspire for us to win the national championship one day. We aren't going to do it with the level of recruits that we have been bringing in. The level of recruits that we've had are going to give us exactly what they have given us so far. If you're happy with that, then great. I'm not. I want MOAR. And Fitz promised MOAR. So let's go get it. We've got some track record now, some momentum, a kid who could have been starting at Clemson had Trevor Lawrence not showed up, one of the premier degrees in Division 1, and the best facilities in the nation. There is no reason to believe we won't recruit better than we have in the past (and we are beginning to show that this year), and do better on the field.

BTW, watch carefully the QB play during the national championship game. Johnson outperformed Tagovailoa and every other QB in taking the 2017 All-American Bowl MVP honors, and performed well but happened to be beat out by an ethereal Trevor Lawrence at Clemson, who also beat out a starter who won 16 games that many Clemson fans felt Johnson was also superior to, including during his limited but very impressive time in real action on the field, where he completed 78% of his passes.

With all due respect to Clayton Thorson (and all the naysayers who will doubt until he gets onto the field for us in Purple), with Hunter Johnson we are getting a completely different level of QB play and it begins in 2019, and with talent to separate and make plays play alongside him (and now an OL coach hopefully who can build a line to protect him). They say McCall is the QB Whisperer, well, let's see what he can do with the best raw talent he's ever had (and yes, I know he's coached two All-American QBs). While on the other side of the ball, Hank will continue to do what he does. What you see in the national championship game is giving you a hint of things to come for NU. Good things. And yes, we can have them.

Last edited:

Yep, we got the best practice facility in the land. With our tradition, fan support, number of first round draft picks, great game day experience, former home of the incomparable Gary Barnett and preparing our young men for the next 40 years, who in their right mind would ever choose Alabama, Clemson, or OSU over NU.

Yep, we got the best practice facility in the land. With our tradition, fan support, number of first round draft picks, great game day experience, former home of the incomparable Gary Barnett and preparing our young men for the next 40 years, who in their right mind would ever choose Alabama, Clemson, or OSU over NU.
Well, we really only need to get guys to choose NU over ND, Stanford, Michigan, Wisconsin, Cal, Texas, Tex A&M, USC and one of the Florida schools. If we can pick up a 4 or 5 star from each of these schools every year, I think we have a shot.;)

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
The ones with bad grades when they play school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT