ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on lead guard...

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
So, just an exhibition and one game under NU's belt....but some thoughts:

In the presser Collins said, "we have lead guard by committee." I paraphrase. And then named four or five players.

I'd like him to say, "our two lead guards are AJ and Jordan, and Greer has earned some time.

Not sure why Jordan played few minutes Thursday....he's looking good...I hope that he's fully recovered. I think Greer should play a bit more. Not hugely more, but a bit more.

AJ has done a really nice job with the ball and distribution. Sees the court well. Leads on passes. Needs to hear from Collins that he's the guy.

Anthony is wonderful and no doubt a plus defender. Just worried that he cancels out some of that on the offensive end.

It will be interesting when NU goes against top tier opponent how Collins tightens the rotation.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Not sure why Jordan played few minutes Thursday....he's looking good...I hope that he's fully recovered.

When he’s in the game, it’s essentially 4 on 5 every offensive possession. You can only do that for a handful of minutes every game. If we have to play him extended minutes this season, we’re probably in a lot of trouble.

Not sure why Jordan played few minutes Thursday....he's looking good...I hope that he's fully recovered.
He's wearing some sort of compression stocking on one leg. Plus he didn't elevate on the break away bucket. Leads me to believe he isn't close to 100% physically.

I worry about tough defenses with full-court presses. I'm not sold on this whole point guard by committee theory. How are we going to set up our O? Our D will be our strength for sure- I just hope someone emerges soon as a dominant ball handler for us- or else we might be in for some trouble??

I don't think a lead guard is a huge issue with this team. Just need to find a couple players confident and skilled enough to get the ball in the post to pardon. I highly doubt anyone presses us for a full game. This team could be very scary scoring in transition as well with some of the athletes we have.

Reactions: mickbula
... Anthony is wonderful and no doubt a plus defender. Just worried that he cancels out some of that on the offensive end.

I know there are a few out here who regularly mention Gaines as a lead guard possibility. I dont see his ballhandling much better than last year. That dribble is way too high to consider him as an option.

AJ's shot looked awfully flat the other night. Let's hope it's a one-game thing.

I really dont know where that position is going right now. I'm concerned more about the shooting than the ballhandling. I think Law and Turner with Ash and a bit of Greer mixed in will handle any moments of heavy pressure.

But it's a work in progress.

No problem with Ash in there. He broke the press easily last week. Let's see what happens tonight.
It is NOT about breaking presses. It is about being able to get the team into some semblance of offense, and being able to do something when the shot clock is winding down. The offense became stagnant many times against UNO.....lots of meaningless passes around the perimeter never getting inside to Dererk. Collins talked about it in the postgame presser.

It is NOT about breaking presses. It is about being able to get the team into some semblance of offense, and being able to do something when the shot clock is winding down. The offense became stagnant many times against UNO.....lots of meaningless passes around the perimeter never getting inside to Dererk. Collins talked about it in the postgame presser.
I agree. But Michigan and Illinois will press us all day and we need ball handlers. Ash won’t be 100 percent till January. Let Greer get some experience. I like Greer. He is ready. Looks better than Sobolewski.

It is a combination. I remember a number of years ago when we only had one guard capable of bringing the ball up the court(and he was really a shooting guard but he was all we had) It got really ugly when someone put a press on them

Now, I haven't played in a while, but for the motion offense that the Cats now run, getting the team into the offense just involves making the first pass to a wing and then cutting. Not sure why that needs a special player to do it.

I expect that in any press situation, the Cats will use at least three players bringing the ball up with minimal dribbling, so I don't expect ball handling coming up court will be an issue in most games. Having a lead who facilitates the offensive sets might be more of a concern, but given how out of sync they were vs NO I expect the offense will settle in with a few more non-con games as they get more confident and comfortable with their new teammates and court.

I'll be a lot more concerned if they are still out of sync 12/01

Reactions: drewjin
Now, I haven't played in a while, but for the motion offense that the Cats now run, getting the team into the offense just involves making the first pass to a wing and then cutting. Not sure why that needs a special player to do it.

I trust that the Cats will be able to work the offense and get an open shot within 30 seconds most times, but I haven't yet seen anyone in the Tre Demps mold who can reliably create their own shot. We may squander a few points in end-of-half/game situations because of that...

Reactions: RockfishCat
I thought the absence of Ash was clearly evident. We are a vastly different team out there. We need him back by January 1st to make a run at the Big Ten Title.

Greer got some major minutes against AU. I'm not thinking he's the answer, but it's great that he is getting some experience early.

I'm glad we have a lot of options.

I supported our football team when we were 1-31 in BT back when I lettered for Northwestern in 1981. The hoops team can lose every big ten game and I would still support them. Probably would not watch much of em though. I have hope for this team. Still think we can be sweet sixteen. The real work starts in January. Remember,the football team lost all their non conference games. This is a time where we can develop players. Greer and Turner can develop their game right now. Let them get most of the minutes. We need Ash for the Big Ten season and NCAA tournament. But Ash needs to be at full strength. Hopefully,he can get to 100 percent in six weeks. Plenty of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT