ADVERTISEMENT

Things shaking up though it is not coaching positions

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
7.1 magnitude earthquake woke us up at 1:30 AM this morning Alaska time. Felt like it lasted at least a full minute. Having lived through the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964 this one was up there on the scare scale.

Epicenter in Pedro Bay near Anchor Point some 100 plus miles distant from Anchorage. Awaiting damage reports likely closer to origin and of course there is Tsunami potential that could extend to West Coast and even Hawaii though that would likely take a few hours to reach if a Tsunami was triggered.

photo_zps1uvrcd9o.jpg
photo_zps9lusz6ii.jpg
photo_zpsiytrqagc.jpg

Last edited:
Hope everythings ok please keep us posted

Thanks. Always surprised to find things like ceramic vases thrown from the fireplace mantle still intact. Glad the power did not go out in my neighborhood though I see others were not so fortunate. First news reportings now suggesting Tsunami not expected so that is certainly good news.

From ADN.com:

Southcentral Alaska was rocked by a strong and prolonged magnitude-7.1 earthquake early Sunday morning.

The quake struck 86 miles west-southwest of Anchor Point at 1:30 a.m. Alaska time, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The USGS initially measured the quake at magnitude 6.4, but upgraded it to 7.1 shortly after. The Alaska Earthquake Center said it hit about 65 miles west of the Kenai Peninsula town of Homer and about 160 miles southwest of Anchorage.

According to the National Weather Service, the quake was not expected to generate a tsunami.

The Anchorage Fire Department was reportedly "really busy" responding to numerous fire alarms in the wake of the earthquake. The Anchorage Police Department said shortly after 2 a.m. that it had not received any reports of major damage or injury.

Alaska Dispatch News staff reported power outages in West Anchorage from the quake, which continued for about 30 seconds, and was strong enough to knock objects off shelves in homes around the region.

Twitter users reported outages in the area of Downtown, Lake Otis and Tudor and the neighborhood of Government Hill in Anchorage. Matanuska Electric Association was reporting scattered outages on Facebook, including at its Douglass substation in Willow, along with "several other feeder outages, especially impacting the Palmer area."

Chugach Electric was reporting about 4,100 customers without power around 2 a.m.

Twitter users said they could feel the temblor as far away as Fairbanks.

7.1 magnitude earthquake woke us up at 1:30 AM this morning Alaska time. Felt like it lasted at least a full minute. Having lived through the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964 this one was up there in on the scare scale.

Epicenter in Pedro Bay near Anchor Point some 100 plus miles distant from Anchorage. Awaiting damage reports likely closer to origin and of course there is Tsunami potential that could extend to West Coast and even Hawaii though that would likely take a few hours to reach if a Tsunami was triggered.

photo_zps1uvrcd9o.jpg
photo_zps9lusz6ii.jpg
photo_zpsiytrqagc.jpg

FWIW, here are some photos from the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake. In the first one you can see my hands reaching up from the crevice while my siblings look on. The others include photos I took at the time.

utf-8DSCN0614_zps5937bb07.jpg
utf-8DSCN0661_zps40c9de74.jpg
utf-8DSCN0653_zps8b458c1a.jpg
utf-8DSCN0640_zpsb35c4e0d.jpg

utf-8DSCN0649_zpsfa79b2ff.jpg
utf-8DSCN0594_zps0ce15128.jpg

Reactions: rmndcat
Glad you're okay. In your last picture, the Titanic DVD cover cast down on the floor makes for an uncanny complement to the entire seismic event.

Astute observation. The irony came to mind as I was picking it up. As I did so I took a quick glance to see if my recently acquired copy of "San Andreas Fault" had risen to the top as well.

(Incidentally, shown in the opening scenes of "San Andreas Fault" is archival footage from the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake - at 9.2+ it still remains the second largest recorded earthquake, and the largest recorded in North America.)

Last edited:
Glad you guys came through it safe, Alaska.

What's the name of that NU fan with the purported body of Schwarzenegger? The one who patrols tailgate areas as a Vigilante On the Beat? Maybe he caused it, too many squat-thrusts or something. :)

7.1 magnitude earthquake woke us up at 1:30 AM this morning Alaska time. Felt like it lasted at least a full minute. Having lived through the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964 this one was up there on the scare scale.

photo_zps1uvrcd9o.jpg
photo_zps9lusz6ii.jpg
photo_zpsiytrqagc.jpg
Holy smokes. Hope all is ok!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Thanks all for the expressions of concern. This morning I finally had a chance to see how my office fared in the earthquake. In addition to some knocked over files the first thing i noticed was a fallen sword from a wall hanging. It fell from a movie prop that I have hanging on my office wall that came out of the Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan film Shanghai Knights.

For those who have seen the movie, it was the shield with crossed swords that hung in the London tower that led up to the sword fighting scene on the clock face of Big Ben. Included in the pictures below is the prop with its fallen sword from yesterday's earthquake along with screen shots of Jackie Chan as he reached to pull one of the swords from it in the actual movie and Owen Wilson in the subject sword fight. The cross bow from an earlier scene as seen in the last screen shot remained hanging to my wall in the earthquake.

photo_zps12a7f802.jpg
photo_zps2ed3de27.jpg
photo_zps11e42ed4.jpg
photo_zpseb614477.jpg

photo_zpsfdw5ketw.jpg
photo_zpskcjxhbki.jpg

photo_zpsqsekcn5x.jpg

Of more substance, below is a photo from my visit to my neighborhood hardware store where I stopped this afternoon to pick up items needed for earthquake repairs at my house, as well as a photo of this morning's paper's front page describing the damage from yesterday's shaker. Reportedly four homes were destroyed by gas leak explosions though fortunately their occupants escaped with the worst injury being a burn.

photo_zpsclcyhqo4.jpg
photo_zpsiuygva4c.jpg

Notably no pens fell from my desk affirming the addage that "The pen is mightier than the sword." :)

(Here is a "before" shot of my office wall showing the crossed swords.)

IMG_0122_zpsd1774fb8.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine having to sort out nuts and screws at that hardware store.

Glad you're OK. I recalled photos of your office and thought of those swords falling when you first posted about the quake.

I think my favorite movie involving earthquakes might be "Tremors", where these giant worms tunneling through the earth case the earth to shake as they try to eat Kevin Bacon.
The first thing I would do after an earthquake is eat Bacon.

Mystery Solved

As stated in my original post, "it felt like the earthquake lasted at least a minute." However, the official reportings claimed approximately 30 seconds. Twenty years ago a network of seismographs was set up in Anchorage and could only be tested with an earthquake of the magnitude of the one that occurred Sunday. Interestingly, with the instruments in place the researchers were finally able to conduct their experiment. The results demonstrate that the earthquake shook Anchorage neighborhoods with vastly different force even less than 2 miles apart. The graphic below charts those results onto a map of Anchorage showing the variations throughout the city. Of note my house Is situated in one of the locations that experienced the greatest force.

In the accompanying article, the writer stated, "The rupture in [Sunday's] quake lasted only 10 to 15 seconds. [However] we felt Sunday's shaking much longer than that - longer than a minute - because of the soft geology of Cook Inlet and the weak soils under the city, factors that amplified and extended the impact. Figuring out those details is the point of the sensor network."

CLICK GRAPHIC TO ENLARGE:

photo_zpsqnds6twf.jpg

Here is a link to the full article:

http://www.adn.com/article/20160125/71-quake-shook-different-parts-anchorage-very-different-ways

It is coming up on almost a week since the 7.1 Alaska earthquake. In daily conversation it seems everyone has an interesting story about something that did or did not break in their house. Pictured below is a vase that we have had so long we had forgotten its origin. In Sunday's earthquake it fell 7 1/2 feet from the top of a china cabinet striking and denting a wood floor, yet remained intact. One of our daughters confirmed she had made it from clay when she was in school and proudly informed us that she had "made it earthquake proof."

photo_zpsd7mrwffo.jpg
photo_zpssf0fgekv.jpg
photo_zpsfdpxemzo.jpg

Just learned of another earthquake in our shared "Pacific Ring of Fire." It struck an hour or two ago. The city of Tainan in Taiwan suffered a 6.4 quake (a magnitude less than the one here in Alaska two weeks ago), but this one had significant loss of life and major building damage, likely consequent from the construction practices of the area.

Like the one here in Alaska two weeks ago, this one also struck in the middle of the night.

Here is a link to the breaking story:

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/taiwan-6-4-earthquake-fells-apartment-building-least-two-dead-665896

CagySIxUsAAie0F.jpg:large

Last edited:
A few moments ago (today March 12th, 2016) Alaska was struck by a 6.1 earthquake. Although centered in the far distant Aleutian Island near Atka, Alaska I felt it shake here in Anchorage as I was seated here at my computer. As its epicenter is shallow Tsunamis are not expected to follow. Here is a link to the breaking news:

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id3821

(Interestingly the time of the quake is reported as "9:06 AM local time" even though here in Anchorage it was 1:06 P.M Alaska time. Apparently Atka is far east enough to be on the Asian side of the time line.)

A few moments ago (today March 12th, 2016) Alaska was struck by a 6.1 earthquake. Although centered in the far distant Aleutian Island near Atka, Alaska I felt it shake here in Anchorage as I was seated here at my computer. As its epicenter is shallow Tsunamis are not expected to follow. Here is a link to the breaking news:

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id3821

(Interestingly the time of the quake is reported as "9:06 AM local time" even though here in Anchorage it was 1:06 P.M Alaska time. Apparently Atka is far east enough to be on the Asian side of the time line.)

6.1 is a baby. I think you need to be at least 7.0 or even 7.5 or up to create a Tsunami.

Glad you came through it OK, Alaska, and I hope there aren't any severe aftershocks. I've experienced two small tremors in my lifetime, one in Florida and the other in Maryland, and have no desire to repeat the experience. We have friends who are spending a two-year stint in Japan and go through regular Civil Defense-style earthquake drills over there.

Thanks all for the expressions of concern. This morning I finally had a chance to see how my office fared in the earthquake. In addition to some knocked over files the first thing i noticed was a fallen sword from a wall hanging. It fell from a movie prop that I have hanging on my office wall that came out of the Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan film Shanghai Knights.

For those who have seen the movie, it was the shield with crossed swords that hung in the London tower that led up to the sword fighting scene on the clock face of Big Ben. Included in the pictures below is the prop with its fallen sword from yesterday's earthquake along with screen shots of Jackie Chan as he reached to pull one of the swords from it in the actual movie and Owen Wilson in the subject sword fight. The cross bow from an earlier scene as seen in the last screen shot remained hanging to my wall in the earthquake.

photo_zps12a7f802.jpg
photo_zps2ed3de27.jpg
photo_zps11e42ed4.jpg
photo_zpseb614477.jpg

photo_zpsfdw5ketw.jpg
photo_zpskcjxhbki.jpg

photo_zpsqsekcn5x.jpg

Of more substance, below is a photo from my visit to my neighborhood hardware store where I stopped this afternoon to pick up items needed for earthquake repairs at my house, as well as a photo of this morning's paper's front page describing the damage from yesterday's shaker. Reportedly four homes were destroyed by gas leak explosions though fortunately their occupants escaped with the worst injury being a burn.

photo_zpsclcyhqo4.jpg
photo_zpsiuygva4c.jpg

Notably no pens fell from my desk affirming the addage that "The pen is mightier than the sword." :)

(Here is a "before" shot of my office wall showing the crossed swords.)

IMG_0122_zpsd1774fb8.jpg

I like the decor. Very much indeed. I wish my wall accents were crossbows.

Now us Pacific Rim folk have a new type of earthquake to contend with, the "foreshock," as contrasted with an "aftershock."

A few days ago Kyushu Island in Japan was struck with a 6.0 quake that has now been renamed a "foreshock" since Saturday morning a larger 7.0 magnitude earthquake just struck. (The one here in Alaska three months ago that was the original subject of this thread was 7.1) While 9 died in this week's 6.0 "foreshock," 32 have already been reported as dead in the 7.0 earthquake that followed. The earthquakes were located more specifically in the province (ken) of Kumamoto there on Kyushu Island.

This week's seismic activity is too close to home. I spent some time visiting Nagasaki on Kyushu Island just last summer and two years prior to that was in another Kyushu city, Kagoshima, where we experienced the thermally heated sands there by taking in a hot "sand bath." For Alaska the under surface events this year have also included a volcano that erupted last month in the Aleutian Islands midway between where I live and Japan. The ash clouds were sufficient to shut down air traffic for much of the state for days.

Here is a link to reportings of this week's earthquakes:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/16/asia/japan-earthquake/

Last edited:
Now us Pacific Rim folk have a new type of earthquake to contend with, the "foreshock," as contrasted with an "aftershock."

A few days ago Kyushu Island in Japan was struck with a 6.0 quake that has now been renamed a "foreshock" since Saturday morning a larger 7.0 magnitude earthquake just struck. at least in magnitude, (The one here in Alaska three months ago that was the original subject of this thread was 7.1) While 9 died in this week's 6.0 "foreshock," 32 have already been reported as dead in the 7.0 earthquake that followed. The earthquakes were located more specifically in the province (ken) of Kumamoto there on Kyushu Island.

This week's seismic activity is too close to home. I spent some time visiting Nagasaki on Kyushu Island just last summer and two years prior to that was in another Kyushu city, Kagoshima, where we experienced the thermally heated sands there by taking in a hot "sand bath." For Alaska the under surface events this year have also included a volcano that erupted last month in the Aleutian Islands midway between where I live and Japan. The ash clouds were sufficient to shut down air traffic for much of the state for days.

Here is a link to reportings of this week's earthquakes:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/16/asia/japan-earthquake/
Now that I am back in California, I also am paying a lot more attention to what's happening elsewhere on the Pacific Plate. I always worry that activity in one part will trigger some pressure-releasing event elsewhere. The concept of a Pacific Rim is as much about shared geology as economics. It's been awhile since we've had a big event down here.

My brother has lived in Japan at various times (professorial gigs). I visited him in 1995 and saw some of the damage in Kobe. It was awe-inspiring.

Now that I am back in California, I also am paying a lot more attention to what's happening elsewhere on the Pacific Plate. ..... My brother has lived in Japan at various times (professorial gigs). I visited him in 1995 and saw some of the damage in Kobe. It was awe-inspiring.

I lived in Kobe for over a year prior to the earthquake there and had a chance to go back again three years ago. By the time I returned there was no damage still to be seen, but it was evident where new buildings had completely replaced the ones I remembered. If you really want to lose some sleep now that you have returned to California, check out a copy of the recently released movie "San Andreas Fault." (Incidentally in the opening scenes of the movie you get to see some archival footage of the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake that reflects pretty accurately what I experienced and saw.)

good to hear you are okay. Let's hope our D brings that type of jolt this season!

I was in Sasebo, Kyushu, Japan many times while deployed from Guam from 2004-2007. This definitely hits a little close to home for me too Alaskawildkat. We have a few thousand service members still stationed in Sasebo, which wasn't too far from this quake.

The carnage continues along the Pacific Rim:

"Ecuador's earthquake death toll rose to 350 on Monday as rescuers hunted for survivors, victims clamored for aid and looting broke out in the Andean nation's shattered coastal region.

More than 2,000 were also injured in Saturday's 7.8 magnitude quake, which ripped apart buildings and roads and knocked out power along the Pacific coastline."

Link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecuador-quake-idUSKCN0XE009

(My Rotary Club is currently involved in an international service project to provide assistance to a disadvantaged school in Ecuador with one of our members presently scheduled to head there. Anticipate a first hand reporting of the post-quake situation, assuming he will still be able to travel to the location.)

No earthquakes here in SE Texas, but heavy rainfall and flooding are our gifts from Mother Nature. 16"+ inches of rain last night in some areas of Houston, and the rain's supposed to keep up through tomorrow. I'm fortunate to have escaped the damage, but many more around town haven't been so lucky.

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER ALASKA EARTHQUAKE .....

TV graphics from this evening's (May 14, 2016) Alaska news broadcasts. Initially reported as a magnitude 5.1 quake it was then upgraded to a 5.5, and finally at 5.4.

Here in Anchorage things on the shelves shook in poltergeist fashion but nothing fell to the ground, at least in my house.

photo_zpsqsjauabg.jpg
photo_zpsiecuyyma.jpg

The actual epicenter of today's Alaska earthquake was in the center of the state which is itself unusual as most of our earthquakes emminate from coastal locations south of Anchorage.

As noted in the above TV graphics the earthquake's center is positioned as between Lake Minchumina where I have lakefront property and Talkeetna, near newly named Denali f/k/a Mt. McKinley.

Edited to add:

Here are some added details regarding Lake Minchumina, as identified in the above TV graphic for today's earthquake:

I have some lake front property (five acres on Alaska's Lake Minchumina) that I "won" (i.e. "won" the right to purchase) in an Alaska land lottery decades ago. (Of the multiple lots in the lottery mine had the most bids so at least in that sense I was a true "winner", having been awarded the right to purchase the most desirable parcel on the lake.)

It is about as remote as you can get and still be on U.S. soil. Only way in is by plane though there is an airstrip and weekly mail service to the community of Lake Minchumina and you can boat from there to the property if you don't have your own float plane to pull up to the property's beach. My parcel borders on national park land (Denali National Park and preserve) so you effectively have hundreds of acres available for hunting, trapping and recreational use. If you end up missing civilization you can paddle in to "town" (where, in the summer, 4-wheelers are the primary mode of transportation) and join the one or two dozen inhabitants there for the annual rock skipping competition held each 4th of July.It is so far removed from a governing body that there are no property taxes to pay.

Here is a link for more information. The view you see looking across the lake toward Denali (f/k/a Mt. McKinley) some 65 miles to the south is the same view you would see from my property which is also located on the north shore of the lake - providing for southern exposure. (This last factoid was added in the event you get bored and decide to do another Alaska based reality show during your sojourn, which you can appropriately name, "Southern Exposure.")

Lake%20Minchumina_zpsro4fa8el.jpg

http://www.alaskannature.com/minchumina.htm

And here is a link to a reporting regarding last year's "Lake Minchumina Rock Skip." (The linked therein Facebook page is worth a look-see as well with its added photos of the lake and its environs):

http://www.adn.com/event/20150604/2015-rock-skip-lake-minchumina

Last edited:
Back in the 80's when living in LA I woke up to the Windows rattling and a 7.3. Oddest sensation having the ground rolling under you. Fortunately no major damage to my apartment and no one I knew got hurt. Glad to hear that outside of some collateral damage and a dented floor, you're ok Alaska...Kat. Great pictures fro '64 too.

The 1974 movie with our fellow Wildcat as scary enough at the time. Not sure I want to see the end of California in all its CGI glory...

...beside this already gives me nightmares....

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one?mbid=social_facebook

Thanks for providing that link to the New Yorker Magazine regarding the mysterious "Ghost Forest" on the West Coast of the U.S. - evidencing a major ("The Big One") earthquake that correlates to a major Tsunami that struck Japan centuries ago. Likewise, a submerged forest here in Alaska has been determined to correlate to a "Big One" that occurred 700 to 900 years ago. Here is the scientific reporting accompanied by my photo:

This is a current day view in a photo I took looking down on Girdwood and Cook Inlet from the slopes of Alyeska Ski Resort. Interestingly, a study was done in the early 1990s in which a submerged forest was identified in this area (Girdwood) evidencing that this area of Alaska subsided in another major earthquake approximately 700 years ago. Basically the pressures associated with one tectonic plate submarining under another take about 500-800 years to build up to the point where they "snap" and result in a magnitude 9.0 or greater earthquake with this being an historical pattern that core samples evidence having repeating itself for at least the past 3,000 years. Just after the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake the conventional wisdom was that we could expect another of similar magnitude in 50 years. The more recent science, as referenced above, suggests it is more likely that it will be another 500 years. Below is an excerpt from the study that found the submerged Girdwood forest.

DSC_0065.jpg

The valley where the Alyeska resort is today is Girdwood. The railroad tracks in that area were twisted and torn in the March 27, 1964 Earthquake. There was also significant subsidence of the land mass not only in Girdwood, but also a few miles further down the Seward Highway at Portage. Even today you can see remnants of buildings in Portage that are partially sunk into the ground from where the land mass lowered and the tides now come in to partially cover them.

Interestingly though with regard to Girdwood, a study was done in 1992 concluding that a buried forest there is evidence of even greater subsidence that occurred from a previous earthquake hundreds of years ago. Here is an excerpt from the study titled, "The Penultimate Great Earthquake in Southcoastal Alaska: Evidence from buried forest near Girdwood" by Rodney Combellick of the Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Survey:

Given the limitations of instrument and
historic records to resolve the recurrence times
of great earthquakes, only geologic investiga-
tion can disclose the long-term record of sud-
den tectonic changes and earthquake effects.
Recent geologic studies indicate that recurrence
intervals for great earthquakes in this region
range from about 400 to 1,300 yr (Plafker and
others, in press). My purpose in this paper is
to present evidence from a coastal marsh near
Girdwood that the penultimate, or second to
last, great earthquake in the Anchorage region
occurred between about 700 and 900 yr ago.

For reference, here are some excerpts from your linked article regarding the "Big One" that struck our West Coast in 1700 and projections as to what the geological record tells us about when to expect the next "Big One" on the West Coast:

"Finally, in a 1996 article in Nature, a seismologist named Kenji Satake and three colleagues, drawing on the work of Atwater and Yamaguchi, matched that orphan to its parent—and thereby filled in the blanks in the Cascadia story with uncanny specificity. At approximately nine o’ clock at night on January 26, 1700, a magnitude-9.0 earthquake struck the Pacific Northwest, causing sudden land subsidence, drowning coastal forests, and, out in the ocean, lifting up a wave half the length of a continent. It took roughly fifteen minutes for the Eastern half of that wave to strike the Northwest coast. It took ten hours for the other half to cross the ocean. It reached Japan on January 27, 1700: by the local calendar, the eighth day of the twelfth month of the twelfth year of Genroku."

"In fact, the science is robust, and one of the chief scientists behind it is Chris Goldfinger. Thanks to work done by him and his colleagues, we now know that the odds of the big Cascadia earthquake happening in the next fifty years are roughly one in three. The odds of the very big one are roughly one in ten. Even those numbers do not fully reflect the danger—or, more to the point, how unprepared the Pacific Northwest is to face it. The truly worrisome figures in this story are these: Thirty years ago, no one knew that the Cascadia subduction zone had ever produced a major earthquake. Forty-five years ago, no one even knew it existed."

"Each sample contains the history, written in seafloorese, of the past ten thousand years. During subduction-zone earthquakes, torrents of land rush off the continental slope, leaving a permanent deposit on the bottom of the ocean. By counting the number and the size of deposits in each sample, then comparing their extent and consistency along the length of the Cascadia subduction zone, Goldfinger and his colleagues were able to determine how much of the zone has ruptured, how often, and how drastically.

Thanks to that work, we now know that the Pacific Northwest has experienced forty-one subduction-zone earthquakes in the past ten thousand years. If you divide ten thousand by forty-one, you get two hundred and forty-three, which is Cascadia’s recurrence interval: the average amount of time that elapses between earthquakes. That timespan is dangerous both because it is too long—long enough for us to unwittingly build an entire civilization on top of our continent’s worst fault line—and because it is not long enough. Counting from the earthquake of 1700, we are now three hundred and fifteen years into a two-hundred-and-forty-three-year cycle."

For what it is worth, if anyone is interested in my own experience with regard to the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake, here is a link to a thread with commentary and additional photos that I took at the time. The thread extends at least two pages and the photos and commentary are on both of the first two pages of the thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/messa...76&highlight_key=y&keyword1=alaska+earthquake

Last edited:
The carnage continues along the Pacific Rim:

"Ecuador's earthquake death toll rose to 350 on Monday as rescuers hunted for survivors, victims clamored for aid and looting broke out in the Andean nation's shattered coastal region.
More than 2,000 were also injured in Saturday's 7.8 magnitude quake, which ripped apart buildings and roads and knocked out power along the Pacific coastline."
(My Rotary Club is currently involved in an international service project to provide assistance to a disadvantaged school in Ecuador with one of our members presently scheduled to head there. Anticipate a first hand reporting of the post-quake situation, assuming he will still be able to travel to the location.)

Now, just a month later, Ecuador has been struck with two more earthquakes (6.7 and 6.8.) Last night had the first hand report from fellow Rotary member who just returned from providing earthquake relief assistance. The funds he took with him from the Alaska clubs were put to good use in providing a field kitchen for the relief effort in conjunction with the Guayaquil Rotary Club.

In his reporting learned about another geological phenomenon unique to Ecuador's location at the "middle of the world." He described his visit to the latitude position '00 '00 '00 right on the equator near Quito and how the gravitational forces pulling you in both directions make it difficult to walk a straight line right at that point. Also described seeing a demonstration of the Coriolis effect where north of the line water goes down a drain one direction and just south it reverses while right at the line water goes straight down the drain of a basin. Googled and found this Youtube video clip confirming same:

That dude is a clever tourist trap act.

First, the Coriolis effect depends on differentials...significant differences in the distance (and, therefore, velocity) two positions travel when rotating with the earth. It has a big effect at the level of global weather patterns. But it is negligible at human distances. Your car doesn't effectively feel the Coriolis effect. If you started driving due north from the equator at 60 mph, you'd simultaneously be going sideways somewhat more than 1,000 mph with the earth; five hours later, having traveled 300 miles north, you'd still be going somewhat more than 1,000 mph sideways, with the earth. You'd have made negligible difference in your radius from the center line axis. The Coriolis effect is even more negligible at the scale of sinks and bathtubs.

But even if the Coriolis effect were a LOT stronger than it is, it would still be least discernible near the equator. Because the earth is, roughly, a sphere...and the distance from the central axis changes very, very little as you travel north or south near the equator. For all natural purposes, the world might as well be flat (or rather, cylindrical) if you're only going to walk a dozen steps north or south.

Don't take my word for it: https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html

Bottom line is, the gentleman in your video appears to be good at pouring his bucket of water into his sink in a way that affects which way it will rotate. And then passing his hat for tips, I'm sure.

p.s. That thing about gravity pulling you "both directions" is another bit of myth. Gravity only ever pulls you in toward the center of the earth. Even if you were standing on a pitched roof, that would still be true. You wouldn't feel it tugging you back and forth as you walk, anywhere.

p.p.s. A little thought experiment to demonstrate to yourself just how weak the Coriolis effect really is, at bathtub scale: imagine you live at the geographic north pole. That's where the Coriolis effect is most noticeable, because every step you take in any direction is a full step away from the earth's axis (unlike taking a step on the globe near the equator, where one full step would change your distance from the earth's axis less than one fraction of a fraction of a millimeter). Okay, so you're at the pole. And you have a bathtub. And you pull the drain stopper. And the water starts draining freely, so that it resists the earth's turning...so the resulting water rotation will occur at the slug-like rate of: one revolution every 24 hours. that's how slow the water would appear to circulate around the drain if it were up to the Coriolis effect. You wouldn't even be able to see the rotation, it'd be so slow. And that's where the differentials of the Coriolis effect are at their greatest.

Science; it's what's for breakfast.

p.s. Or perhaps I'm missing your humor. My apologies if your post was tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
That dude is a clever tourist trap act.

First, the Coriolis effect depends on differentials...significant differences in the distance (and, therefore, velocity) two positions travel when rotating with the earth. It has a big effect at the level of global weather patterns. But it is negligible at human distances. Your car doesn't effectively feel the Coriolis effect. If you started driving due north from the equator at 60 mph, you'd simultaneously be going sideways somewhat more than 1,000 mph with the earth; five hours later, having traveled 300 miles north, you'd still be going somewhat more than 1,000 mph sideways, with the earth. You'd have made negligible difference in your radius from the center line axis. The Coriolis effect is even more negligible at the scale of sinks and bathtubs.

But even if the Coriolis effect were a LOT stronger than it is, it would still be least discernible near the equator. Because the earth is, roughly, a sphere...and the distance from the central axis changes very, very little as you travel north or south near the equator. For all natural purposes, the world might as well be flat (or rather, cylindrical) if you're only going to walk a dozen steps north or south.

Don't take my word for it: https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coriolis.html

Bottom line is, the gentleman in your video appears to be good at pouring his bucket of water into his sink in a way that affects which way it will rotate. And then passing his hat for tips, I'm sure.

p.s. That thing about gravity pulling you "both directions" is another bit of myth. Gravity only ever pulls you in toward the center of the earth. Even if you were standing on a pitched roof, that would still be true. You wouldn't feel it tugging you back and forth as you walk, anywhere.

p.p.s. A little thought experiment to demonstrate to yourself just how weak the Coriolis effect really is, at bathtub scale: imagine you live at the geographic north pole. That's where the Coriolis effect is most noticeable, because every step you take in any direction is a full step away from the earth's axis (unlike taking a step on the globe near the equator, where one full step would change your distance from the earth's axis less than one fraction of a fraction of a millimeter). Okay, so you're at the pole. And you have a bathtub. And you pull the drain stopper. And the water starts draining freely, so that it resists the earth's turning...so the resulting water rotation will occur at the slug-like rate of: one revolution every 24 hours. that's how slow the water would appear to circulate around the drain if it were up to the Coriolis effect. You wouldn't even be able to see the rotation, it'd be so slow. And that's where the differentials of the Coriolis effect are at their greatest.

Science; it's what's for breakfast.

p.s. Or perhaps I'm missing your humor. My apologies if your post was tongue in cheek.

I have no reason to defend or dispute, but the one word I could understand was "magic." I did go back and check to see if he rotated the basin in a different direction when it was moved, but it did not appear that he did. It would be interesting to have a level on the basin to see if there was a difference in the surfaces below the basin. Maybe he did something to initiate the flow of the water when he reached his hand in to pull the plug before dropping in the leaves? Even if not scientifically accurate, definitely a well executed illusion. For what it is worth, Quito is at a fairly high elevation there in the Andes so that might be an added factor somehow contributing to the demonstrated effect?

Now as to the difficulty walking the line, my fellow club member did show us a video he took with his iPhone as his girlfriend tried to walk the line and she definitely was challenged and almost fell halfway before catching herself. (I did ask if she was given any liquid refreshment before making the attempt. :) )

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT