ADVERTISEMENT

Theory on HJ from someone who claimed to be an insider?

wildcatcoaster

Oct 27, 2003
Sitting behind me at Ryan Field... could be just nonsense talk. But what he claimed was.....

"Hunter is having a serious family issue unrelated to him and the staff is keeping him out knowing this season is largely shot and will pettition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility"

I'd not heard this before, but seems more likely than the alternative, that he is so impossibly bad that Fitz won't play him over a guy who has produced 3 points in two weeks.

Reactions: ricko654321
Sitting behind me at Ryan Field... could be just nonsense talk. But what he claimed was.....

"Hunter is having a serious family issue unrelated to him and the staff is keeping him out knowing this season is largely shot and will pettition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility"

Have heard this too. Not sure if true, but sources were also people close to the program.

I'd not heard this before, but seems more likely than the alternative, that he is so impossibly bad that Fitz won't play him over a guy who has produced 3 points in two weeks.

Well that would explain some things.

And out of respect for this potentially being true, I am going to refrain from demanding that Hunter play and getting answers out of Fitz until further notice. I suggest everyone do the same.

There are more important things in life than football.

Last edited:
And out of respect for this potentially being true, I am going to refrain from demanding that Hunter play and getting answers out of Fitz until further notice. I suggest everyone do the same.

There are more important things in life than football.
I mean how hard is it to say something thoughtful and still respectful if there is an issue?

I mean how hard is it to say something thoughtful and still respectful if there is an issue?
Yes. I realize Fitz does not “owe” an explanation on anything but saying nothing seems to be doing more harm to Hunter’s reputation than at least saying something minimal and non-specific that he may be held out because of a non-football related circumstance. TV cameras show him suited up, helmet on, looking healthy like he’s ready to go into the game but gets zero snaps the past two weeks even in garbage time. From that, many will simply draw a conclusion that he’s a bust if he cannot get snaps ahead of the third or fourth string QB’s.

That would fit with what we've seen. I would owe Fitz an apology in that case.

What?! I would apologize to Fitz for thinking he's an idiot, but let's not excuse the poor receivers, inadequate OL play, and lack of a backup QB even though three guys not named Green and Johnson have been in the program multiple years.

Yes. I realize Fitz does not “owe” an explanation on anything but saying nothing seems to be doing more harm to Hunter’s reputation than at least saying something minimal and non-specific that he may be held out because of a non-football related circumstance. TV cameras show him suited up, helmet on, looking healthy like he’s ready to go into the game but gets zero snaps the past two weeks even in garbage time. From that, many will simply draw a conclusion that he’s a bust if he cannot get snaps ahead of the third or fourth string QB’s.

Yes exactly. You even have people purportedly from Hunter's hometown of Brownsburg coming on here to say he was over-hyped. It's not a good situation for anyone.

Are there any board experts who know how petitioning for a sixth year would even work in this circumstance? I thought a family hardship waiver was usually to avoid having to sit out a year after transferring?

Reactions: Bwm57
If so, this doesn't let McCall off the hook for the offense going from barely adequate to miserable. It's recruiting, player development, game planning, etc. If the ability of your offense to function even at the lowest possible level is dependent on one guy with family problems, the problem lies elsewhere.

I find this disrespectful to HJ if this is the real reason, but more to Aidan. He's basically punching bag being put in to absorb this season since it's already lost.

This whole situation feels mismanaged

If McCall is still a coach at Northwestern next year I have to imagine some players will mentally check out

I find this disrespectful to HJ if this is the real reason, but more to Aidan. He's basically punching bag being put in to absorb this season since it's already lost.

If McCall is still a coach at Northwestern next year I have to imagine some players will mentally check out

my guess is Smith would rather play and get pummeled than never see action at all.

my guess is Smith would rather play and get pummeled than never see action at all.
Smith cannot be the goat here, and I know you are not saying that. He is a victim of the circumstances. There are adults in the room, who seem to have left the room.

Reactions: drewjin
exactly what kind of family issue could warrant a college athlete dialing out for a season?
Only thing I can think of is a parent with terminal cancer?
Not talking about Hunter or suggesting the post is true, just wondering how a college athlete could mail in a year (with reason) and get an extra year granted?

And if a player only plays in 4 games, then maybe such player can bag another year.
But mccall should be fired on monday or its treason against the fans.

Doesn’t make much sense.

Reactions: Bwm57
Doesn’t make much sense.

Actually, it makes more sense than any other explanation. I'm just not sure about the 6th year of eligibility. That's way different than suggesting he has a family issue that has made it difficult for him to fully grasp the playbook.

Actually, it makes more sense than any other explanation. I'm just not sure about the 6th year of eligibility. That's way different than suggesting he has a family issue that has made it difficult for him to fully grasp the playbook.

I can’t think of a family situation that could possibly result in a sixth year of eligibility.

I can’t think of a family situation that could possibly result in a sixth year of eligibility.

Yes, I agree.

But I think the notion that there is some family stuff going on in the background that is stunting Hunter's development... kinda holds up? But given that the 6th year thing seems unlikely, we are still left with wondering why not get your future QB game experience now?

Yes, I agree.

But I think the notion that there is some family stuff going on in the background that is stunting Hunter's development... kinda holds up? But given that the 6th year thing seems unlikely, we are still left with wondering why not get your future QB game experience now?

The whole claim seems very far fetched.

Reactions: phatcat
Yes, I agree.

if he has serious family issues then that may mean he has to blow off practices to support a loved one. If thats the case then Fitz has to play Smith.

The whole claim seems very far fetched.

For what it's worth, there's a post with more purported details on the family situation over on InsideNU's Rapid Reaction comment section. I don't want to link to it because I'm don't like divulging all of that, but, again, without any comments from Fitz, this at least cools the HUNTER IS A 5 STAR BUST garbage from some folks.

If true, Hunter would not be the first student-athlete who had a family situation turn into a year away from sports.

Reactions: hdhntr1
If true, Hunter would not be the first student-athlete who had a family situation turn into a year away from sports.
Yes. And regardless of what he does for the Cats on the football field, he is a human being with a family to support and we need to be mindful of that.

I think we all need to watch our tone and be respectful of his privacy.

This is a public message board about a game played by 20 year olds in exchange for an education. I don’t think it’s appropriate to speculate about whatever may be going on with his family or any other players’ families.

Last edited:
Yep. And regardless of what he does for the Cats on the football field, he is a human being with a family to support and we need to respect that.

If I’m wrong, then I apologize to all parties involved. However I think we all need to watch our tone.

I have felt the staff have mishandled HJ. I think it is stupid dumb to have a complicated playbook to run the worst O in the country. If I had been McCall, hearing whispers in the hallways, I would have spent last year debriefing HJ on the Clemson playbook and looking for ways to replicate. Granted personnel differences - but something less than rocket science compared to our failed book.

I would like to believe the line play will improve w the new coach. That said, I would start w firing McCall, letting PF know the new OC will be given the choice to retain or replace any coaches he wants and that PF best minimize his interference w the O, less he find himself w an Associate Head Coach working the O...or hanging w gcg to find that next $6MM HC job for a guy w a giant ego and little field accomplishments. I don’t see ND or MI calling.

But HJ was a gift. Absent his transfer, this was set to be the show it has become anyway. A total failure. WR still suck as a group.

PF will regret the day he said #dontcare. His leash is running thin and long. As the fans embrace the suck and #dontcare, soon Ryan and the AD will be forced to #care.

Reactions: mikero3

Or physically. Retire?

Reactions: drewjin
For what it's worth, there's a post with more purported details on the family situation over on InsideNU's Rapid Reaction comment section. I don't want to link to it because I'm don't like divulging all of that, but, again, without any comments from Fitz, this at least cools the HUNTER IS A 5 STAR BUST garbage from some folks.
Who cares if he is a “5 star bust” or not. We are a bad football team with or without him, and I’d bet a Sheridan Road mansion that it will be addressed by Fitz at the appropriate time.

Thank you for not linking to whatever this rapid reactions page is. If they’re airing that type of personal information about anybody then it sounds like a cesspool.

Who cares if he is a “5 star bust” or not. We are a bad football team with or without him, and I’d bet a Sheridan Road mansion that it will be addressed by Fitz at the appropriate time.

Thank you for not linking to whatever this rapid reactions page is. If they’re airing that type of personal information about anybody then it sounds like a cesspool.
Can you explain your confidence it will be addressed? Not doubting, but I would like to hear your basis.

Can you explain your confidence it will be addressed? Not doubting, but I would like to hear your basis.
Sure. I think we’re going to end up with a 2-10 or 3-9 record - not the end of the world but pretty jarring considering the preseason hype. It will be our worst season since 2002 unless drastic changes are made this week, which seems highly unlikely.

While a rebuilding year can be expected once in a while, our offense has been abysmally bad - perhaps the worst in the entire country. Our defense and special teams have performed well enough to win, and if we had any offensive production we’d still be in contention for a bowl. I expect this to result in a cacophony of voices surrounding Fitz, and regardless of what he says in press conferences I assure you he does care deeply about winning.

Pat Ryan and other large donors do too. They gave him his $250M dream facility and he quickly landed perhaps the most heavily recruited player in our program’s history. Even if Fitz doesn’t listen to any fans or the media, I assure you he will answer when PR and others ask what the hell happened.

He will have to rely on his mentors and perform an objective review of his staff. And based on what we all know and love about Fitz, he will handle offensive coaching changes in a private, classy, and respectful manner.

Or he won’t, and the powers that be (big donors) will handle him. Fitz is a smart coach and knows this will be the case.

To paraphrase one of the best Chicago-based movies of all time: nobody is untouchable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT