ADVERTISEMENT

Tired of the McCall Criticism--and so is Fitz

YesterdaysCat

Dec 7, 2015
It's clear that we just don't have the horses to operate the offense properly. The receivers can't get separation because the opposition plays them tight on the line of scrimmage. Opponents aren't respecting our receivers' 'ability' on go routes because our receivers don't have that ability. Why play quarters and off our receivers when we can't go deep? If we do take shots down the field, the receivers can't catch the ball when it's thrown well, which isn't often, either. Our opponents play tight on our receivers and live with it because there's only a slim chance that we'll be completing passes down the field.

A lack of receiving talent means that we have no short passing game and a nonexistent deep passing game.

As for the zone read and option looks so successful with Colter and Mark, Thorson is fast but he doesn't have the wiggle of Ohio State's Barrett or our former QB, Kain Colter. Thorson has straight line speed and does not have the ball skills that Tennessee's Dobbs has. Thorson has fooled no one with ball fakes.

Thorson is especially adept at scrambling when passing plays break down, but you can't build an offense out of broken plays. (Sometimes it feels like entire drives are predicated on that, though.)

We have developed a nice running game, but it's entirely contingent on winning the line of scrimmage because Long and Jackson are not speed guys. They have good vision, strength, and durability, and they don't turn over the ball. When you win the LOS, these guys are brilliant. With our thin offensive line (thin due to mediocre recruiting and injuries), it's difficult to sustain dominance of the LOS with no passing game and no deception with the option game.

That's why we're one dimensional and I don't quite see how it's McCall's fault. I am laying the blame at the feet of our coaching staff's recruiting strategy. It's been well documented that we have prioritized defense, specifically the defensive backfield (e.g., putting "athletes" like Henry and Igwebuike at safety). We have targeted receiving recruits like Grant Perry and Jehu Chesson, but we don't have anything to sell but playing time. We don't have a downfield passing game, and now we don't have a short passing game. Why would a top receiving prospect come here?

Our coordinator must be beyond frustrated at the talent that he has and the lack of development from the receivers coach. Of course the receivers coach will say the same thing: I don't have the players.

Based on McCall's past success, I feel confident that he hasn't forgotten how to coach. He just isn't going to take risks that are so low percentage that it would put our defense in a much worse situation than a three and out. I hate the three-and-out drive, but it's better than repeated turnovers. I can't imagine how ugly practice is for McCall. He must be depressed.

My question to McCall haters is this: what should we be doing instead? Throw the ball down field? Our receivers can't get separation and can't catch. Run the zone read? Thorson has not been able to sell the fake. More play action? Our receivers still need to get open and our QB still has to execute a good throw. We have not done that well. We have done nothing well and it really is on the players but at the macro level it's on the recruiting.

Reactions: Palindrome
It's clear that we just don't have the horses to operate the offense properly. The receivers can't get separation because the opposition plays them tight on the line of scrimmage. Opponents aren't respecting our receivers' 'ability' on go routes because our receivers don't have that ability. Why play quarters and off our receivers when we can't go deep? If we do take shots down the field, the receivers can't catch the ball when it's thrown well, which isn't often, either. Our opponents play tight on our receivers and live with it because there's only a slim chance that we'll be completing passes down the field.

A lack of receiving talent means that we have no short passing game and a nonexistent deep passing game.

As for the zone read and option looks so successful with Colter and Mark, Thorson is fast but he doesn't have the wiggle of Ohio State's Barrett or our former QB, Kain Colter. Thorson has straight line speed and does not have the ball skills that Tennessee's Dobbs has. Thorson has fooled no one with ball fakes.

Thorson is especially adept at scrambling when passing plays break down, but you can't build an offense out of broken plays. (Sometimes it feels like entire drives are predicated on that, though.)

We have developed a nice running game, but it's entirely contingent on winning the line of scrimmage because Long and Jackson are not speed guys. They have good vision, strength, and durability, and they don't turn over the ball. When you win the LOS, these guys are brilliant. With our thin offensive line (thin due to mediocre recruiting and injuries), it's difficult to sustain dominance of the LOS with no passing game and no deception with the option game.

That's why we're one dimensional and I don't quite see how it's McCall's fault. I am laying the blame at the feet of our coaching staff's recruiting strategy. It's been well documented that we have prioritized defense, specifically the defensive backfield (e.g., putting "athletes" like Henry and Igwebuike at safety). We have targeted receiving recruits like Grant Perry and Jehu Chesson, but we don't have anything to sell but playing time. We don't have a downfield passing game, and now we don't have a short passing game. Why would a top receiving prospect come here?

Our coordinator must be beyond frustrated at the talent that he has and the lack of development from the receivers coach. Of course the receivers coach will say the same thing: I don't have the players.

Based on McCall's past success, I feel confident that he hasn't forgotten how to coach. He just isn't going to take risks that are so low percentage that it would put our defense in a much worse situation than a three and out. I hate the three-and-out drive, but it's better than repeated turnovers. I can't imagine how ugly practice is for McCall. He must be depressed.

My question to McCall haters is this: what should we be doing instead? Throw the ball down field? Our receivers can't get separation and can't catch. Run the zone read? Thorson has not been able to sell the fake. More play action? Our receivers still need to get open and our QB still has to execute a good throw. We have not done that well. We have done nothing well and it really is on the players but at the macro level it's on the recruiting.
As Turk noted, over the past 24 months, our offense is dead last, #122 in total offense over the past two years. Over that span, McCall had an NFL QB. If our offense could move the ball and function just modestly then I could understand, but we are on embarrassing mode and are the worst. It's not going to get any better next year if we don't do anything.

I just posted something similar, but I think you articulated it better. All excellent points. To expect to develop some sort of dynamic passing game with our current roster is totally unrealistic.

As Turk noted, over the past 24 months, our offense is dead last, #122 in total offense over the past two years. Over that span, McCall had an NFL QB. If our offense could move the ball and function just modestly then I could understand, but we are on embarrassing mode and are the worst. It's not going to get any better next year if we don't do anything.

The NFL QB was hobbled, played behind an awful pass pro OL, and had a quick receiver who dropped balls (T. Jones) and a big receiver with decent hands who had no speed (Prater). We had another guy with good size and some speed (Cam Dickerson), but he also dropped balls. We had nothing else at receiver last year.

This year, it might have been even worse. Our best receiver was probably the walk on, Carr. Christian Jones just didn't have it anymore. Struggled to get open, struggled to hold on to the ball.

I just posted something similar, but I think you articulated it better. All excellent points. To expect to develop some sort of dynamic passing game with our current roster is totally unrealistic.

I haven't seen you post here in a while. Good to read you again.

I don't think any amount of development will help this receiving corps. You have to have some good recruits to coach to even greater heights.

I like the fantasy that Fessler and Green are really good, but we would have seen them this year if they are already so good. I mean, we really had no receivers all year.

McCall has more talent on this offense than any other OC has ever had. Period. Michael, nobody is talking about a dynamic offense or even a hint of a dynamic offense, we are talking about the worst offense, statistically in college football over a 2 year span. People bring up the zone option with Colter in 2012 as a basis for a McCall argument. But people should realize that that offense was the 60th ranked offense in college football, as our defense was ranked higher that year as well. At any rate, the evidence is clear, but Fitz will not fire this guy. Instead Fitz will imput community credit to McCall and the offense in regards to the 10 wins. Absurd but clearly Northwestern.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
The NFL QB was hobbled, played behind an awful pass pro OL, and had a quick receiver who dropped balls (T. Jones) and a big receiver with decent hands who had no speed (Prater). We had another guy with good size and some speed (Cam Dickerson), but he also dropped balls. We had nothing else at receiver last year.

This year, it might have been even worse. Our best receiver was probably the walk on, Carr. Christian Jones just didn't have it anymore. Struggled to get open, struggled to hold on to the ball.
Three years now, terrible offense. THREE YEARS. There is always some excuse and I have never heard that the "game plan" was the problem except from some "crazy" board posters. I'd agree with you if we had at least had a decent offense which we should have been able to do at least two of these three years, but not decent, terrible. Coaching has to be part of this. A team should not, after a 10-2 season against some pretty good teams, show up to their bowl game, unprepared, flat and frankly just lame.

McCall has more talent on this offense than any other OC has ever had. Period. Michael, nobody is talking about a dynamic offense or even a hint of a dynamic offense, we are talking about the worst offense, statistically in college football over a 2 year span. People bring up the zone option with Colter in 2012 as a basis for a McCall argument. But people should realize that that offense was the 60th ranked offense in college football, as our defense was ranked higher that year as well. At any rate, the evidence is clear, but Fitz will not fire this guy. Instead Fitz will imput community credit to McCall and the offense in regards to the 10 wins. Absurd but clearly Northwestern.

That's just not true. At all.

I haven't seen you post here in a while. Good to read you again.

I don't think any amount of development will help this receiving corps. You have to have some good recruits to coach to even greater heights.

I like the fantasy that Fessler and Green are really good, but we would have seen them this year if they are already so good. I mean, we really had no receivers all year.

Thanks! I've had some more down time over the holidays, plus the end of the year is a good time for reflecting on things. I suppose my (optimistic) thinking is that Green and Fessler needed some more time to build their bodies and learn the offense to see the field. Here's hoping.

Wait, what?! We were 34th in total offense and 51st in scoring offense in 2011. In 2012, we were 42nd in scoring and yes 64th in total offense--but 19th in rushing offense. Even in 2012, it was obvious that we didn't have the receivers.

"More talent on this offense" than Autry and Bates (1995)? More than Damien Anderson, Simmons, and Patrick (2000)? More than Kakfa, Brewer, Ebert, Dunsmore, D. Fields, and Stewart (2009)? More than Persa, Ebert, Fields, Stewart, and Dunsmore (2010)? More than Persa, Colter, Ebert, Dunsmore, D. Fields, Lawrence, and C. Jones (2011)? More than Siemian, Colter, Mark, D. Fields, C. Jones, T. Jones, and Lawrence (2012)?

I only went back 20 years, but you want to go back to 1970 with Adamle, Robinson, and Pearson? Or 1962 with Myers, Flatley, Stinson, and Murphy? Or 1959 with Thornton, Burton, and Stock?

We have NOTHING close to that now. We have one guy, Jackson, who is an all-conference type of player. The QB is all potential. The WRs are a mess. The SB is out of eligibility.

We are talented at RB and have good raw talent at QB but at WR, the cupboard is pretty bare. D. Fields, Colter, Prater, Lawrence, Ebert would have been head and shoulders above any wideout on our team this year. Same goes for Lane, Peterman, Brewer, etc., and I'm just covering Fitz's tenure here.

That's just not true. At all.

While I have you, do we really have so little recruiting resources that we can't focus on more than two positions in each class? I mean, it seems like we have devoted a ton of time to the DBs and little to the same caliber of WRs, for example. Is it bad evaluations or what? Is it that Rees is not there to help?

We are talented at RB and have good raw talent at QB but at WR, the cupboard is pretty bare. D. Fields, Colter, Prater, Lawrence, Ebert would have been head and shoulders above any wideout on our team this year. Same goes for Lane, Peterman, Brewer, etc., and I'm just covering Fitz's tenure here.
The coaches recruit. You mean, we forgot how to recruit great WRs? How did that happen? The players didn't do it.
Turk is totally out of his mind. Stupor is a funny guy who knows better. Turk does not know better and does not just come on here to blow off steam.

Turk really believes that we would have beaten Tennessee if only T.J. Green had started the game at QB and Fessler were out there snagging 60-yard bombs.
Actually, given the outcome, that maybe should have been an option. Seriously, we couldn't have done any worse than we did yesterday. I'm sorry, but after a 10-2 season, a loss like that is on the coaches.

Three years now, terrible offense. THREE YEARS. There is always some excuse and I have never heard that the "game plan" was the problem except from some "crazy" board posters. I'd agree with you if we had at least had a decent offense which we should have been able to do at least two of these three years, but not decent, terrible. Coaching has to be part of this. A team should not, after a 10-2 season against some pretty good teams, show up to their bowl game, unprepared, flat and frankly just lame.

How do you coach weak talent at WR to blow past SEC defensive backs? How do you coach guys with bad hands to catch the ball? There is only so much game planning that you can do with such underwhelming personnel.

Our best chance was to run the ball, but we were losing the LOS except for some outside runs and Thorson desperately running for his life on some scrambles. One drive was driven by 30 years of penalties.

Each year in the last three years, the offense has been worse and NOT coincidentally the talent has been worse, both returning and incoming.

The coaches recruit. You mean, we forgot how to recruit great WRs? How did that happen? The players didn't do it.

Actually, given the outcome, that maybe should have been an option. Seriously, we couldn't have done any worse than we did yesterday. I'm sorry, but after a 10-2 season, a loss like that is on the coaches.

My theory is that we had a good talent evaluation system with Walker and Wilson. Then we brought in an outside talent evaluator with NFL chops who is gone now. We also don't have guys like Gocatsgo who learned at his side but did not want to continue in the business.

I think that the no-brainers like Chesson and Perry would not come and we reached on the ones that we signed. That's a systemic evaluation failure.

Realistically speaking, at Northwestern, where almost all players stay 4-5 years and we don't run players off who don't develop, we can't go off on the coaches every time there is a position group where injuries reveal a lack of depth. We put our chips in the RB and DB basket and it cost us at WR. Was the risk worth it? I'd say so. We had the best regular season we've had since 2000, maybe even 1996.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Realistically speaking, at Northwestern, where almost all players stay 4-5 years and we don't run players off who don't develop, we can't go off on the coaches every time there is a position group where injuries reveal a lack of depth. We put our chips in the RB and DB basket and it cost us at WR. Was the risk worth it? I'd say so. We had the best regular season we've had since 2000, maybe even 1996.
This sounds so much like all the criticism 3-4 years ago about Jerry Brown and even Hankiwietz. How did they become so good since then?

How do you coach weak talent at WR to blow past SEC defensive backs? How do you coach guys with bad hands to catch the ball? There is only so much game planning that you can do with such underwhelming personnel.

Our best chance was to run the ball, but we were losing the LOS except for some outside runs and Thorson desperately running for his life on some scrambles. One drive was driven by 30 years of penalties.

Each year in the last three years, the offense has been worse and NOT coincidentally the talent has been worse, both returning and incoming.
That's what I'm concerned about--an offense propelled by penalties for the next 30 years.

How do you get weak talent and bad hands in the first place? If a coach or coaches can't evaluate and recruit the guys they need, then of course this will be a problem, and this in itself is a coaching problem. My point is that it is possible to coach up--coach an average player into a better player. There were SO MANY drops this year, that it doesn't compute that this is bad hands or weak talent--there had to be another factor, an 'x' factor and personally I believe it is that the coaching is not there.

This sounds so much like all the criticism 3-4 years ago about Jerry Brown and even Hankiwietz. How did they become so good since then?
This is going to be the forever reason that we shouldn't change our offensive coaching staff. Don't forget, Fitz fired Colby.

While I have you, do we really have so little recruiting resources that we can't focus on more than two positions in each class? I mean, it seems like we have devoted a ton of time to the DBs and little to the same caliber of WRs, for example. Is it bad evaluations or what? Is it that Rees is not there to help?

That's not really how it works. We have just had a bad string of misses at WR and OL.

How do you coach guys with bad hands to catch the ball?.
Sorry to cherry pick but you absolutely can coach better hands on a receiver. There are multiple drills designed for that specific purpose. There are also ways for coaches to evaluate stronger and weaker catches that each receiver can make and design routes based on that. I am not claiming to be an expert but that is one of the two positions that I played in high school when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

I also remain befuddled why evaluating talent during recruiting could be perceived as not being the responsibility of the position coaches.

Reactions: IGNORE2

All those receivers you named were low rated recruits who came to NU and sat for a couple of years before they were productive. They didn't come here and set the world on fire right away. You could add many more names to the list like Patrick, Herbert, Philmore, Sid Stewart, Rasheed Ward, Zeke M. etc.. The list of lowly rated WRs who were taught to become productive WRs under the previous position coach is endless. Someone taught them how to become productive Big Ten WRs. The one constant with all those players is they had a different position coach that the one we have there now. The other observation I'll make is that some of the WRs that overlapped the previous WR coach and the current one actually regressed during the tail end of their careers. Tony Jones, Rashad Lawrence, Cameron DIckerson, Christian Jones. Don't tell me it's about talent. It is not. It is about coaching and player development. Maybe the previous coach was exceptional but it's clear to me that the current coach is sub par at developing WRs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BFDCat and JournCat
All those receivers you named were low rated recruits who came to NU and sat for a couple of years before they were productive. They didn't come here and set the world on fire right away. You could add many more names to the list like Patrick, Herbert, Philmore, Sid Stewart, Rasheed Ward, Zeke M. etc.. The list of lowly rated WRs who were taught to become productive WRs under the previous position coach is endless. Someone taught them how to become productive Big Ten WRs. The one constant with all those players is they had a different position coach that the one we have there now. The other observation I'll make is that some of the WRs that overlapped the previous WR coach and the current one actually regressed during the tail end of their careers. Tony Jones, Rashad Lawrence, Cameron DIckerson, Christian Jones. Don't tell me it's about talent. It is not. It is about coaching and player development. Maybe the previous coach was exceptional but it's clear to me that the current coach is sub par at developing WRs.

I wouldn't come to the defense of Springer in the same way I have of McCall. However, I will say, I am not sure how well the average fan can judge why our current WRs have been underwhelming. Springer not coaching them well? Injuries? Physical limitations? Sub-par strength training? Sub-par endurance?

We went from consistently turning modestly recruited players into quality Big Ten receivers to multiple years of WRs who can't get open, consistently drop passes, and don't block well. This pattern has manifested itself over multiple seasons. The one main variable that has changed is the position coach. It's just common sense.

Reactions: Sheffielder
That's what I'm concerned about--an offense propelled by penalties for the next 30 years.

How do you get weak talent and bad hands in the first place? If a coach or coaches can't evaluate and recruit the guys they need, then of course this will be a problem, and this in itself is a coaching problem. My point is that it is possible to coach up--coach an average player into a better player. There were SO MANY drops this year, that it doesn't compute that this is bad hands or weak talent--there had to be another factor, an 'x' factor and personally I believe it is that the coaching is not there.

As far as I know, McCall is not responsible for evaluating recruits at the macro level.

I do not think the receivers this year are even average. Christian Jones was not the same player. Cam Dickerson, same thing. Injuries. Carr was a walk on and you can't expect a walk on to tear through an SEC secondary. The other receivers might as well be on the side of a milk carton because they're missing.

This receiver corps is the worst in the Big Ten by a wide margin. You know the lousy teams playing for Illinois and Purdue? Each of them had at least one capable wideout. We did not.

We went from consistently turning modestly recruited players into quality Big Ten receivers to multiple years of WRs who can't get open, consistently drop passes, and don't block well. This pattern has manifested itself over multiple seasons. The one main variable that has changed is the position coach. It's just common sense.

I agree with that. Springer has coached all over the field--even both sides of the ball--but it's questionable that receivers is his area of expertise. He worked with McCall before they were at NU, though, so it stands to reason that McCall is happy with him. If McCall were not happy, then I'm sure Fitzgerald would not be happy.

I wouldn't come to the defense of Springer in the same way I have of McCall. However, I will say, I am not sure how well the average fan can judge why our current WRs have been underwhelming. Springer not coaching them well? Injuries? Physical limitations? Sub-par strength training? Sub-par endurance?

GoCatsGo says our receivers as a group lack talent. That is presumably based on his study of their HS tapes and college performances. The ones who have performed well in the past were injured previously (C. Jones and C. Dickerson) and never were the same.

Wait, so Lawrence regressed? Junior year: 34-321-0 in 13 games vs. senior year: 31-463-1 in 9 games. All of the guys you mentioned, Lawrence included, were injured!

I'm not a Springer apologist, but that's a lousy point. Three of those four guys were not the same after injuries and the fourth guy, Lawrence, played better.

Sorry to cherry pick but you absolutely can coach better hands on a receiver. There are multiple drills designed for that specific purpose. There are also ways for coaches to evaluate stronger and weaker catches that each receiver can make and design routes based on that. I am not claiming to be an expert but that is one of the two positions that I played in high school when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

I also remain befuddled why evaluating talent during recruiting could be perceived as not being the responsibility of the position coaches.

It's my understanding that there are multiple levels of evaluation and coaches are also assigned different areas of responsibility based on geography.

Wait, so Lawrence regressed? Junior year: 34-321-0 in 13 games vs. senior year: 31-463-1 in 9 games. All of the guys you mentioned, Lawrence included, were injured!

I'm not a Springer apologist, but that's a lousy point. Three of those four guys were not the same after injuries and the fourth guy, Lawrence, played better.

That's BS. I know what I saw. Look at Lawrence's stats from freshman year to graduation. Injuries are a bogus excuse as those guys were injured pretty much their whole career. When they suited up early in their career they were productive. Late in their careers they were nightmares. I still vividly remember Tony Jones' first career game against Michigan State. Ironically he had been injured earlier in the year so he did not make his debut until well into his RS freshman year. On his first pass he caught a long TD pass on a post pattern. Contrast that with Jones' senior year. I still remember sitting incredulously in the stands at the Notre Dame game watching him drop two easy TD passes wondering what the hell happened to a kid I thought was going to be a superstar WR. I could go on and on. I don't make these comments lightly because I know a good man's job is at stake but everybody must be held accountable. This cannot be coincidence. I am not one that believes McCall is the problem but if you are telling me that Springer is at NU because McCall wants him there, then McCall should also be held accountable for the lack of production and development. I really don't believe that. If Fitz thinks a change needs to be made with a position coach, he will make it. I hope he doesn't let blind loyalty prevent him from doing what is painfully obvious.

Hmmm...A good coach is like a good general they use what they have to suit their teams needs. Thorson doesn't run the option well, that's for sure! Our receivers are below average at best. So what is it that we do have? Wait for it, wait for it...Ding, ding, ding...A stable of great backs who all bring something to the table. JJ is just a great football player. WML is a powerful back who runs between the tackles well. Anderson is fast and elusive. Vault should never run the ball unless it's a jet sweep etc. once again yesterday he had another carry that was for negative yards. Next year we get Moten who is both big and fast. So as the Marine's would say "adapt and overcome." The thing that McCall has overcome is getting fired and he certainly hasn't overcome anything! He flat out stinks!

Corbi right on and what about Ross Lane? How about Musso? We should see if we could get one of those guys or Ebert or Zeke to coach the receivers. All of those guys knew how to get open and all but Ebert were not fleet of foot!
Yesterday's argument is fundamentally flawed and senseless, McCall needs to go, end of discussion!!!

It's my understanding that there are multiple levels of evaluation and coaches are also assigned different areas of responsibility based on geography.
That scares me. Assuming the statement that the ability of the position coach to develop and train the players is not the issue, That means we have an involved, multi-level recruiting process within our coaching staff and have not been able to recruit a single wide receiver that could be developed into a competent player at that position.

I am sorry but that just does not make sense. Using Occam's Razor, if a single position has regularly the most glaring issues for three successive years, that position coach must be involved in the problem.

Is firing him the answer? I don't know. That is Fitz' job. But to say that three years worth of players at that position have all been injured, sub-standard, etc. just belies common sense.

Hmmm...A good coach is like a good general they use what they have to suit their teams needs. Thorson doesn't run the option well, that's for sure! Our receivers are below average at best. So what is it that we do have? Wait for it, wait for it...Ding, ding, ding...A stable of great backs who all bring something to the table. JJ is just a great football player. WML is a powerful back who runs between the tackles well. Anderson is fast and elusive. Vault should never run the ball unless it's a jet sweep etc. once again yesterday he had another carry that was for negative yards. Next year we get Moten who is both big and fast. So as the Marine's would say "adapt and overcome." The thing that McCall has overcome is getting fired and he certainly hasn't overcome anything! He flat out stinks!

Okay so you're suggesting that we should have run the ball exclusively even though our OL was not winning the LOS consistently. Dong, dong, dong!

Corbi right on and what about Ross Lane? How about Musso? We should see if we could get one of those guys or Ebert or Zeke to coach the receivers. All of those guys knew how to get open and all but Ebert were not fleet of foot!
Yesterday's argument is fundamentally flawed and senseless, McCall needs to go, end of discussion!!!

Not as fundamentally flawed as your suggestion that a great player automatically makes a great coach. Butch Jones "marked" our butts yesterday and he played at Ferris State while Fitzgerald was an All American LB and a Hall of Famer at NU. Yet Fitzgerald's team was completely overwhelmed in all facets. I don't care if a guy was great as a player. I care if he is a great coach, no matter where he originates.

That scares me. Assuming the statement that the ability of the position coach to develop and train the players is not the issue, That means we have an involved, multi-level recruiting process within our coaching staff and have not been able to recruit a single wide receiver that could be developed into a competent player at that position.

Gocatsgo can chime in if and when he wants, but I believe it's sad but true to some extent. Several coaches are to blame for missing out on the top guys, missing the diamonds in the rough, and signing guys who simply did not have the ability to contribute.

I agree with that. Springer has coached all over the field--even both sides of the ball--but it's questionable that receivers is his area of expertise. He worked with McCall before they were at NU, though, so it stands to reason that McCall is happy with him. If McCall were not happy, then I'm sure Fitzgerald would not be happy.
It had been more than a decade since Springer had coached WRs when he arrived at NU. Running backs, special teams, safeties. Not WRs since his first job. Players have not gotten better under him. TJones and Lawrence are the best examples. There shouldve been a way for McHugh to become productive, just given the one circus catch last year.

For the most part, I'll give Springer a pass for CJones, for what it's worth. Injuries got him, though not his hands.

As an aside, it was nice to see Youngblood-Ary get a grab Friday. We sure were excited to get him. "Never have we had so many big, strong, athletic wideouts in this program." (Roughly what we said at this time four or five or six years ago.)

It seems to me that this team is so fundamentally poor catching the ball. A JUGS machine is nice. Jerry Rice caught bricks when he was young. Maybe that'd be allowed.

Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT