ADVERTISEMENT

They're already dreading us ...

Ditto. And I and plenty of other Catholics -- ND alums among them -- will tell you that ND's Catholicism is a mile wide and a quarter inch deep.
That is exactly right. This is coming from someone at ground zero.

Let us pray.....
(credit to villox)

pdQZMQx.jpg

They may be Catholic, but we are the second coming.

They might be the Catholics, but we are the second coming.
I remember a few years ago a story leading up to a ND vs. USC game that there were more Catholics on the Trojan team then on the Irish.

Yep; and for some reason, people think all the students and all of the fans are Catholic.
Not that I care one way or the other, but you started me thinking, and every ND fan I know is Catholic. Admittedly, a small sample, but still, it is 100%. Only three are alums, though some of the others have close family who went there.

Not that I care one way or the other, but you started me thinking, and every ND fan I know is Catholic. Admittedly, a small sample, but still, it is 100%. Only three are alums, though some of the others have close family who went there.
I know a ton that are not, but I live in Chicago, so many defaulted the ND years ago as a fairly local option when we stunk and they couldn’t stand Illinois due to their elitist approach to their blue collar lives.

Yep; and for some reason, people think all the students and all of the fans are Catholic.
Let's just say that there a heck of a lot of Catholic students at ND, a heck of a lot. I don't know that any of my son's friends while he was there were not Catholic.

I imagine the vast majority of Notre Dame students are Catholic, but I'm sure they don't mind the occasional Protestant football recruit. Remember that Brigham Young, the epicenter of Mormonism, once had definitively non-Mormon Jim McMahon at QB.

Reactions: willycat
Let's just say that there a heck of a lot of Catholic students at ND, a heck of a lot. I don't know that any of my son's friends while he was there were not Catholic.
Yes the majority certainly are Catholic. To me, that makes sense when ND is probably the top Catholic affiliated university in the country and Catholicism is the largest religion in the country. ND also has a very large student population that are legacy. This also leads to less diversity.

I am not sure how we go off on this track, but my point was there are also plenty of non Catholic students and fans. Not the majority, but not a small number either. There is no doubt that ND is less diverse than most major universities when it comes to religious affiliation, but it is not absent Muslims, Jews, Hindu, and other religious faiths. Stereotyping students or fans can be unfair particularly to those non-catholic or POC folks.

Yes the majority certainly are Catholic. To me, that makes sense when ND is probably the top Catholic affiliated university in the country and Catholicism is the largest religion in the country. ND also has a very large student population that are legacy. This also leads to less diversity.

I am not sure how we go off on this track, but my point was there are also plenty of non Catholic students and fans. Not the majority, but not a small number either. There is no doubt that ND is less diverse than most major universities when it comes to religious affiliation, but it is not absent Muslims, Jews, Hindu, and other religious faiths. Stereotyping students or fans can be unfair particularly to those non-catholic or POC folks.
Of course, that is absolutely true. And, as someone else wrote, ND does not mind getting the occasional fast talented Protestant. Arab was a Protestant; he worried some about that when he took the job as head coach.

Of course, that is absolutely true. And, as someone else wrote, ND does not mind getting the occasional fast talented Protestant. Arab was a Protestant; he worried some about that when he took the job as head coach.

You know the joke about how Ara was applying for the job, and the priest who was taking his information mentioned that he was having trouble spelling something. "You mean, you need help spelling 'Parseghian'?" "No, I need help spelling 'Presbyterian'!"

I am looking to buy one of those garden Virgin Mary statutes and spray paint it purple. It will be displayed in a place of honor at my tailgate in the east lot!!!!

I am looking to buy one of those garden Virgin Mary statutes and spray paint it purple. It will be displayed in a place of honor at my tailgate in the east lot!!!!
This post reminds me of the "Irish Wake" party we held at our frat house on the Friday night before the ND game in '76 or '77. We hung a plastic guy in a ND jersey from a cross outside the frat house and had a casket with a female manikin in it dressed in virginal white with her legs straddling a large pot full of green punch, bubbling from dry ice. The band was great, the beer flowed and all went well until some folks with too much to drink decided to burn the cross. That attracted the wrong kind of attention. Ah yes...college days!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT