ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson Cut

Dallas cut CT today. Tough break for the all-time winningest NU QB.
I thought he was going to have a chance at the Taxi Squad, given the cowbots run first mentality. He worked out great in a supporting role in the JJTBC offense JJTBC set all time Big 10 marks for carries one year I think. And with AC on the outside that one year and a stellar defense, Thorson was decent even though he wasn't ever going to be any All Big Ten sorta QB. Then again, if he had a OSU type offensive line I think he could have been really good and even All Big10

I thought he was going to have a chance at the Taxi Squad, given the cowbots run first mentality. He worked out great in a supporting role in the JJTBC offense JJTBC set all time Big 10 marks for carries one year I think. And with AC on the outside that one year and a stellar defense, Thorson was decent even though he wasn't ever going to be any All Big Ten sorta QB. Then again, if he had a OSU type offensive line I think he could have been really good and even All Big10

Not surprised and even called it. Not that it makes me a genius. Even with an OSU offensive line, he lacked the precision and decision making to make him a top notch QB. He might have been the most physically gifted of our QBs, and there were definitely flashes where he shined (Sophomore year, Nebraska 99 drive, Michigan State) for sure, but too many times, when we needed to move he ball and score, it just seemed so laborious. He was a solid QB, and all-time winningest on paper, but he’d be 5-6 down the list of NU QBs I’d pick for my team at best and was never League material.

I don’t know how much of it was Mick McCall, and I suspect that was the bigger problem vs. our OL, but McCall and Cushing coached OL’s still enabled better QB performances over the years. Trevor Siemian simply made you feel more like you could move the ball and score on people, and there’s a reason he was drafted and is still in the League. His relief appearances for Colter (still seething over those boneheaded personnel decisions, which I must blame McCall for) where the offense magically transformed and Notre Dame being the best example. Kafka‘s ridiculous bowl game performance, Persa’s magical year, Basanez as a senior, Bacher’s 9TD 0INT and almost 1000 yard performance over two games - Thorson never was capable of playing at these levels. They all moved the ball much more impressively and scored at a higher pace and were just more effective. Thorson might have been the winningest QB, but I think you put any of those guys except Kafka (who only bloomed as a senior) on the field with our Hankwitz defenses that were peaking during this time and JJTBC carrying the ball during all those years starting as a freshman and you end up with the winningest QB of all time.

Anyways, that’s my opinion, FWIW - which like most on this board, isn’t worth much.

Clayton Thorson was one of the great winning players in Northwestern history. Represented our school incredibly well, always grateful for what he did with the Cats. But nowhere near accurate enough on a consistent basis to hit the tight windows needed to be an NFL quarterback. Still an all-time favorite Cat!

Not surprised and even called it. Not that it makes me a genius. Even with an OSU offensive line, he lacked the precision and decision making to make him a top notch QB. He might have been the most physically gifted of our QBs, and there were definitely flashes where he shined (Sophomore year, Nebraska 99 drive, Michigan State) for sure, but too many times, when we needed to move he ball and score, it just seemed so laborious. He was a solid QB, and all-time winningest on paper, but he’d be 5-6 down the list of NU QBs I’d pick for my team at best and was never League material.

I don’t know how much of it was Mick McCall, and I suspect that was the bigger problem vs. our OL, but McCall and Cushing coached OL’s still enabled better QB performances over the years. Trevor Siemian simply made you feel more like you could move the ball and score on people, and there’s a reason he was drafted and is still in the League. His relief appearances for Colter (still seething over those boneheaded personnel decisions, which I must blame McCall for) where the offense magically transformed and Notre Dame being the best example. Kafka‘s ridiculous bowl game performance, Persa’s magical year, Basanez as a senior, Bacher’s 9TD 0INT and almost 1000 yard performance over two games - Thorson never was capable of playing at these levels. They all moved the ball much more impressively and scored at a higher pace and were just more effective. Thorson might have been the winningest QB, but I think you put any of those guys except Kafka (who only bloomed as a senior) on the field with our Hankwitz defenses that were peaking during this time and JJTBC carrying the ball during all those years starting as a freshman and you end up with the winningest QB of all time.

Anyways, that’s my opinion, FWIW - which like most on this board, isn’t worth much.
I agree, awful decision making and seen too many ghost in the pocket after getting cornholed alot. Hard worker but just not the hard nosed type that is needed. Great arm though, maybe the best we have had.
I wish him the best in his new non sports life. Great kid!

Wondering what his plans will be now?? Canadian Football League? Business school for an mba and a career like Schnur or any of our 100's of successful football team graduates?? Medical school? Anybody have any idea?? I am sure he's got lots of options including coaching
I really believe he will be in the NFL for five years! Keep plugging CT

Clayton Thorson was one of the great winning players in Northwestern history. Represented our school incredibly well, always grateful for what he did with the Cats. But nowhere near accurate enough on a consistent basis to hit the tight windows needed to be an NFL quarterback. Still an all-time favorite Cat!
This.
Thorson was as tough as they come, mostly made the right decisions, knew the offense completely, and simply won games. Look no further than last season to see what happened without him. If he were the QB last year, I believe we would have had a winning record instead the worst record under Fitz. So what if he doesn't stick with an NFL team? The man deserves respect for his accomplishments at NU. Fitz would agree.

This.
Thorson was as tough as they come, mostly made the right decisions, knew the offense completely, and simply won games. Look no further than last season to see what happened without him. If he were the QB last year, I believe we would have had a winning record instead the worst record under Fitz. So what if he doesn't stick with an NFL team? The man deserves respect for his accomplishments at NU. Fitz would agree.
Not every college standout makes it on Sundays (can we say Fitz) yet it doesn't take away from their college career. While the winningest QB and the most games started, some opf the comments stated here are on target.

Reactions: olshin
Not every college standout makes it on Sundays (can we say Fitz) yet it doesn't take away from their college career. While the winningest QB and the most games started, some opf the comments stated here are on target.
Agreed. As one of the greatest armchair quarterbacks ever, I would have fits of frustration with Thorson's play at times. 😜

Reactions: NUCat320 and olshin

What do you think the biggest adjustment between college and NFL is for a QB?

As an aside, I was speaking with Joe Theisman a few years ago . He stated that the accuracy window for an NFL quarterback was 12 " , extending occasionally to 18" . The defenses and CBs in the NFL are light years better than the CBs a college QB faces

Reactions: DaCat
His best accomplishment was doing almost exactly what Fitz wanted from him., ie., not lose games. Fitz put it all on the D and JJTBC. It worked, and Thorson followed the script. Imo Thorson had the absolute worst OL in 25 years.

His best accomplishment was doing almost exactly what Fitz wanted from him., ie., not lose games. Fitz put it all on the D and JJTBC. It worked, and Thorson followed the script. Imo Thorson had the absolute worst OL in 25 years.

It was amazing to me how he executed in the big "little things" that win ball games as a RSF. Playing turnover-free football on a cold, snowy day in Madison and beating Nebraska and Stanford with his running ability.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
He didn't get cut, he just had to go into hiding.

Ok, wouldn't exactly go that far.

Those 2 INTs and the lost fumble enabled Akron to come back against the 'Cats, and Thorson couldn't move the ball against ILST, and fumbled at the worst moment against WMU.

At the beginning of his NU career, stated that Clayton was pretty raw as a passer.

Now, he did develop over the course of his 4 years as a starter, but not quite to the level as had hoped.

With his physical talent, thought that he should have been able to make more plays using his legs to set up passes, but aside from rare occasions, that didn't happen (put a lot of the blame on lack of further development on you know who).

Think the QBs who predated Thorson wished they had the benefit of JJTBC in his prime or the best NU Ds since the back-to-back titles, if not both (also had the benefit of the best NU receiver in some time for 1 glorious season).

Last edited:
Ok, wouldn't exactly go that far.

Those 2 INTs and the lost fumble enabled Akron to come back against the 'Cats, and Thorson couldn't move the ball against ILST, and fumbled at the worst moment against WMU.

At the beginning of his NU career, stated that Clayton was pretty raw as a passer.

Now, he did develop over the course of his 4 years as a starter, but not quite to the level as had hoped.

With his physical talent, thought that he should have been able to make more plays using his legs to set up passes, but aside from rare occasions, that didn't happen (put a lot of the blame on lack of further development on you know who).

Think the QBs who predated Thorson wished they had the benefit of JJTBC in his prime or the best NU Ds since the back-to-back titles, if not both (also had the benefit of the best NU receiver in some time for 1 glorious season).
Counterpoint - yes he had JJTBC, but, imagine a situation in which he had Austin Carr-level of talent for 3 or 4 years. You know, like the teams we face every week. Yes, may poor decisions and/or bad throws. But I seem to remember AC being able to fight for and win many of those jump balls. Other than AC, the next best year was Nagel who averaged 60 yds a game in 2018.

We can cover the other QBs with roses, but look who their targets were.

^ No other QB had a WR the caliber of AC in his prime (at least Thorson got 1 season).

In the year the 'Cats beat Penn State, Wisky and the Domers (should have beaten Michigan, Trevor lost his #1 receiver prior to the season) and his next 2 receivers (T. Jones) played with a broken hand (hence all the drops) and (Prater) missed some time.

CT also had a pretty nice TE, er superback, to throw to, but so did the QBs preceding him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT