ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson Update

Per ESPN, his surgery was successful and an update on his timing should come soon.

Nate Hall's ACL repair was also successful.

Good news. Did not realize that Hall had also torn a knee ligament. Let’s hope we see both of them back out there as soon as possible.

Reactions: nu greek
Surgery is considered successful when the planned procedure is completed and the patient survives the surgery. Success in recovery of function is deferred to rehab. The psychologic aspect of the injury - assuming recovery of function, whether having been injured changes how the player plays the game - is an entirely different question.

Of course they are usually successful, but no major surgery is 100% successful
Is there ever a press release about a player having surgery that says there were complications and the surgery was not successful? Maybe it happens and I don't realize it but this seems in line with saying the airplane arrived safely from Nashville.

Surgeries are almost always announced as "successful" after the immediate procedure, but there can be longer term complications during rehab/recovery that can make them "unsuccessful" later.

Timofey Mozgov is a pretty good example of that. He had a knee surgery in 2015 deemed "successful" and then later developed a cyst while recovering, which basically meant he was playing on a bad knee for at least a year after the rehab ended.

So yeah, the important factor in these cases is almost always projected rehab time-frame as well as how an athlete does against the projected time-frame.

Are we so jaded that we can't just take a positive piece of news for what it is?

Two young kids who play sports in part for our pleasure got hurt, and the procedures to repair them went well. Why the second guessing?
Yeah I was quite confused by it too. For some reason I was criticized for saying this was good news haha.

Reactions: NUCat320
Yeah I was quite confused by it too. For some reason I was criticized for saying this was good news haha.

In other good news, it was confirmed that the sun came up today and Fitz's house in Northfield remains standing. ;)

Are we so jaded that we can't just take a positive piece of news for what it is?

Two young kids who play sports in part for our pleasure got hurt, and the procedures to repair them went well. Why the second guessing?
Isn't the full title of this board, "Football Board: Second Guessing for Amateurs and the Odd Know-It-All?"

Reactions: IGNORE2
Of course they are usually successful, but no major surgery is 100% successful
And a lot might depend on what was found in the process of the surgery. If it was more involved, wouldn't that be part of the announcement?

And a lot might depend on what was found in the process of the surgery. If it was more involved, wouldn't that be part of the announcement?

Probably not, given Fitz's typically quiet approach to injuries along with HIPAA issues.

Probably not, given Fitz's typically quiet approach to injuries along with HIPAA issues.
Rightfully so. These kids are still private people who deserve the right of privacy. We are not the parents, or the wife, or a person directly impacted by the injury/surgery/ so we don't have a right or a need to know the details. We would love to think of ourselves that way, but we ain't. so let's allow the good news of a successful surgery stand on its own. That's all we're entitled to. If you are a team doctor, of the coach then you get a different set of information. But for this know-it-all board we're entitled to exactly what Fitz gives us...the basics and that's it. HIPAA is real and carries penalties if breached. Both Nate and Clayton are going through rehab that will allow them to continue their lives, and hopefully return to the field for our enjoyment on Saturdays. If they never are able to play again, so be it. If they can play on Sunday, that, too, is great. But for now let them be themselves, not a TV show of "keeping up with the Thorsons and the Halls". They deserve our respect for their privacy. If THEY want to let us in, that's fine, but let's not keep banging on the door.

Think back to both of these next year when inevitably people get bent out of shape when a handful of NFL bound kids elect to sit out their bowl games.
In this case they were juniors and not declaring for the draft, but I understand the point you’re making.

However, what is it about sitting the bowl game that makes it more valid than sitting any other game? How about a senior on a team that’s not bowl eligible - say they’re the one draftable senior on a 3-7 Team with 2 games left? What would people say about players that said they’re sitting out to avoid injury?

My attempt to get to work today was successful. It remains to be seen whether my workday is successful.

However, what is it about sitting the bowl game that makes it more valid than sitting any other game? How about a senior on a team that’s not bowl eligible - say they’re the one draftable senior on a 3-7 Team with 2 games left? What would people say about players that said they’re sitting out to avoid injury?

I think we'll see it sooner than later.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
In this case they were juniors and not declaring for the draft, but I understand the point you’re making.

May depend too on whether they want to finish the semester academically. I assume once you do this you drop out to dedicate yourself to preparing for the draft and your scholarship ends, but maybe not. I wouldn't blame a kid for doing that either - doesn't it benefit the football program too, they could start playing the kid who will be there next year instead of someone who won't

Reactions: willycat
Rightfully so. These kids are still private people who deserve the right of privacy. We are not the parents, or the wife, or a person directly impacted by the injury/surgery/ so we don't have a right or a need to know the details. We would love to think of ourselves that way, but we ain't. so let's allow the good news of a successful surgery stand on its own. That's all we're entitled to. If you are a team doctor, of the coach then you get a different set of information. But for this know-it-all board we're entitled to exactly what Fitz gives us...the basics and that's it. HIPAA is real and carries penalties if breached. Both Nate and Clayton are going through rehab that will allow them to continue their lives, and hopefully return to the field for our enjoyment on Saturdays. If they never are able to play again, so be it. If they can play on Sunday, that, too, is great. But for now let them be themselves, not a TV show of "keeping up with the Thorsons and the Halls". They deserve our respect for their privacy. If THEY want to let us in, that's fine, but let's not keep banging on the door.
HIPAA may be real, but a football coach is not a Covered Entity under HIPAA.
https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/privacysummary.pdf

Not to argue that we have any right to know. But, it is sort of a TV show. Millions of dollars are paid so they can play on TV and we can watch. It is because fans are interested and curious about all aspects of our team.
We may have no right to know but we do have a right to be curious, in fact the whole system is based on our curiosity. The whole thing would collapse if nobody cared.
I hope to hear about it when someone sees a guy off crutches or back running, practicing with the team. All of that.

Not to argue that we have any right to know. But, it is sort of a TV show. Millions of dollars are paid so they can play on TV and we can watch. It is because fans are interested and curious about all aspects of our team.
We may have no right to know but we do have a right to be curious, in fact the whole system is based on our curiosity. The whole thing would collapse if nobody cared.
I hope to hear about it when someone sees a guy off crutches or back running, practicing with the team. All of that.
I do not mean to jump on Deeringfish, because he acknowledges no "right" to know. But, even raising the issue upsets me - call me ultra-sensitive. The word, "right", in the context in which it is used here, may be the most overused and misunderstood in the English language today. Despite a grotesque increase in popular conception of rights in recent decades, fortunately we, as fans, have NO RIGHT to know anything about these young men or their injuries. NONE! Curiosity does not create a right - it is absurd to think so. Neither does buying a ticket or watching on TV. People in our society need to relearn their places - and those places are not going to make many happy.

I do not mean to jump on Deeringfish, because he acknowledges no "right" to know. But, even raising the issue upsets me - call me ultra-sensitive. The word, "right", in the context in which it is used here, may be the most overused and misunderstood in the English language today. Despite a grotesque increase in popular conception of rights in recent decades, fortunately we, as fans, have NO RIGHT to know anything about these young men or their injuries. NONE! Curiosity does not create a right - it is absurd to think so. Neither does buying a ticket or watching on TV. People in our society need to relearn their places - and those places are not going to make many happy.
Nicely said, AB Thank you for being on the patient's (student-athlete) side. We don't have any rights regarding the health status of another person no matter how much our curiosity is stimulated. and if we did know, so what? It is just more fodder for ruminations about what could be or what could have been. And none of that has any bearing on how this individual is going to be in the future. . Regarding the HIPAA, the coach is not covered but because the player is being treated "on his watch" I suspect that the athlete would want the coach to be up to date, so long as it stays with the coach unless the student athlete gives permission to release the information.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I think what you meant to say is there is a lot of money wagered on these games and the gamblers need to know

I guess you don't have a right to your morning coffee either. But, I agree with you.

May depend too on whether they want to finish the semester academically. I assume once you do this you drop out to dedicate yourself to preparing for the draft and your scholarship ends, but maybe not. I wouldn't blame a kid for doing that either - doesn't it benefit the football program too, they could start playing the kid who will be there next year instead of someone who won't
In many cases, once you start the Semester (Quarter) you are already in and paid for. I doubt the school could rescind that mid term

Regarding the HIPAA, the coach is not covered but because the player is being treated "on his watch" I suspect that the athlete would want the coach to be up to date, so long as it stays with the coach unless the student athlete gives permission to release the information.

That raises interesting questions. I assume the student athletes are presented with disclosure/ROI forms in which they may permit information about their treatment under team medical personnel to be shared with coaches. That makes sense because it is necessary for the coaches to know directly from team docs what a player’s limitations, risks at etc. in determining how they resume play.

Of course, it would probably not extend to, saythe student health service if the student was seeking testing for STIs. Or to outside physicians/facilities.

In addition - perhaps it is not Fitz that is “secretive” but perhaps the institutional HIPAA rules, OR that perhaps we offer athletes more choice in the level of information they release.

That raises interesting questions. I assume the student athletes are presented with disclosure/ROI forms in which they may permit information about their treatment under team medical personnel to be shared with coaches. That makes sense because it is necessary for the coaches to know directly from team docs what a player’s limitations, risks at etc. in determining how they resume play.

Of course, it would probably not extend to, saythe student health service if the student was seeking testing for STIs. Or to outside physicians/facilities.

In addition - perhaps it is not Fitz that is “secretive” but perhaps the institutional HIPAA rules, OR that perhaps we offer athletes more choice in the level of information they release.
If the student went to the Student Health Facility (NUHS) or went to an outside facility or physician, where a history and physical was performed for the issue at hand, the student is allowed to give that information directly to the examining physician or sign a release of information allowing records to be given or sent to the new physician, assuming it was needed for further evaluation and treatment [planning.. It should be noted that the team physicians office in the NUHS building.

Don't understand the question as posed.
Didn't they give the extent of the injury when Wooton underwent surgery? That it was both ACL and MC,etc? We have heard more definitive than likely ACL tear on CT and it seems even less on Hall. And no followup other than surgery successful

Didn't they give the extent of the injury when Wooton underwent surgery? That it was both ACL and MC,etc? We have heard nothing on CT or Hall.

Not true. We’ve heard that the surgery went fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT