ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts.

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
This one hurt. I had to double up on the double dog special at Tommys and go spend time with the grand kids ...to get this one off my mind.
I really think in this game if you matched offensive wits vs offensive wits..we got beat ..their offensive staff figured it out early , adapted and did us in....I am slow to pull the trigger...I know there are a lot of factors involved in an offense being successful but just the thinking and developing part,,,Purdue is ahead of and better than us ....so I am finally convinced we do need to change.
Purdue seemed to scheme very well and call some great plays (the running back in the flat isolated on our slower line backer) and run formations to isolate Ruiz and a receiver and for that matter on a running play that isolated an over anxious Ruiz that created a touchdown.
Mr. Ruiz had a tough day,,,I hope he bounces back
9 penalties...they all seemed at crucial times.The holding penalty on Slater (his 2nd) just after we got first down on the recovered fumble I thought was a killer. Might have been able to score of at least have a much shorter field goal .
We just never seem to get THE play this year and today it seemed like we never even attempted it. On the final drive where we missed the field goal....it was just set up to try an play action and seal the deal... and on defense against a freshman walk-on in his first start i think we only blitzed once,,,when we did get pressure with the front 4 he threw 2 interceptions and a safety.
sometimes I vacillate on this thinking that the coaches dont think we have the personnel to take risks and sometimes I think they are just conservative beyond belief.
anyway it is gonna be colder than crap next Saturday so I need to find another layer and the lined mittens.

This one hurt. I had to double up on the double dog special at Tommys and go spend time with the grand kids ...to get this one off my mind.
I really think in this game if you matched offensive wits vs offensive wits..we got beat ..their offensive staff figured it out early , adapted and did us in....I am slow to pull the trigger...I know there are a lot of factors involved in an offense being successful but just the thinking and developing part,,,Purdue is ahead of and better than us ....so I am finally convinced we do need to change.
Purdue seemed to scheme very well and call some great plays (the running back in the flat isolated on our slower line backer) and run formations to isolate Ruiz and a receiver and for that matter on a running play that isolated an over anxious Ruiz that created a touchdown.
Mr. Ruiz had a tough day,,,I hope he bounces back
9 penalties...they all seemed at crucial times.The holding penalty on Slater (his 2nd) just after we got first down on the recovered fumble I thought was a killer. Might have been able to score of at least have a much shorter field goal .
We just never seem to get THE play this year and today it seemed like we never even attempted it. On the final drive where we missed the field goal....it was just set up to try an play action and seal the deal... and on defense against a freshman walk-on in his first start i think we only blitzed once,,,when we did get pressure with the front 4 he threw 2 interceptions and a safety.
sometimes I vacillate on this thinking that the coaches dont think we have the personnel to take risks and sometimes I think they are just conservative beyond belief.
anyway it is gonna be colder than crap next Saturday so I need to find another layer and the lined mittens.

Very good observations. One I would add is that the attrition at defensive tackle has taken away the ability of the defense to attack and create pressure. Early in the year before the injuries, they were controlling the interior line. Now they are fighting just to hold their own.

I agree on d line attrition. Looked like a concussion for Alex Miller. After Alex left the game our D struggled to control line of scrimmage. Cumulative loss of Kent, Brown, and Miller brothers changed the complexion of the D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT