ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson Torn ACL

Well, if the time projections on Thorson's injury are true, the new QB will have quite a baptism of fire with the coming season's schedule.

So it is between Green and Marty, initially. I liked what I saw of Green in a practice, although practices are just practices. GCG seemed to think that Green just doesn't have a chance. Dunno maybe GCG could comment. I know GCG had some comments about Marty that were pretty positive and pumped me up enough to watch Marty's tapes. Guy looked pretty good on tape. Definitely is a better runner than CT and aggressive but doesn't have CT Top Gun. Nonetheless, we have a team that is loaded to win a division. Marty looks like he is quite a talent. I hope we don't limit the playbook to 5 plays like we did when CT was a freshman. I've seen way too many OC allow the full playbook to be on display for freshmen and redshirt freshman (including the Georgia QB, and ND sub yesterday) with very positive results.

Looks like a medical redshirt for CT if this isn't career ending. I can't see him coming back for November or just a few games unless our new QB is struggling.

Awful, but not unexpected news. Hope all goes well in his recovery and that he can see the field again at some point next year to add to his unprecedented win total. Doesn’t sound like much of a chance he’ll be able to go against Purdue.

So it is between Green and Marty, initially. I liked what I saw of Green in a practice, although practices are just practices. GCG seemed to think that Green just doesn't have a chance. Dunno maybe GCG could comment. I know GCG had some comments about Marty that were pretty positive and pumped me up enough to watch Marty's tapes. Guy looked pretty good on tape. Definitely is a better runner than CT and aggressive but doesn't have CT Top Gun. Nonetheless, we have a team that is loaded to win a division. Marty looks like he is quite a talent. I hope we don't limit the playbook to 5 plays like we did when CT was a freshman. I've seen way too many OC allow the full playbook to be on display for freshmen and redshirt freshman (including the Georgia QB, and ND sub yesterday) with very positive results.

Looks like a medical redshirt for CT if this isn't career ending. I can't see him coming back for November or just a few games unless our new QB is struggling.

Why aren't people talking about Aidan Smith? He's the guy with a scholarship. The battle is going to be between Smith and Marty, not Marty and Green.

so he gets cut on in February, the quickest return is 9 months. Errrrrr. So he comes back for what, 3 games? Looks like a medical redshirt to me. Really bad timing.

Is this a possibility? Returning for a sixth season?

Intrigued by the grad school transfer mention by Teddy. Is there anybody out there that could be a fit?

so he gets cut on in February, the quickest return is 9 months. Errrrrr. So he comes back for what, 3 games? Looks like a medical redshirt to me. Really bad timing.
I've seen it be as little as 6 months in the past, but I'm guessing that neither NU nor CT would want to rush him back. I thought that 9 months was more like the average than the quickest return time. Would guess that it's unlikely he makes the start of the season, but that he could come back sometime during the year if he wanted to.

(Edit: should caveat this by #NotADoctor as well, and no idea of Clayton's situation specifically at all, just casual past observation of ACL injuries)

Is this a possibility? Returning for a sixth season?

I would think this is textbook for getting a medical redshirt. Seriously doubts he blows a season of eligibility for a few games and hopefully a bowl game. Really hope he wants to come back in 2019.

The only ONLY upside to the timing of Thorson's injury is that the candidates to replace him will be able to take a ton of reps in spring and fall. Hopefully the decision is made sooner than later, ideally during/after spring ball so that the starter can take full reps in fall practice. If I recall correctly, Thorson was only named the starter a couple weeks before the opener (at least officially anyway).

In terms of a "med red," every knee injury and recovery is different. To qualify, he would have to be medically unable to play for all of 2018 (including a bowl game) AND want to come back. I kind of get the feeling he would rather "start the clock" on his NFL career rather than come back for a sixth year, but perhaps he will decide another year at NU would be better to put reps on tape for NFL teams and prove that he's healthy rather than getting into camp or on a practice squad.

In no particular order, the QB candidates are Andrew Marty, Aiden Smith, TJ Green, and true FY Jason Whittaker. I gotta think either Marty or Smith is the likely starter at this point. A grad transfer may be an option, but don't know if we have a scholarship to offer.

It would also seem that Clayton coming back for a 6th year would throw off the whole time table of recruited qbs.......I am thinking a grad transfer is the way to go....Worked well for Wisconsin. Also with our strong group of running backs and strong defense ..a grad transfer who is also a strong runner.....Really feel for Clayton...all the pieces seemed to be in place for the team and Clayton......NEXT plan up......

The only ONLY upside to the timing of Thorson's injury is that the candidates to replace him will be able to take a ton of reps in spring and fall. Hopefully the decision is made sooner than later, ideally during/after spring ball so that the starter can take full reps in fall practice. If I recall correctly, Thorson was only named the starter a couple weeks before the opener (at least officially anyway).

In terms of a "med red," every knee injury and recovery is different. To qualify, he would have to be medically unable to play for all of 2018 (including a bowl game) AND want to come back. I kind of get the feeling he would rather "start the clock" on his NFL career rather than come back for a sixth year, but perhaps he will decide another year at NU would be better to put reps on tape for NFL teams and prove that he's healthy rather than getting into camp or on a practice squad.

Guess my thoughts on starting his NFL career, declaring for the 2019 draft I’d presume as he wouldn’t be able to even work out for teams until a year from now, is that a year starting in the BT would probably be far better for his development and eventual draft status than being a FA quarterback and holding a clipboard as a 3rd string. If he was projected as a 5th round now, what is he coming off an injury and not having played for an entire season?

I saw a lot of Marty and Smith in summer camp over by the lake. Smith does have a good arm and has some quicks as a runner as well. One Marty play I remember was him delivering a beautiful deep ball right on the hands of Jace James, who proceeded to drop it. What you worry about with new QBs is decision making, but like GCG says, at least these guys have an entire off-season to get prepared and fortunately Purdue has a lot of experience to replace on the defensive side of the ball where they were pretty darn good this year.

Reactions: DaCat
Guess my thoughts on starting his NFL career, declaring for the 2019 draft I’d presume as he wouldn’t be able to even work out for teams until a year from now, is that a year starting in the BT would probably be far better for his development and eventual draft status than being a FA quarterback and holding a clipboard as a 3rd string. If he was projected as a 5th round now, what is he coming off an injury and not having played for an entire season?

The money between a fifth round and free agent really isn't all that much in terms of guaranteed money/signing bonus. NFL players make "real money" by getting to free agency and signing the second contract, which is only done after the 4-5 year rookie deal expires; that's what I mean by "starting the clock," as Thorson could figure that getting a nominal signing bonus (and getting paid) for a year or two as a backup/practice squad guy might be preferable to rehabbing and playing a sixth year at NU.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I would think this is textbook for getting a medical redshirt. Seriously doubts he blows a season of eligibility for a few games and hopefully a bowl game. Really hope he wants to come back in 2019.
and another free year of education. His injury isn't a positive thing but he can move forward from here. Roadblocks happen in life and I've seen some tough ones like his turn into a positive thing at the end of the day.

Teddy ranked him as a late round pick if he came out this year prior to his injury. I thought he would be higher than that. Whatever the projections were, it's going to be tough for him to move up if he only plays a partial season. As a fan, I agree with you that at least we know 100% that someone is going to have to step up and that someone will get a lot of reps between now and August Thursday game.

It's a huge blow for Thorson, but I do hope they don't rush him back before he's fully recovered. No good would be served by him rushing back before he's 100 percent and risking a reinjury. It's a shame. I've seen him take much harder hits than the one that caused the injury. Just looked as if he had an awkward fall and twisted the knee.

Ugh, this stinks. Here's hoping his surgery is successful and his full recovery is as quick as possible. I'm not optimistic about seeing him back on the field for us next season...but maybe the following year? People are talking about the grad transfer option for the 2018 season, but do we have any idea of who would potentially be "on the market"?

It's a huge blow for Thorson, but I do hope they don't rush him back before he's fully recovered. No good would be served by him rushing back before he's 100 percent and risking a reinjury. It's a shame. I've seen him take much harder hits than the one that caused the injury. Just looked as if he had an awkward fall and twisted the knee.

I hope we don't see him play in purple again. The way Persa's injury was handled is a model of what not to do. CT should get fully healthy, coach up the younger guys, and get onto an NFL practice squad in 2019. And we should look into a graduate transfer.

I don’t understand the timetable. Corey Wootton blew out his ACL (and other things) in a bowl game and was able to play game 1 of the next season.

Granted, it took Corey Wootton a while to fully recover, but a pocket passing QB and a 290 Pound DE perhaps have a different recovery threshold to be effective.

I think it’s too early to assume Thorson can’t be ready to go game 1 of next season.

http://blog.gameready.com/blog/acl-surgery-recovery-101-timeline-tips

I hope we don't see him play in purple again. The way Persa's injury was handled is a model of what not to do. CT should get fully healthy, coach up the younger guys, and get onto an NFL practice squad in 2019. And we should look into a graduate transfer.

I actually kind of agree, but only because it seems like that’s what’s best for Clayton at this moment.

If he wants to play another year and boost his draft stock, that’s fine. If his rehab goes really well and he’s ready to go in October, great. Honestly there are a lot of factors and whatever gives him the best shot at success at the next level is what I’m rooting for.

I'm with MR - if Rod Woodson can come back from an ACL on Opening Day by the Super Bowl, maybe Thorson can come back in seven months instead of 10. Doesn't mean he'll be as good, or that he even should come back then (I don't want him to be rushed), but he could be back by then if things go well.

Regardless, I feel sorry for the guy. 2018 should have been a great year for him - graduating, getting married, winning the Heisman - and now he'll think back on 2018 with a bit of sadness.

Reactions: ricko654321
Persa had a setback on his Achilles recovery, which can be a much more finicky thing.It's not indicative of how CT's ACL recovery might progress.

If he has the surgery at the end of January, it is conceivable that CT participates in Kenosha. For lay people, 6 months is the usual marker for resumption of normal activities. Football players are not normal, and they put much more stress on their joints. So the 6-month juncture (let's say August 1, but more likely mid-July ish) could be the point at which CT is running and throwing without contact. From there it's just wait and see how he feels.

Reactions: zeek55
I don’t understand the timetable. Corey Wootton blew out his ACL (and other things) in a bowl game and was able to play game 1 of the next season.

Granted, it took Corey Wootton a while to fully recover, but a pocket passing QB and a 290 Pound DE perhaps have a different recovery threshold to be effective.

I think it’s too early to assume Thorson can’t be ready to go game 1 of next season.

ACL injuries aren't what they used to be, for sure. I personally know of a couple of athletes who had ACLs who were up and running at full speed within six months.

Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in early November and is expected to be back participating in OTAs this spring. He'll very likely be at 100% when training camp starts this summer.
https://www.chron.com/sports/texans...n-Watson-ahead-of-schedule-after-12467214.php

Yeah, it's way too premature to write CT off for the 2018 campaign.

It all depends on how his recovery and rehab goes from surgery. No doubt there'll be a backup plan fully in place, but if he heals and is ready to go, he'll be in the mix.

Reactions: ricko654321

ESPN article had a source tell Adam Rittenberg that Thorson is expected on campus next season

In no particular order, the QB candidates are Andrew Marty, Aiden Smith, TJ Green, and true FY Jason Whittaker. I gotta think either Marty or Smith is the likely starter at this point. A grad transfer may be an option, but don't know if we have a scholarship to offer.
Wasn't it just noted a week or so back that NU still had 2 scholarships to give? Also if Thorson decides to go pro or into a job of his choosing, then there would be 3 available.

Ugh, this stinks. Here's hoping his surgery is successful and his full recovery is as quick as possible. I'm not optimistic about seeing him back on the field for us next season...but maybe the following year? People are talking about the grad transfer option for the 2018 season, but do we have any idea of who would potentially be "on the market"?
Hopefully the coaches are looking hard and maybe burning up the phone lines.

Wasn't it just noted a week or so back that NU still had 2 scholarships to give? Also if Thorson decides to go pro or into a job of his choosing, then there would be 3 available.
Hopefully the coaches are looking hard and maybe burning up the phone lines.
First, they have to wait until after surgery to analyze the timetable for his recovery. It's completely unknown when he'll be 100% right now, anywhere from 6 months to 12 months is a fair guess without knowing how he is after surgery.

At the end of this month, they should have some idea of when it'll be reasonable for him to be active again, but it all depends on how the recovery goes.

There's decent odds that CT plays all or part of 2018.

It would be out of character for NU, but we would have to be a good destination for a transfer QB. What we lack in program tradition or a giant fan base, we more than make up for with recent success, stable coaching, a lakefront facility and the power of the Chicago market/Bristol Medill mafia. Michigan already got its transfer. Why couldn’t we get someone for the fall?

Does anyone have insight into why TJ Green isn't making more progress in getting on the depth chart?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT