ADVERTISEMENT

Theory on HJ from someone who claimed to be an insider?

Because he can clearly physically play. Probably an emergency QB situation at worst.

Exactly this.

I still believe we will see Hunter play again this season, even as soon as this week against Indiana.

Anyone who claims full transparency on the QB issue is lying. Right now all we can surmise is a combination of getting banged up against Wisconsin plus recent family developments caused Fitz/McCall to make the executive decision to sit him out for a bit.

Exactly this.

I still believe we will see Hunter play again this season, even as soon as this week against Indiana.

Anyone who claims full transparency on the QB issue is lying. Right now all we can surmise is a combination of getting banged up against Wisconsin plus recent family developments caused Fitz/McCall to make the executive decision to sit him out for a bit.
Well Fitz can say, that he played because he's from Indiana.

Lol! If I had a plane I would donate it to charity. Given my size flying is not my favorite thing, so I don’t do it unless I have to. @IGNORE’s got thick skin too and can take a joke (although many didn’t get that my Akron posts were just another level of smartassery).

The objective way is to track him down after another loss and ask him how angry he is about it.

If he says he’s mad as hell and he won’t take it anymore - madder than any Northwestern on the planet and he wants to open the windows from his mansion and shout it out to the world - then I think I would win?

Who knows. Fitz got to where he is because of his passion, and nobody has fought harder nor sacrificed more over the totality of his lifetime for NU football than he has. If we go 2-10 and changes don’t occur, then he should go talk football on the BTN like DiNardo because he has lost his passion.

Having grown up in the same neighborhood, knowing him before college, I would say PF has had head growth beyond what he can handle. His head no longer fits through the door. It’s the biggest thing on the sidelines. It’s the token of gcgs admiration and something corgi wants to have someday when he grows up.

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark
Having grown up in the same neighborhood, knowing him before college, I would say PF has had head growth beyond what he can handle. His head no longer fits through the door. It’s the biggest thing on the sidelines. It’s the token of gcgs admiration and something corgi wants to have someday when he grows up.
Well if a miserable season doesn’t teach him some humility, nothing will at this point. He gets paid the big bucks for a reason and will figure it out.

I’m thinking about hitting up the OSU-Rutgers game. Any chance you’d fly into the east coast to catch a game live? Lol!

Exactly this.

I hope you're right and that we do see Johnson play again. I'm skeptical though. Fitz gave Smith the whole game against Iowa, not even giving Johnson the chance to provide a "spark."

Yes. I realize Fitz does not “owe” an explanation on anything but saying nothing seems to be doing more harm to Hunter’s reputation than at least saying something minimal and non-specific that he may be held out because of a non-football related circumstance. TV cameras show him suited up, helmet on, looking healthy like he’s ready to go into the game but gets zero snaps the past two weeks even in garbage time. From that, many will simply draw a conclusion that he’s a bust if he cannot get snaps ahead of the third or fourth string QB’s.
And have people think it is because of violation of team rules???? That rumor would likely tarnish him going forward

exactly what kind of family issue could warrant a college athlete dialing out for a season?
Only thing I can think of is a parent with terminal cancer?
Not talking about Hunter or suggesting the post is true, just wondering how a college athlete could mail in a year (with reason) and get an extra year granted?

And if a player only plays in 4 games, then maybe such player can bag another year.
But mccall should be fired on monday or its treason against the fans.
Could be of a sibling or nasty divorce as well. Could be plenty of reasons.

I don’t think money does that. I think losing does that.
Could be both, especially after last year. He got us to the edge of the promised land and a mere months later and he is second guessed on everything.

Yes, I agree.

But I think the notion that there is some family stuff going on in the background that is stunting Hunter's development... kinda holds up? But given that the 6th year thing seems unlikely, we are still left with wondering why not get your future QB game experience now?
Who is to say that the NCAA could not be challenged on this? They make all kind of waivers for things for all kinds of reasons. Then again, many on this board only felt we would have him for a couple years

I have felt the staff have mishandled HJ. I think it is stupid dumb to have a complicated playbook to run the worst O in the country. If I had been McCall, hearing whispers in the hallways, I would have spent last year debriefing HJ on the Clemson playbook and looking for ways to replicate. Granted personnel differences - but something less than rocket science compared to our failed book.

I would like to believe the line play will improve w the new coach. That said, I would start w firing McCall, letting PF know the new OC will be given the choice to retain or replace any coaches he wants and that PF best minimize his interference w the O, less he find himself w an Associate Head Coach working the O...or hanging w gcg to find that next $6MM HC job for a guy w a giant ego and little field accomplishments. I don’t see ND or MI calling.

But HJ was a gift. Absent his transfer, this was set to be the show it has become anyway. A total failure. WR still suck as a group.

PF will regret the day he said #dontcare. His leash is running thin and long. As the fans embrace the suck and #dontcare, soon Ryan and the AD will be forced to #care.
I think a big part of the problem is the lack of any hint of a TE. The hole left by the sudden retirement of Green is huge. TE or SB, it is a security blanket for the QB(especially a young and inexperienced one) that just has not been there. How much different would this O look with a solid TE/SB?

...because the NFL has active roster limits and college doesn’t....

If a player is away from the team for a personal reason you want the coach to unnecessarily make him feel like less of a member of the team? Jeeze.

A player may be with the team at some times and not at others due to a personal reason.

Pros of not dressing him: fans know he isn’t going to play.
Cons of not dressing him: he’s made to feel less a part of the team, the coaches get the flak and not the players If reason isn’t disclosed, he isn’t able to play if all other qbs get hurt, he’s inherently separated from the team.

you can have your own personal preference but if this is all true Fitz is handling this in a way we should be proud of.
I think you are still limited on how many can dress and travel to away games

"BTW Randy Walker never even let injured players on the sidelines. Why Albrecht got caught drinking in the stands and one time and after a tough loss against Bowling Green...I walked out with Marquise Cole who had to walk back to campus with a Boot on. He didn't go to the postgame team meeting."

Why did he walk to campus with a boot?

It would have been more painful barefooted

Why the hell would you put such unfounded crap on these boards? Why?
He just said the only reason he could think of was terminal illness of a parent. I just suggested that there could be other reasons as well. Get over yourself

Reactions: IGNORE
In his career, Colter completed 69% of his passes at 6.8 yards per attempt for 18 TDs and 9 INTs. In 2012, when he played the most, NU had its best scoring season ever under Mick McCall, ranking 42nd nationally in scoring. He certainly wasn't asked to do everything a full-time starting QB would be, but I struggle to see how playing him was an awful idea. If our offense was that good this year we might be 5-2.

Yeah, but anybody that had a clue could see Trevor Siemian was a better a QB. The NFL certainly did.

He just said the only reason he could think of was terminal illness of a parent. I just suggested that there could be other reasons as well. Get over yourself

This kind of unfounded speculation is unnecessary, and frankly, kind of crazy. God, get a life.

Reactions: willycat
This kind of unfounded speculation is unnecessary, and frankly, kind of crazy. God, get a life.
I was not speculating anything. Someone else put that he could only think of one personal reason and that would be terminal illness of a parent. I just suggested that there could be potentially other reasons that would have a similar affect

Yes. I realize Fitz does not “owe” an explanation on anything but saying nothing seems to be doing more harm to Hunter’s reputation than at least saying something minimal and non-specific that he may be held out because of a non-football related circumstance. TV cameras show him suited up, helmet on, looking healthy like he’s ready to go into the game but gets zero snaps the past two weeks even in garbage time. From that, many will simply draw a conclusion that he’s a bust if he cannot get snaps ahead of the third or fourth string QB’s.
One's reputation is built on character and there is nothing wrong with Hunter's. I doubt anybody, including Hunter is too worried about what some jackasses sitting in front of TVs are thinking about him. His image as a QB can and will change over time - and this year will not matter much to any but our fans, who will hopefully then see it as a necessary disappointment on the road to brighter days and bigger rewards. Hey - it is the first bad year we've had since the Colter union fiasco. Let's not blow it all out of proportion.

Reactions: freewillie07
I think a big part of the problem is the lack of any hint of a TE. The hole left by the sudden retirement of Green is huge. TE or SB, it is a security blanket for the QB(especially a young and inexperienced one) that just has not been there. How much different would this O look with a solid TE/SB?
In many ways I think this is 50% or more of the problem. Without question. We have been spoiled here for a decade.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I was not speculating anything. Someone else put that he could only think of one personal reason and that would be terminal illness of a parent. I just suggested that there could be potentially other reasons that would have a similar affect

Stop. As I said before, there is a comment over on InsideNU (I guess from a gossipy parent or something at Ten Mile House in Evanston) that divulges some specifics if you insist on getting them. But I’m not going to link to it.

My god... I would kill to have Colter back at QB these days. I can't remember a more fun NU team, after the 2000 team, then that team with Colter and Mark running wild.
It’d be nice if it worked for more than one season - I recall 2013 we tried the same thing with less success. B1G defenses figured it out quickly so I doubt it would.

Stop. As I said before, there is a comment over on InsideNU (I guess from a gossipy parent or something at Ten Mile House in Evanston) that divulges some specifics if you insist on getting them. But I’m not going to link to it.

Given some of the ridiculous speculation, I am surprised no one offered the most plausible explanation - HJK5H

It’d be nice if it worked for more than one season - I recall 2013 we tried the same thing with less success. B1G defenses figured it out quickly so I doubt it would.
Both guys were banged up in ‘13 weren’t they?

Just don't think that suggesting a kids possible personal problems belong on a football message board.

Well if a miserable season doesn’t teach him some humility, nothing will at this point. He gets paid the big bucks for a reason and will figure it out.

I’m thinking about hitting up the OSU-Rutgers game. Any chance you’d fly into the east coast to catch a game live? Lol!

Normally, yes. But I’m still in the Philippines and will need a little home time w the gf before we close out the year w a bunch of trips. Next time.

That is all the boards are for - unfounded speculation and argument. No safe space here, you are going to need to stay on the Rock for the Koom-By-Ah routine.

You do realize that you are agreeing w Willy, right?

That is all the boards are for - unfounded speculation and argument. No safe space here, you are going to need to stay on the Rock for the Koom-By-Ah routine.
Typical classless trash from you. And once again, my main point goes whooshing over your head. Try to keep up.

You do realize that you are agreeing w Willy, right?

No sh*t Sherlock.

One's reputation is built on character and there is nothing wrong with Hunter's. I doubt anybody, including Hunter is too worried about what some jackasses sitting in front of TVs are thinking about him. His image as a QB can and will change over time - and this year will not matter much to any but our fans, who will hopefully then see it as a necessary disappointment on the road to brighter days and bigger rewards. Hey - it is the first bad year we've had since the Colter union fiasco. Let's not blow it all out of proportion.
Character notwithstanding, and he is a terrific person by all accounts, if he is ready to go and isn't playing, this must be agonizing. Not only is he a competitor that wants to help the team, but he is watching this cadaver of an offense knowing that the coaches don't have confidence that he can improve us from worst in the country. Finally, while it may seem far-fetched to is, there are tens of millions of dollars at stake. Let's say he'd gone to another FBS school with a top 50 offense and won the job, he might be a first day draft pick and have a 10 year NFL career. Heck, if he'd have gone to some Big 12 school and put up big #s he could declare THIS YEAR.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of mindf*** from Fitz for him not lifting the toilet seat or something.

Typical classless trash from you. And once again, my main point goes whooshing over your head. Try to keep up.

No sh*t Sherlock.
Then stay on the Rock. Nobody’s listening to directives from you or Willy. Or go beg Lou to ban everyone. When he also ignores you, you can always seek out a safe space elsewhere. How’s that for keeping up w the snowflake community?

Then stay on the Rock. Nobody’s listening to directives from you or Willy. Or go beg Lou to ban everyone. When he also ignores you, you can always seek out a safe space elsewhere. How’s that for keeping up w the snowflake community?
Whaa?

Reactions: DaCat
LOL. When did I give directives? Stop being a snowflake, man up and grow a pair.

Great post.

pay no attention to the trolls.
I didnt know that a family divorce could buy a 6th year but it now makes sense to me.

LOL. When did I give directives? Stop being a snowflake, man up and grow a pair.

That’s cute. I’m not one complaining about posts on an internet message board. I’m all about open, unedited discussion. Call me snowflake - I want you to have that right.

And I’ll say inside NU speaks to HJ having home issues, gf issues, whatever. True or not. It’s out there. And if you and Willy are bent about it, grow a pair or find a safe space - this ain’t it.

That’s cute. I’m not one complaining about posts on an internet message board. I’m all about open, unedited discussion. Call me snowflake - I want you to have that right.

And I’ll say inside NU speaks to HJ having home issues, gf issues, whatever. True or not. It’s out there. And if you and Willy are bent about it, grow a pair or find a safe space - this ain’t it.

So you're the board police now? Got it. Snowflakes like you will flake out I guess. LOL.

By the way, you do complain about posts all the time, and then tell people in your passive aggressive way how they should be posting. PKK anyone? You're such a drama queen. And try to keep up, I see you still haven't figured out my original point. But carry on.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT