ADVERTISEMENT

The whole "talent" thing revisited

ColumbusCatFan1

Jun 18, 2005
I remember posting in a thread last spring/summer where it was argued that NU had talent on par with the upper half of the conference. I countered with a "tiered" response in which I claimed the 'Cats possessed middle tier talent; perhaps representative of 8th or 9th place in the conference. At the two third's mark of the 2017-18 season, I stand by that statement. Even though NU has been severely outplayed by three mediocre opponents over the past four games, I believe the program isn't in as rough shape as it has looked recently.

Teams with superior ability obviously have much more wiggle room when they fail to execute properly. So yes, the baseline for talent in Evanston still needs to be raised higher. Fortunately, that seems to be happening. If NU becomes a top tier BIG program under Collins' watch recruiting, however, won't be the defining reason (it's hard to imagine the 'Cats landing classes like Duke or Michigan State in the short-mid term). Rather it will be CC's ability to mold that talent into a well oiled machine comparable to what we saw in SLC last March as well as preventing what has transpired on and off the court since.

This is a process. We've already seen some amazing byproducts of success, but there's plenty more bumps in the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: scru and Figrating
We are pretty certain that Lathon and Nance start next year. And so far, this year, Mac has looked pretty pedestrian. The four spot has been a suck all year. I think it is easy to see both new starters as easy upgrades - only to what extent. Law and Pardon have been the two most reliable players - so their retention is a big senior plus. Then there is the Lindsey spot. This could be a wash or huge plus, but hard to imagine a drop in production.

First off the bench - now, Falzon/Skelly - you get Falzon/RI (maybe a wash, but a year experience, a year of healing...), now Ash/ Gaines - You have Kopp/Gaines/Turner/Brown/Ash ( there has to be two guys that emerge here - one to start, one to be first in - and then this group also should be a net plus)

Benson - well, another year of experience, growth, weight room - and some big guys take longer. Call it a wash plus.

I think there is every reason to write off this season and hope CCC learned something valuable, maybe even multiple valuable things about managing personalities, identifying leadership, demanding accountability... Next year, we keep our strengths, shed our liabilities and, absent that nasty injury bug, return to viable Dance option.

I have also re-thought my transfer eval. Ash is too old and not enough utility. RI too injured and unproven. Falzon will compete for and could retain the starting four spot. Gaines will have a chance to start also. But, I can really see Brown leaving with all the competition involved. Having been an athletic transfer (into NU in my case), I had to reach out to schools to open the dialogue and also obtain releases from the athletic department to get the talks going. I took my visits over spring break (my season in swimming and diving mirrors bball) and I knew I was going before my sophomore athletic season had ended. I had talked to my coach and he even made a few suggestions.

If Brown is going, he knows is my guess. And so does the staff. It should not stop him from playing, but if CCC no longer feels he can Dance, then it makes sense to play other guys like Gaines and Ash to give them the experience. And, CCC would also know another schollie is opening. Way too many for another freshman in the class unless a total gem fell into his lap. I would look for another lead guard grad transfer or big man underclassman (and we don't have any real big guys currently on the radar so....)

Now to go Felis on you, Schnider Herard is a nice center leaving MissSt. I am sure many more names will pop up over the next few months.

We are pretty certain that Lathon and Nance start next year. And so far, this year, Mac has looked pretty pedestrian. The four spot has been a suck all year. I think it is easy to see both new starters as easy upgrades - only to what extent. Law and Pardon have been the two most reliable players - so their retention is a big senior plus. Then there is the Lindsey spot. This could be a wash or huge plus, but hard to imagine a drop in production.

First off the bench - now, Falzon/Skelly - you get Falzon/RI (maybe a wash, but a year experience, a year of healing...), now Ash/ Gaines - You have Kopp/Gaines/Turner/Brown/Ash ( there has to be two guys that emerge here - one to start, one to be first in - and then this group also should be a net plus)

Benson - well, another year of experience, growth, weight room - and some big guys take longer. Call it a wash plus.

I think there is every reason to write off this season and hope CCC learned something valuable, maybe even multiple valuable things about managing personalities, identifying leadership, demanding accountability... Next year, we keep our strengths, shed our liabilities and, absent that nasty injury bug, return to viable Dance option.

I have also re-thought my transfer eval. Ash is too old and not enough utility. RI too injured and unproven. Falzon will compete for and could retain the starting four spot. Gaines will have a chance to start also. But, I can really see Brown leaving with all the competition involved. Having been an athletic transfer (into NU in my case), I had to reach out to schools to open the dialogue and also obtain releases from the athletic department to get the talks going. I took my visits over spring break (my season in swimming and diving mirrors bball) and I knew I was going before my sophomore athletic season had ended. I had talked to my coach and he even made a few suggestions.

If Brown is going, he knows is my guess. And so does the staff. It should not stop him from playing, but if CCC no longer feels he can Dance, then it makes sense to play other guys like Gaines and Ash to give them the experience. And, CCC would also know another schollie is opening. Way too many for another freshman in the class unless a total gem fell into his lap. I would look for another lead guard grad transfer or big man underclassman (and we don't have any real big guys currently on the radar so....)

Now to go Felis on you, Schnider Herard is a nice center leaving MissSt. I am sure many more names will pop up over the next few months.
Think you have basically nailed it. Still feel Falzon has Big Ten talent if he can recover from his injury and get in BB shape. I was hoping for a grad transfer PG this past off season and really feel it would have helped. Not a fan of Ash but he'll probably stay, especially if brown leaves, which is highly possible. Also another spot may open up if Rap can't recover from his injuries and calls it a career. Lathon needs to come in and start from day one because if not there isn't anyone currently on the roster who can paly lead guard and win. Again a grad transfer might be the only other option. I enjoyed Felis potential transfer list last season and hope we see more of that. If you got some, bring them on and hope the coaches are listening as well. Changes need to be made, after they put season in the rearview mirror.

Think you have basically nailed it. Still feel Falzon has Big Ten talent if he can recover from his injury and get in BB shape. I was hoping for a grad transfer PG this past off season and really feel it would have helped. Not a fan of Ash but he'll probably stay, especially if brown leaves, which is highly possible. Also another spot may open up if Rap can't recover from his injuries and calls it a career. Lathon needs to come in and start from day one because if not there isn't anyone currently on the roster who can paly lead guard and win. Again a grad transfer might be the only other option. I enjoyed Felis potential transfer list last season and hope we see more of that. If you got some, bring them on and hope the coaches are listening as well. Changes need to be made, after they put season in the rearview mirror.

If Brown leaves and RI retires, they we really be lopsided on schollies. You would have to expect they either bring in two transfers or give one to a walkon.

Excellent post. Do you truly think CC has written off this season, though? A lot of games in the BIG left and a lot of teams that are a lot like us...

Excellent post. Do you truly think CC has written off this season, though? A lot of games in the BIG left and a lot of teams that are a lot like us...

Exactly. If CC has written this season off already, he should be fired.

And for the record, I don't think he's written the season off. Stupid to think he has.

I don't know if CCC has, but it sure looks far too often that the team has. They accomplished their goal a year early and never really bought in to a new goal for this season.

It just seems like we have good athletes who are good players....but too many of them are either the same guys,.,,tall , face the basket spot shooter....with little post up ,or dribble drive ability. They are also weak in man to man as they just have slow first steps...not their fault just kind of long legged. I thought over the years they should have developed Scotty Lindsays post up abilities.You can find a spot for one of those guys in a rotation but not three or four. Our other two point guards Ash and Brown can put the ball on the floor but the high pick and roll that we run requires them to finish at the basket and score....and it seems like they are not good finishers yet at the hoop. It would be different if they just distributed to the wings who could dribble penetrate..or they ran the pick and roll from the wing. So just a lot of guys that just do not seem to have the skill set for the offense they run and the tough man to man D you see in the B10. You hope that CC was able to recruit to his system with this 2018 class. So from my perspective you have two players that have the skill set for their position...Bmac and Pardon. Even Law , who is a great athlete is average at taking the ball to the basket....So we kind of live and die with the 3. I do think the zone fits our defensive abilities better.
Just gonna keep rooting for this group that they find a way out...cant forget what they did last year.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
All good points, Bobbo. Hate to think you're right about Brown, although it certainly doesn't seem farfetched. Love his ability to drive and to take - and hit - big shots. I just hope he and CCC can get on the same page here at some point. As for Rap, is this just worst-case-scenario speculation, or do we have legitimate reason to think his injuries are career-ending?

It just seems like we have good athletes who are good players....but too many of them are either the same guys,.,,tall , face the basket spot shooter....with little post up ,or dribble drive ability. They are also weak in man to man as they just have slow first steps...not their fault just kind of long legged. I thought over the years they should have developed Scotty Lindsays post up abilities.You can find a spot for one of those guys in a rotation but not three or four. Our other two point guards Ash and Brown can put the ball on the floor but the high pick and roll that we run requires them to finish at the basket and score....and it seems like they are not good finishers yet at the hoop. It would be different if they just distributed to the wings who could dribble penetrate..or they ran the pick and roll from the wing. So just a lot of guys that just do not seem to have the skill set for the offense they run and the tough man to man D you see in the B10. You hope that CC was able to recruit to his system with this 2018 class. So from my perspective you have two players that have the skill set for their position...Bmac and Pardon. Even Law , who is a great athlete is average at taking the ball to the basket....So we kind of live and die with the 3. I do think the zone fits our defensive abilities better.
Just gonna keep rooting for this group that they find a way out...cant forget what they did last year.

Definitely some things to think about, Loyola.

Carmody was once quoted as saying his staff valued athleticism (Hacad/Parker/Thompson) over fit (Moore/Marcotullio) early on in his tenure. They tried to barrel into the tournament in hopes of gaining program momentum. As the years passed without a NCAA bid, the staff clearly went in the opposite direction.

Perhaps, we'll see a more targeted approach to recruiting in the future now that CC and Co. has momentum and tournament credentials to back up their pitch?

Last edited:
If the coaches are listening to us, we are in more trouble than anyone thinks.

I don't know if CCC has, but it sure looks far too often that the team has. They accomplished their goal a year early and never really bought in to a new goal for this season.
Honestly, this happens a lot. Going into and through last year, everyone is focused on the common goal ad to playing even more as a unit and everyone having everyone else's back. . But after accomplished, harder to maintain that intensity and focus. Kids not working as hard, not doing that extra set, or taking that extra 100 shots etc. A little jealousy and wondering who gets accolades, personality conflicts and they no longer play as much as a unit. It doesn't take much Often the difference between stellar performance and mediocre is really, really small and losing that focus or edge is all it takes

the way the current roster has played i would expect all the freshmen to get a chance unless great improvement happens in the offseason.

i see lathon, kopp, and nance all possibly starting or playing significant minutes with law and pardon. i would assume the plan would be to red-shirt young but with the lack of production from benson its possible he gets a shot too.

gaines, ash, and brown all have had significant chances to grab a lead position going into this next season and no one has taken it. to me it makes sense to go young until someone older steps up.

Reactions: freewillie07
I don't know - what is the offense NU is supposed to run? It's basically an isolation- and pick-and-roll-based offense designed to penetration and kickouts, yes? I'd call it Dribble-Drive Motion (DDM), though a) I don't know if that term is in and out of style, and b) I don't think we can define that as the set when only two guys can drive the ball.

the way the current roster has played i would expect all the freshmen to get a chance unless great improvement happens in the offseason.

i see lathon, kopp, and nance all possibly starting or playing significant minutes with law and pardon. i would assume the plan would be to red-shirt young but with the lack of production from benson its possible he gets a shot too.

gaines, ash, and brown all have had significant chances to grab a lead position going into this next season and no one has taken it. to me it makes sense to go young until someone older steps up.

Turner should be a key player.

Hopefully no injuries stinting their development

All good points, Bobbo. Hate to think you're right about Brown, although it certainly doesn't seem farfetched. Love his ability to drive and to take - and hit - big shots. I just hope he and CCC can get on the same page here at some point. As for Rap, is this just worst-case-scenario speculation, or do we have legitimate reason to think his injuries are career-ending?

Pretty much speculation except:
1. Shoulders are tough joints to fix compared to knees
2. How many athletes have you know to miss two years for multiple surgeries to the same body part and return? At what kind of timeline was that professional, high grade athlete's return to normality?

I am hoping I am wrong on this one but....

I don't think there's any argument with Columbus' initial idea that NU's foundational talent needs to improve, so there is some wiggle room.

But I think there's something missing in the conversation about talent evaluation. Overall, I might be able to accept the foundational talent of this team is 8th or 9th in the league. But that doesn't mean every player is 8th or 9th best. Yet, most have performed at that level, and there are few alternatives.

Going forward, I'm concerned about Collins' devotion to players who consistently underperform.

At this point in his program, I can understand it. Collins is still in a bit of that program-building mode where he needs to go with what he has. But part of improving the foundational talent is also kicking up that second team (fewer "projects") so you're not devoted to a leading scorer who scores in the single digits two out of every three games ... so your supposed game-changing three-point shooter isn't a guy coming off an injury who offers no defense and no ability to drive ... so you have a backup point guard.

And let's not forget the defense.

The Cats are going into next year with Law, Pardon, a freshman point guard and the possibility of two freshmen or Falzon at the other two spots.

Yes, NU needs to improve its first five. But I hope they also concentrate more on the whole roster so they are better prepared such as some of the very real possibilities I think we'll see next year.

Pretty much speculation except:
1. Shoulders are tough joints to fix compared to knees
2. How many athletes have you know to miss two years for multiple surgeries to the same body part and return? At what kind of timeline was that professional, high grade athlete's return to normality?

I am hoping I am wrong on this one but....
Vedran Vukusic (sp?) two shoulder surgeries a year apart and then a pretty good career at NU.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Vedran was awesome and iirc he ended up a redshirt freshman. I think he re-injured his shoulder a couple of times over his NU career, but I don't think they were season endings, they just felt that way during the games.

I don't think there's any argument with Columbus' initial idea that NU's foundational talent needs to improve, so there is some wiggle room.

But I think there's something missing in the conversation about talent evaluation. Overall, I might be able to accept the foundational talent of this team is 8th or 9th in the league. But that doesn't mean every player is 8th or 9th best. Yet, most have performed at that level, and there are few alternatives.

Going forward, I'm concerned about Collins' devotion to players who consistently underperform.

At this point in his program, I can understand it. Collins is still in a bit of that program-building mode where he needs to go with what he has. But part of improving the foundational talent is also kicking up that second team (fewer "projects") so you're not devoted to a leading scorer who scores in the single digits two out of every three games ... so your supposed game-changing three-point shooter isn't a guy coming off an injury who offers no defense and no ability to drive ... so you have a backup point guard.

And let's not forget the defense.

The Cats are going into next year with Law, Pardon, a freshman point guard and the possibility of two freshmen or Falzon at the other two spots.

Yes, NU needs to improve its first five. But I hope they also concentrate more on the whole roster so they are better prepared such as some of the very real possibilities I think we'll see next year.

Great/interesting post and on topic to boot. Much appreciated.

Evan Eschmeyer. NBA player with horrible feet at NU.

Ok, good example though not sure the surgical intervention. Now is RI a NBA level athlete? If not, how does that experience translate down the talent pole?

It's been a long time, but my memory of Vedran is that he came in pretty much ready to play as a freshman - closest comparison would be Falzon, but Vedran was better. Of course, I don't remember much about his defense because Carmody.
From what I've seen of Rap, he lacks the smoothness and finesse - he seems a bit unsure and clumsy to me.

After tonight, I think you shut down Falzon until he is fully healthy. Play in controlled practices but ensure he gets back to 100% going into summer. Start Mac, Gaines, Law, Skelly and Pardon. Lindsey can be the 6 and if he plays well, get minutes, if not, play Ash and Brown. Play a little Benson and Pardon together. Nothing left to lose. Maybe something clicks and you catch a lineup to run into the NIT or upset the BTT. I think conventional approach is worthless. Time to experiment and to reward / punish.

Reactions: NJCat
I think you get Gaines steadily more court time, but I don't give up on Lindsey - possibly losing his minutes steadily to Gaines will drive him to greater competitiveness and possibly a return to more consistent success.

I think you get Gaines steadily more court time, but I don't give up on Lindsey - possibly losing his minutes steadily to Gaines will drive him to greater competitiveness and possibly a return to more consistent success.

Ok, I can live with that - but throw a start his way in place of Lindsey. See what kind of fire it lights.

If you go back, I have touted Lindsey from the beginning. Really hoping he would come around until boom - he did last year. He looks like the sophomore version. Quite frankly, his time at NU is running out. If hopes to play professionally overseas, then he needs to get it going again. But that is his problem. NU has given him plenty of opportunities and should look for the future now. Gaines is possibly part of that future. Time to pass some of those opportunities down to the next gen.

Only Mac, in my mind, has played with the heart and determination to command to play it out. Otherwise, I would say get some more Ash and Brown time too. But Mac justly deserves to go down as NU HOFer like JJTBC play as much as he wants in his last season, IMHO.

It's been a long time, but my memory of Vedran is that he came in pretty much ready to play as a freshman - closest comparison would be Falzon, but Vedran was better. Of course, I don't remember much about his defense because Carmody.
From what I've seen of Rap, he lacks the smoothness and finesse - he seems a bit unsure and clumsy to me.
When Vedran came aboard he looked and played like a seasoned veteran. It definitely was the same shoulder and in fact talked a bit about it with the team physician at the time. Rap just doesn't physically look like he's ready to play right now but of course he has lots of time to develop, if the shoulder lets him.

Ok, I can live with that - but throw a start his way in place of Lindsey. See what kind of fire it lights.

If you go back, I have touted Lindsey from the beginning. Really hoping he would come around until boom - he did last year. He looks like the sophomore version. Quite frankly, his time at NU is running out. If hopes to play professionally overseas, then he needs to get it going again. But that is his problem. NU has given him plenty of opportunities and should look for the future now. Gaines is possibly part of that future. Time to pass some of those opportunities down to the next gen.

Only Mac, in my mind, has played with the heart and determination to command to play it out. Otherwise, I would say get some more Ash and Brown time too. But Mac justly deserves to go down as NU HOFer like JJTBC play as much as he wants in his last season, IMHO.
Agree that Mac deserves his minutes and also feel that both Law and pardon do as well. The team needs scoring and should give more minutes to Falzon, until he says he can't go. Might want to try a line-up of Pardo, Law. Falzon or Gaines, Brown and Mac. Lindsey and Skelly both need to watch more.

Vedran was awesome and iirc he ended up a redshirt freshman. I think he re-injured his shoulder a couple of times over his NU career, but I don't think they were season endings, they just felt that way during the games.

Vedran played his entire freshman year (2001-02), but was somewhat limited as his shoulder kept popping out of its socket. He had surgery in the off-season after his freshman year to correct this, but then re-injured it before his would-be sophomore season. Vedran wound up sitting out the 2002-03 season and then averaged 35+ minutes per game the next three seasons, averaging 19 points per game as a senior.

VV is still one of my all-time Wildcats. Clutch shooter and great all-around player.

Incidentally, BMac just passed Vedran last night to move to #7 on the all-time Northwestern career scoring list.

When Vedran came aboard he looked and played like a seasoned veteran. It definitely was the same shoulder and in fact talked a bit about it with the team physician at the time. Rap just doesn't physically look like he's ready to play right now but of course he has lots of time to develop, if the shoulder lets him.
Yeah, I suspect Rap might be on the six year plan if Collins continues to believe in him.

I'm ok with giving him a start, or a few starts, and seeing what happens.

I like Lindsey, who reminds me a bit of Jason Burke in his streaky, jittery way. I thought he'd moved past that last year, and I still believe he has a lot to give to the team this year - coach just needs to find ways to help him focus and motervate and finish his career with some positives.

How would he look ready? His arm is still in a sling as of last night. When was the surgery? Hard to improve when it is still imobilized

How would he look ready? His arm is still in a sling as of last night. When was the surgery? Hard to improve when it is still imobilized
Didn't he practice with the team in the offseason or even just before the games began?

Didn't he practice with the team in the offseason or even just before the games began?
Did you see him then? I did not. But based on when the decision was to go back under the knife, he probably was still hurt

After tonight, I think you shut down Falzon until he is fully healthy. Play in controlled practices but ensure he gets back to 100% going into summer. Start Mac, Gaines, Law, Skelly and Pardon. Lindsey can be the 6 and if he plays well, get minutes, if not, play Ash and Brown. Play a little Benson and Pardon together. Nothing left to lose. Maybe something clicks and you catch a lineup to run into the NIT or upset the BTT. I think conventional approach is worthless. Time to experiment and to reward / punish.
You already have a really short bench so if you shelve him...

ADVERTISEMENT