ADVERTISEMENT

thorsin and Oliver aren't good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chambers1

Oct 17, 2015
These two quarterbacks are brutal. Luckily the team around them are good enough to pull off wins.

Thorson is learning. He looked fine running the ball in the 4th quarter.

He looked great on the first three passes. Not so good after that. We need the running threat Thorson provides, IMO.

Thorson's running is one reason the Cats are 8-2, the other huge factor is NU's athleticism on defense.

These two quarterbacks are brutal. Luckily the team around them are good enough to pull off wins.
They were good enough today. We won. Thorson is going to get plenty better. He'll be all All B1G QB in a couple years.

Good enough for what? Thorson is 8-2 and basically single handedly led us downfield for the winning TD. It may not have looked conventional, but right now our offense just is not going to be conventional because we have issues with our OL and WR groups. We are a running football that needs to call designed runs for the QB in order to be effective. We did that in the first drive and scored a TD. We did it in the last drive and scored a TD. I have been a McCall fan but the play calling in between those two drives left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Good enough for what? Thorson is 8-2 and basically single handedly led us downfield for the winning TD. It may not have looked conventional, but right now our offense just is not going to be conventional because we have issues with our OL and WR groups. We are a running football that needs to call designed runs for the QB in order to be effective. We did that in the first drive and scored a TD. We did it in the last drive and scored a TD. I have been a McCall fan but the play calling in between those two drives left a lot to be desired.
Corbi agreed and plus 1000! Thorson needs to continually be a threat running to open up the passing game. Right now is just not a good enough pocket passer to be threat throwing from there. For the record as well I have no problem with him being pulled for two series. The kid is not Brady and he had done nothing since the first drive.

I didn't say Thorson is not a good enough pocket passer. I said our offense just isn't really effective passing team right now.

I didn't say Thorson is not a good enough pocket passer. I said our offense just isn't really effective passing team right now.
No I added that. I agreed with your assessment that Thorson needs to run more.

I agree it would be effective for Thorson to run more but he sure looks awkward when he does. He runs too erect and struggles with sliding. Definitely not a natural runner although when he gets loose he can cause some damage. My fear is if they do run him more, with his running style he will be very susceptible to getting hurt. So, my vote is, at least for this year, he runs enough. Work on his passing.

I agree it would be effective for Thorson to run more but he sure looks awkward when he does. He runs too erect and struggles with sliding. Definitely not a natural runner although when he gets loose he can cause some damage. My fear is if they do run him more, with his running style he will be very susceptible to getting hurt. So, my vote is, at least for this year, he runs enough. Work on his passing.
He is a tall runner and that looks wrong and make sliding difficult. He really is fast and when he has some room to change direction with out losing momentum he fakes people out and goes by them. I feel like taking the licks he took against PSU actually made him braver. He has very little swagger and that is what he needs. Of course you don't want him to get hurt but I feel like a few licks will make him feel like, "Is that all you got." He is a big guy he should be able to put it to those little guys in the secondary.

Hey, no complaints about the offense here, you'll offend some people. Raises and contract extensions for every offensive coach. 8-2 is all that matters, no room for criticism.

I don't care what it looks like. This isn't a beauty contest. He needs the defense to account for him as a runner for NU to be effective. I agree it makes him more susceptible to injury but so be it. I want NU to win out.

Good enough for what? Thorson is 8-2 and basically single handedly led us downfield for the winning TD. It may not have looked conventional, but right now our offense just is not going to be conventional because we have issues with our OL and WR groups.
By your 8-2 argument, the WR corp and the OL are also good enough. The entire team is 8-2.
That does NOT mean that every player is performing at the level that the team needs to achieve its goals. A team may win IN SPITE of the performance by certain player or unit, not because of it.
CT is currently ranked #90 in the FBS per total QBR. The team needs much better than that (8-2 or not).

Reactions: wildcatson
Thorson's running is one reason the Cats are 8-2, the other huge factor is NU's athleticism on defense.

Thorson's passing is one reason the Cats are 8-2 and not 10-0. If we had decent QB play (better WR and OLs would help too) we could be better than 8-2.

Thorson's passing is one reason the Cats are 8-2 and not 10-0. If we had decent QB play (better WR and OLs would help too) we could be better than 8-2.

Thorson's passing is why NU was crushed at Michigan?? I don't think so......

By your 8-2 argument, the WR corp and the OL are also good enough. The entire team is 8-2.
That does NOT mean that every player is performing at the level that the team needs to achieve its goals. A team may win IN SPITE of the performance by certain player or unit, not because of it.
CT is currently ranked #90 in the FBS per total QBR. The team needs much better than that (8-2 or not).

The QB is the most important and impactful player on the team. You can't win without a good QB whose skills fit the identity of the team. Thorson is exactly that for this NU team. I feel strongly we would not have as good a record this year if a QB with the skill set of a Trevor Siemian was QB this team this year.

I would definitely like to see an open competition for the starting QB slot next year. I don't know if Aidan Smith is a wunderkind or not. I'd like to see the walkon TJ Green get a real shot as well.

I would definitely like to see an open competition for the starting QB slot next year. I don't know if Aidan Smith is a wunderkind or not. I'd like to see the walkon TJ Green get a real shot as well.

If memory serves me correctly, Green is a "preferred walk-on" which means he will be on scholarship next season. So he isn't your typical walk-on. I seriously doubt Smith will be in the equation as a true freshman. The competition will come down to Thorson, Alviti and Green. I'd be shocked if Clayton doesn't prevail.

The QB is the most important and impactful player on the team. You can't win without a good QB whose skills fit the identity of the team. Thorson is exactly that for this NU team.
None of that changes the fact that CT is ranked exactly at #90 per total QBR in the FBS.
NU beat PSU under ZO. He went 11-24 for 111 ys (his QBR for the game would place him well below #100 in the FBS). It would be crazy to argue that because NU managed to win, ZO had a good performance.
By the same token, a QB could go 23/30 for 400 yds with 5 TD and no INT, but his team may fail to win the game. Does that mean that his performance cannot be judged great because his team lost?

The QB is the most important and impactful player on the team. You can't win without a good QB whose skills fit the identity of the team. Thorson is exactly that for this NU team.
If memory serves me correctly, Green is a "preferred walk-on" which means he will be on scholarship next season. So he isn't your typical walk-on. I seriously doubt Smith will be in the equation as a true freshman. The competition will come down to Thorson, Alviti and Green. I'd be shocked if Clayton doesn't prevail.

Preferred walk on does not mean that Green will get a scholarship next year. You may be confusing that term with the concept of grey shirt which essentially is a deferred scholarship offer.

Regarding Thorson, he will be our starter for the next three years and we will all be very pleased about that. That includes the current naysayers on this board who wouldn't know what a good young QB looks like if a young Joe Montana was staring them straight in the face.

There is now way smith signs here unless he was told he would have a shot. He had too many other offers. Alviti has no shot. Ya gotta be able to throw the football (a little at least) in this offense and he can't
From what I have read smith has really impressed in these 7 on 7 camps.
His completion percent his senior year is like 68. That's pretty damn good for HS. Looking forward to qb competition next year

None of that changes the fact that CT is ranked exactly at #90 per total QBR in the FBS.
NU beat PSU under ZO. He went 11-24 for 111 ys (his QBR for the game would place him well below #100 in the FBS). It would be crazy to argue that because NU managed to win, ZO had a good performance.
By the same token, a QB could go 23/30 for 400 yds with 5 TD and no INT, but his team may fail to win the game. Does that mean that his performance cannot be judged great because his team lost?

And by the same token, Oliver could have lost the game if he'd come in and turned into a turnover machine as during the Illinois game last year. Nobody is saying we've had scintillating QB play this year, but sometimes a QB can help his team just by not giving the game away. Our wideouts haven't helped matters with constant drive-killing drops this year. I recall one drop in particular by Jones that killed our opening second-half drive against Iowa when we were still in the game. It went downhill from there.

Preferred walk on does not mean that Green will get a scholarship next year. You may be confusing that term with the concept of grey shirt which essentially is a deferred scholarship offer.

Regarding Thorson, he will be our starter for the next three years and we will all be very pleased about that. That includes the current naysayers on this board who wouldn't know what a good young QB looks like if a young Joe Montana was staring them straight in the face.

Haha. I take it you are the expert on what a good young qb looks like?? I hope your correct about him, but 51 percent completion in a dink and dunk passing game is brutal

Haha. I take it you are the expert on what a good young qb looks like?? I hope your correct about him, but 51 percent completion in a dink and dunk passing game is brutal

8-2 as a freshman QB with a supporting cast that is essentially the same as last year's team. That's all for now!

Yes. Dilfer >> Marino

8-2 as a freshman QB with a supporting cast that is essentially the same as last year's team. That's all for now!

If you wanna believe they are winning games because of him that's you choice but reality is they are winning games inspite of him.

Aren't good enough for what? They're 8-2. It takes 22 guys
i think he means arent prductive enuf. Yes it takes 85 but the qb position is a clear and present weakness that gets expoited weekly by opposing defenses. In most games, our strengths can carry the qb position but when we play really good teams, the qb position is simply too heavy of a burden for our defense and KOR unit to carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT