ADVERTISEMENT

Things I learned from reading Badger boards after the game

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I always enjoy reading the opponent’s boards after they lose to the Cats, especially teams that were either ranked or had high expectations, since I find insights into both the game and football I didn’t notice since I was focused on the Cats.

First, apparently, one of two of the following must be true:

1) Points your opponents score off turnovers don’t count, while the ones you score off turnovers do or
2) Badger fans are not good at arithmetic any more.

The prevailing wisdom was that since the Cats had 17 points off turnovers and 7 off the roughing the kicker call, the Badgers handed the Cats the game. Since Wisconsin scored 14 points off Cat turnovers, logically, if the Cats only won because of Bucky’s gaffes, either the first statement must be true or 31-24=7 is not greater than 17-14=3. QED

Second, Officials only miss penalties committed by the other team. Multiple posters insisted that the Cat secondary was holding Badger receivers THE WHOLE GAME (in all caps). Since I didn’t notice anything beyond tight coverage, I will need to go back and watch more carefully and/or reread the rules around defensive holding.

Third, while conventional wisdom here is that the Cats O-line coach and offensive coordinator are terrible, in truth the Wisconsin counterparts are the worst in college football because with multiple All Americans on the OLine and an All American running back, the Wisky offense was outrushed by the Cats, who, as everyone knows, have the worst rushing offense in the conference. The conclusion was, since the players are great, it must be coaching, both in failing to impart technique for the linemen and for not calling the touchdown play, which was obvious.

I sure hope next week I can learn more about football from reading the Notre Dame boards!

I always enjoy reading the opponent’s boards after they lose to the Cats, especially teams that were either ranked or had high expectations, since I find insights into both the game and football I didn’t notice since I was focused on the Cats.

1) Points your opponents score off turnovers don’t count, while the ones you score off turnovers do or

The prevailing wisdom was that since the Cats had 17 points off turnovers and 7 off the roughing the kicker call, the Badgers handed the Cats the game. Since Wisconsin scored 14 points off Cat turnovers, logically, if the Cats only won because of Bucky’s gaffes, either the first statement must be true or 31-24=7 is not greater than 17-14=3. QED

Second, Officials only miss penalties committed by the other team. Multiple posters insisted that the Cat secondary was holding Badger receivers THE WHOLE GAME (in all caps). Since I didn’t notice anything beyond tight coverage, I will need to go back and watch more carefully and/or reread the rules around defensive holding.

Third, while conventional wisdom here is that the Cats O-line coach and offensive coordinator are terrible, in truth the Wisconsin counterparts are the worst in college football because with multiple All Americans on the OLine and an All American running back, the Wisky offense was outrushed by the Cats, who, as everyone knows, have the worst rushing offense in the conference. The conclusion was, since the players are great, it must be coaching, both in failing to impart technique for the linemen and for not calling the touchdown play, which was obvious.

I sure hope next week I can learn more about football from reading the Notre Dame boards!
Very few fanbases are so humble that they accept a loss to the Cats as a loss to a better team.

Yikes...they sound as bad as NU fans after a victory.

I always love the "gave away the game" thing. Amazing that NU had three TOs and won the game. And in the case that your opponent had fewer turnovers than you, what does it mean? It means that they played that area of the game better than you did and probably deserved to win. I've also heard excuses such as "if only we hadn't given up that kickoff return" or "if only we hadn't dropped that sure interception." One of the reasons I could never make anybody's football team is that I did drop passes and sure interceptions. Catching the ball is actually a skill.

Well, my response to that is that if teams such as MSU and Wisky have lost to the Cats multiple times in recent years and NU is so bad, what does that make them?
Wisky Ioa and MSU are the worst, successful programs that lose a lot to us but will not accept that we are as good. A conf title would help

What I have noticed from our 3 conference home games. There is a common denominator from all of the visiting fans. We have so many penalties committed that are not called. Sounds like our fans bitching years ago.

The complaints about the refs are a joke. Their RT, Edwards, was false starting the entire game including on their last TD. I noticed it from the stands but confirmed after Watching a recording of the game. If you rewatch you’ll see he moves about half a beat before the ball is snapped consistently throughout the game.

Their RT, Edwards, was false starting the entire game including on their last TD. I noticed it from the stands but confirmed after Watching a recording of the game. If you rewatch you’ll see he moves about half a beat before the ball is snapped consistently throughout the game.
I wondered about that. I noticed it as well but thought he must just really be quick.

This was an entertaining post.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
Anecdotal feedback from a former member of the WNUR team back in his day ( a decade plus ago ). Nicest fans at the time: Nebraska, PSU ( before the fall ). Least nice : tie — OSU ( could be brutal ) and UM ( mainly just annoying ). Wisky : nice before and after the games they won. Nice before the game and not so nice after the games they lost.

Fans won't accept losing to us until we really change perception of the program (which doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice to be have the same public perception as the program's record of success).

If you looked at how fans of other programs view us pre-season, almost everybody thinks they're going to beat us. Hell, even Illinois fans talk themselves into thinking they'll get to 5 wins and then have a chance to beat us to get bowl eligible.

Yet here we are having won 12 of our last 13 Big Ten games.

Winning the division will go a long way to helping shift perception as would competing more regularly for the division title late into the year.

We haven't been 5-1 in the Big Ten since 2000; that's the kind of record that gets people talking about you in a good way. We're fortunate to be a team that bounces back late in seasons, but we've been well outside of the division or Big Ten hunt early in the season.

Fans won't accept losing to us until we really change perception of the program (which doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice to be have the same public perception as the program's record of success).

If you looked at how fans of other programs view us pre-season, almost everybody thinks they're going to beat us. Hell, even Illinois fans talk themselves into thinking they'll get to 5 wins and then have a chance to beat us to get bowl eligible.

Yet here we are having won 12 of our last 13 Big Ten games.

Winning the division will go a long way to helping shift perception as would competing more regularly for the division title late into the year.

We haven't been 5-1 in the Big Ten since 2000; that's the kind of record that gets people talking about you in a good way. We're fortunate to be a team that bounces back late in seasons, but we've been well outside of the division or Big Ten hunt early in the season.

I wonder if Stanford still faces the same bias in the PAC 12? Do Oregon and UW generally assume they should beat Stanford? Or is it the other way around now since they have been consistently strong for over a decade? Or not at all relevant due to historical success which NU doesn't and will never have?

The complaints about the refs are a joke. Their RT, Edwards, was false starting the entire game including on their last TD. I noticed it from the stands but confirmed after Watching a recording of the game. If you rewatch you’ll see he moves about half a beat before the ball is snapped consistently throughout the game.

OMG...you are so right. I literally jumped out of my chair on their TD. I thought for sure that score was going to be negated for a false start. Totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. It appeared to have happens on numerous occassions throughout the game, but none as obvious on that particular play.

I wonder if Stanford still faces the same bias in the PAC 12? Do Oregon and UW generally assume they should beat Stanford? Or is it the other way around now since they have been consistently strong for over a decade? Or not at all relevant due to historical success which NU doesn't and will never have?
I'd imagine Stanford used to face that kind of bias; but these days fans of most Pac-12 programs understand that their own teams are typically worse (talent-wise and coaching-wise) and are probably going to lose.

Getting regular pre-season rankings and such probably helps; typically those are the teams that people are talking about as good teams or teams that are expected to win their divisions, etc.

OMG...you are so right. I literally jumped out of my chair on their TD. I thought for sure that score was going to be negated for a false start. Totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. It appeared to have happens on numerous occassions throughout the game, but none as obvious on that particular play.
Yep. I was sure that it was coming back, too.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I replayed that play 5 times on the DVR right when it happened. My wife and daughter are now well-versed in the rules of the false start, or at least they claim to see what I'm seeing.

I'd imagine Stanford used to face that kind of bias; but these days fans of most Pac-12 programs understand that their own teams are typically worse (talent-wise and coaching-wise) and are probably going to lose.

Getting regular pre-season rankings and such probably helps; typically those are the teams that people are talking about as good teams or teams that are expected to win their divisions, etc.

Stanford is viewed with respect and loathing in the West now. When they were bad, they were viewed as the fallen rich uncle. They have a pretty solid tradition.

Reactions: rmndcat
Stanford is viewed with respect and loathing in the West now. When they were bad, they were viewed as the fallen rich uncle. They have a pretty solid tradition.
When you go to the bully of the conference and smack them in the face multiple times (USC), you gain respect. That's what we need to do.

A couple things went Stanford's way for them to ascend from a program we routinely beat for recruits to the program they are today (and yes, they did have history there but that history wasn't helping them in the early 2000s).

1) Beat USC...multiple times.
2) Win New Years Bowls. Win titles.
3) USC post-Pete Carroll = upgrade version of Brady Hoke Michigan.
4) Outside of USC, the talent deficit is a lot easier to bridge with the rest of the conference, especially for an academic school like Stanford that has resources and location.
5) Solid coach in Shaw (although he does have his faults that some Stanford fan's are beginning to be vocal about)

Outrecruiting UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, U. Dub, Utah, Oregon is a lot easier than trying to recruit against OSU, Michigan, Penn St, MSU, Wisky, Nebby (even this version of it), etc.

We're not THAT far from that level. Just need titles.

Reactions: rmndcat and zeek55
It was so consistent, we convinced ourselves that the rest of the line must be slow and he was just perfectly timing the snap. Couldn’t understand how the refs would miss it over and over, and since there were no apparent complaints from our sideline, we let it go.

Friend of mine watching the game at home texted me about the false starts after the touchdown pass too. And he’s a Missouri fan.

I recall noticing that on the final TD.

Friend of mine watching the game at home texted me about the false starts after the touchdown pass too. And he’s a Missouri fan.
The B1G probably hired the NFL ref who was fired after missing the false start by the Chargers LT against the Browns which resulted in an LAC TD.......

NU is every other Big Ten team's so-called "trap game" and the opponent they willingly plan Homecoming around. That won't change until the Cats win a couple of conference titles or have a season where they thoroughly dominate. Even any praise of the program and Fitz from national pundits is rooted in this: It's the best a place like Northwestern can do. Meaning winning a few upsets over ranked teams while annually going to some minor bowl. But I want more.

NU is every other Big Ten team's so-called "trap game" and the opponent they willingly plan Homecoming around. That won't change until the Cats win a couple of conference titles or have a season where they thoroughly dominate. Even any praise of the program and Fitz from national pundits is rooted in this: It's the best a place like Northwestern can do. Meaning winning a few upsets over ranked teams while annually going to some minor bowl. But I want more.

One thing that amazes me in the coverage is how they keep showing pictures of the new facility even this late in the season.

Well, if MSU, Iowa, Wisky and a couple of others are still scheduling us for homecoming, they're not too bright.

Reactions: StreamCat
The Wisconsin fans sitting behind us were actually stunned that the false start wasn't called. Two of them said that the touchdown obviously would be coming back.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Stanford has beaten every team in the PAC 12 for the past decade. When was the last time we beat Michigan or Ohio State? Until we start beating those schools once every couple of years instead of once every couple of decades, we just won’t get national respect.

When you go to the bully of the conference and smack them in the face multiple times (USC), you gain respect. That's what we need to do.

A couple things went Stanford's way for them to ascend from a program we routinely beat for recruits to the program they are today (and yes, they did have history there but that history wasn't helping them in the early 2000s).

1) Beat USC...multiple times.
2) Win New Years Bowls. Win titles.
3) USC post-Pete Carroll = upgrade version of Brady Hoke Michigan.
4) Outside of USC, the talent deficit is a lot easier to bridge with the rest of the conference, especially for an academic school like Stanford that has resources and location.
5) Solid coach in Shaw (although he does have his faults that some Stanford fan's are beginning to be vocal about)

Outrecruiting UCLA, Cal-Berkeley, U. Dub, Utah, Oregon is a lot easier than trying to recruit against OSU, Michigan, Penn St, MSU, Wisky, Nebby (even this version of it), etc.

We're not THAT far from that level. Just need titles.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Hmmm,

Since 1985 the series is tied at 14 now if I’m not mistaken?

1995 NU 31-0 (wonder what their excuse was?)
1996 @UW the Great Dayne fumble and loss.
2000 @UW the NU comeback and win in OT

UW fans are full of excuses

The three S words apply here: Solipsism and Sophistry for them and Schadenfreude for us.

I saw a table full of Wisconsin fans at Portillos after the game when I walked in there. I guess they were some of the ones that left early. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT