ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Nashville: The Great, Good, Bad and Ugly...

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Just departing Nashville. Some thoughts for those who couldn't make the trip (and curious to hear if folks who were here agree!)...

The Great:

- VICTORY. Ten win season, eight straight W's, finish ranked in the top 20, beat the SEC, sent the seniors off with a win. JJTBC is so special. So proud of this class.

- The Music City Bowl experience. I can't say enough about Nashville really leaning into this game. The fan zone downtown was really fun, the (free!) outdoor BBQ was delicious (and apparently featured some big deal chefs in town), and every venue had live music -- plus the main stage. It really felt like an event that the community bought into. Highly recommend attendance in the future if we get invited back, and will say the same to all of my B1G friends from other schools.

- Our fan turnout. May have been the best I can remember, on par with Outback (vs Auburn) and Gator. UK had more fans, but it wasn't very lopsided. Purple was very visible all over town. I walked around the stadium in the first half for a few different views of the stadium, and I'd estimate we had between 11 and 12k in purple (sound about right?). And the roar on THE pick six was awesome. Props to a majority of those fans for sticking around for the postgame ceremony in the bitter cold. It was worth it.

The Good:

- Alviti's game management. I'd have said that Thorson was our only "cannot lose" player (in terms of injury) and was very worried about losing the game when he went down. Alviti waited and toiled as a backup for years despite being a top rated recruit, then he stepped up and led this team to victory in literally his final collegiate game, on a big stage. He wasn't spectacular, but he made zero big mistakes. Props also go to Larkin, Gaziano, Queiro and Long, among others...

- Kentucky fans. Like we've experienced on here, nearly every UK fan I encountered in Nashville was polite and nice. Hats off to them.

- The stadium. Good sight lines, good amenities. And the club seats were worth every penny for the warmth between quarters.

The Bad:

- The weather. It wasn't Chicago-freezing, but damn. It was cold. This bowl would have been perhaps my all-time favorite if the temps were about 15-20 degrees warmer.

- Breathtakingly awful coaching decisions in big spots. The trick play at the 2 yard line and the non-punt on 4th down late (I actually think Alviti got it) were absolutely maddening. We had a number of big fourth downs and we chose NOT to give the ball to THE THIRD B1G ALL-TIME RUSHER? That near-loss would have been on the coaches, despite all the other adversity. Nevertheless, this group coached us to 10 wins after a 2-3 start. Thanks to Jerry Brown for many years of service to NU.

The Ugly:

- The injuries. Nate, Clayton and Barrett all out for the game. Really tough to overcome that, especially after Paddy got tossed. Four of our biggest players were out for most/all of the game, and we won. I think that if Clayton (whose injury was gruesome on replay) stays healthy, we win comfortably, probably by 2+ scores. Anyone disagree?

- The officiating. Perhaps the worst I've ever witnessed. The Snell ejection was worthy of MAYBE a flag, but probably just a warning. An ejection was outrageous. The targeting call on Paddy was also an absolute joke. These jerks booted two of the game's stars in the first half...for no reason. The targeting call was doubly exposed when UK did the same damn thing to one of our guys & nothing happened. The officials were flag-happy and intrusive all day. The defensive holding call on UK's would-be tying drive came on a flag that was thrown an eternity after the play was over. Dreadful, dreadful job all around. The PAC12 should be embarrassed. Talking with Kentucky fans at halftime, we were all in total agreement on this point.

Just departing Nashville. Some thoughts for those who couldn't make the trip (and curious to hear if folks who were here agree!)...

The Great:

- VICTORY. Ten win season, eight straight W's, finish ranked in the top 20, beat the SEC, sent the seniors off with a win. JJTBC is so special. So proud of this class.

- The Music City Bowl experience. I can't say enough about Nashville really leaning into this game. The fan zone downtown was really fun, the (free!) outdoor BBQ was delicious (and apparently featured some big deal chefs in town), and every venue had live music -- plus the main stage. It really felt like an event that the community bought into. Highly recommend attendance in the future if we get invited back, and will say the same to all of my B1G friends from other schools.

- Our fan turnout. May have been the best I can remember, on par with Outback (vs Auburn) and Gator. UK had more fans, but it wasn't very lopsided. Purple was very visible all over town. I walked around the stadium in the first half for a few different views of the stadium, and I'd estimate we had between 11 and 12k in purple (sound about right?). And the roar on THE pick six was awesome. Props to a majority of those fans for sticking around for the postgame ceremony in the bitter cold. It was worth it.

The Good:

- Alviti's game management. I'd have said that Thorson was our only "cannot lose" player (in terms of injury) and was very worried about losing the game when he went down. Alviti waited and toiled as a backup for years despite being a top rated recruit, then he stepped up and led this team to victory in literally his final collegiate game, on a big stage. He wasn't spectacular, but he made zero big mistakes. Props also go to Larkin, Gaziano, Queiro and Long, among others...

- Kentucky fans. Like we've experienced on here, nearly every UK fan I encountered in Nashville was polite and nice. Hats off to them.

- The stadium. Good sight lines, good amenities. And the club seats were worth every penny for the warmth between quarters.

The Bad:

- The weather. It wasn't Chicago-freezing, but damn. It was cold. This bowl would have been perhaps my all-time favorite if the temps were about 15-20 degrees warmer.

- Breathtakingly awful coaching decisions in big spots. The trick play at the 2 yard line and the non-punt on 4th down late (I actually think Alviti got it) were absolutely maddening. We had a number of big fourth downs and we chose NOT to give the ball to THE THIRD B1G ALL-TIME RUSHER? That near-loss would have been on the coaches, despite all the other adversity. Nevertheless, this group coached us to 10 wins after a 2-3 start. Thanks to Jerry Brown for many years of service to NU.

The Ugly:

- The injuries. Nate, Clayton and Barrett all out for the game. Really tough to overcome that, especially after Paddy got tossed. Four of our biggest players were out for most/all of the game, and we won. I think that if Clayton (whose injury was gruesome on replay) stays healthy, we win comfortably, probably by 2+ scores. Anyone disagree?

- The officiating. Perhaps the worst I've ever witnessed. The Snell ejection was worthy of MAYBE a flag, but probably just a warning. An ejection was outrageous. The targeting call on Paddy was also an absolute joke. These jerks booted two of the game's stars in the first half...for no reason. The targeting call was doubly exposed when UK did the same damn thing to one of our guys & nothing happened. The officials were flag-happy and intrusive all day. The defensive holding call on UK's would-be tying drive came on a flag that was thrown an eternity after the play was over. Dreadful, dreadful job all around. The PAC12 should be embarrassed. Talking with Kentucky fans at halftime, we were all in total agreement on this point.
To defend the weather... it was not snowing, raining, or sleeting. It was very cold but a beautiful day/evening otherwise.

To add to the overall experience, props to FloridAlum for the Purple Party before the game. That event plus the alumni event immediately pre-game made this my overall favorite bowl experience in terms of the entire game day. I enjoyed meeting many of our fellow posters from the board. Y’all are actually nice. Who’da thunk it?;)

The Great:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

I'll add one clarification from TV: the ref had a hard time physically getting the flag out on the defensive holding call. But he was calling it the whole time, and it was indeed the correct call.

I'll add one clarification from TV: the ref had a hard time physically getting the flag out on the defensive holding call. But he was calling it the whole time, and it was indeed the correct call.

This is true. Was digging waaaay down there to get the flag. But it was holding all the way on Godwin.

Sitting in the stands, I was pretty upset about the call. Watching the saved game on television last night, there was little argument. It was the right call.

Kentucky held on the same play, which was blatant and not called.
I am watching the Miss State/Louisville game right now with B1G officials. I don't think I am going to complain about our officials for a while. It is night and day compared to what I saw last night.

To defend the weather... it was not snowing, raining, or sleeting. It was very cold but a beautiful day/evening otherwise.

To add to the overall experience, props to FloridAlum for the Purple Party before the game. That event plus the alumni event immediately pre-game made this my overall favorite bowl experience in terms of the entire game day. I enjoyed meeting many of our fellow posters from the board. Y’all are actually nice. Who’da thunk it?;)

The lack of precipitation and wind was a big plus. That's why the weather didn't make it to my "ugly" category!

The Great:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

The weather was cold but much better than this year's Minnesota game. The NU side was not in the sun which would have helped at the beginning. This makes two straight bowl games we have had to sit through a cold day, although winning makes it worth the effort. We need to get a warm weather destination next year.

I thought the weather was great. It was a paradise compared to the MN game.

Very good beer selection at the stadium.

Reactions: Williesfan

The Great:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Excellent assessment (save for the defensive hold that was already discussed), except that contacting an official is an automatic ejection. He could NOT have given just a flag, or a warning, by rule.

The Great:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Nice post.

Not there, but I will add to
The Good:
The uniforms. NU's white numbers on purple jerseys are far and away the best look, with the black helmet giving it an updated appeal. Meanwhile, Kentucky's checkerboard shoulders were somehow both traditional and modern.

I know nothing about design, but both teams looked sweet.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Nashville was a spectacular bowl venue. I got off the plane, stuffed myself at the Purple Party, spent 2 hours at Roberts Western World then headed to the game

The result of the game satisfying but the officiating was horrible

Post game I closed out the night at Tootsies. I love country music and lower Broadway rivals The Irish music in Dublin's Templebar

I spent Saturday at The Country Music Hall of Fame-nostalgia at its best. While there a tall older gentleman asked if we had won. He then said he was a friend of Jim Phillips and on the Orange Bowl committee and wants NU there in the near future. Evidently, his wife had scheduled the trip to Nashville despite Orange Bowl being tonight

Reactions: GlideCat
Not there, but I will add to
The Good:
The uniforms. NU's white numbers on purple jerseys are far and away the best look, with the black helmet giving it an updated appeal. Meanwhile, Kentucky's checkerboard shoulders were somehow both traditional and modern.

I know nothing about design, but both teams looked sweet.

Wasn’t digging the purple-on-purple-on-purple look, personally.

It may have been but the contrast with the lack of calls when our receivers were getting mugged in the first half was pretty glaring

Reactions: nycat33
There was a moose sighting in your honor. Since it was a stuffed moose instead of a real one, we only won but did not cover.

The Purple Party was a blast for the participants. FloridAlum knows the numbers. The heaters on the patio worked well.

Let me add a big Thanks to FloridAlum (the biscuit king) for another great PP!! It was great to see you all (back in Boston, certain privileges have expired :)) Looking forward to the next one. Happy New Year!

Let me add a big Thanks to FloridAlum (the biscuit king) for another great PP!! It was great to see you all (back in Boston, certain privileges have expired :)) Looking forward to the next one. Happy New Year!
Did anyone check to be sure he got out of the stadium? I'm worried that he is still sitting there like a little frozen popsicle. Haven't seen any post since the game.

I can confirm that he is alive. He was dining at a Waffle House in Georgia 2 hours ago, so I cannot confirm that he is well.
"Waffle House" and "dining" aren't usually used in the same sentence.....and I'm a member of the Waffle House Regulars Club!

I need a tutorial on how to post a picture. Got a doozy of FLAlum.

I just got a new iPhone this week and have google photos if this helps.

Calling Alaskacat!

On google photos --
  1. click your photo
  2. right click on the picture
  3. select "Copy image address" from menu
  4. come back here, select the picture icon in this message box, next to smiley
  5. paste into the popup
  6. done

Did anyone check to be sure he got out of the stadium? I'm worried that he is still sitting there like a little frozen popsicle. Haven't seen any post since the game.

Been on the highway most of yesterday and today driving back from Nashville, overnight in south Georgia with waffle house across the street.Coral and Gary carried me out of the stadium, and Coral took me out for a little post game snack

Is it just my purple tinted glasses, or can we say Ugly for KY demonstrating after very play they made? Do we do the same? I saw WML running around after his sack and I was a little harrumph-y, but otherwise it just doesn't seem like we preen for the audience whenever we make a play. I hate it. Act like you've been there.

Oh, and although I live in a rowhouse, get off my lawn.

- Breathtakingly awful coaching decisions in big spots.

Well, let's see.

When you all went for it on 4th and inches at the 39, I told my Kentucky group that is was our only chance . . . . our best back was out, our QB gimpy, we had only one timeout left, and there were less than 3 minutes left. About the only reasonable hope we could have had at that point was find a way to have a real short field to make a comeback TD.

Whether your back actually made the 40 is debatable, but I would hope that the decision to go for it on 4th down is not. Our punt return unit is not spectacular, and the risk of our breaking off a TD from a punt is low, considering we had 0 TD's on punt returns, this year.

As strange a call as I have seen, given the circumstances.

Still, a win is a win.

There was nothing wrong with Fitz's decision on 4th and 1. If we make that (and I fervently believe we did) we win the game.

I'd like to point out how nice and friendly the stadium workers were. After the game we were congratulated on the win by almost every person we saw as well left the stadium. All in all, a very professional and courteous operation there in Nashville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT