ADVERTISEMENT

To Lou Only: What are the speculations out there and different scenarios?

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Lou, hope you and your family are safe.

But you are networked with media, coaches, etc.
My main focus, and maybe other fans, isn't so much who is going to start at QB but if there is going to be a season.

That said, what is some of the speculation on 'what' a season could look like if pressed for time?
I'm assuming this virus will pretty much keep everyone from practicing in any sport until at least October. Obviously, we don't know but I'm sure they have timetable plans on what to do.

Use the OOC schedule for summer practices in September? Play only a Division schedule?

Here goes my speculation, I say that the season is scrapped but maybe there is a window to just play the divisional games. That would be fun, sorta how we did in high school one year with a strike.

Again, I'm guessing that the NCAA is looking at timetable scenarios, what have you heard?
Fans wanna know

My main focus, and maybe other fans, isn't so much who is going to start at QB but if there is going to be a season.

That said, what is some of the speculation on 'what' a season could look like if pressed for time?
I'm assuming this virus will pretty much keep everyone from practicing in any sport until at least October. Obviously, we don't know but I'm sure they have timetable plans on what to do.

Use the OOC schedule for summer practices in September? Play only a Division schedule?

Here goes my speculation, I say that the season is scrapped but maybe there is a window to just play the divisional games. That would be fun, sorta how we did in high school one year with a strike.

Again, I'm guessing that the NCAA is looking at timetable scenarios, what have you heard?
Fans wanna know
I'm glad you asked me and Lou,Turk. I just don't see large crowds going to dinner, movies,much less football in arena type atmospheres. The Coronavirus seems to be able to grow quickly, while attacking,even healthy people. Unless we get a vaccine,which seems impossible, given we don't even have a vaccine for the flu,or common cold. My guess is a very restricted economy, including less pro and college sports games. Way, way too much liability for colleges. Especially, heaven forbid, an athlete dies. I just read a healthy 25 year old health care professional died in California. Plus,a nurse died in New York yesterday. Crazy stuff. I worked in the Emergency Room doing assessments for almost five months. I just switched positions. To me,ER work,is a ticking time bomb, as sick patients , are stationary, huddled together,close to nurses, doctors, therapists,etc. Tantamount to a war zone, type of atmosphere, going forward. With licensening issues,it's not so easy to hire 10,000 more doctors and nurses overnight. Wait and see. But my guess is college and pro sports are shelved unless we get a cure. For liability reasons,alone!

Fans wanna know

Your guess is as good as mine, Turkmenistan. I don’t think ANYONE knows at this point.

I don’t think you can assume anything — especially an October start date. Who knows?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'm glad you asked me and Lou,Turk. I just don't see large crowds going to dinner, movies,much less football in arena type atmospheres. The Coronavirus seems to be able to grow quickly, while attacking,even healthy people. Unless we get a vaccine,which seems impossible, given we don't even have a vaccine for the flu,or common cold. My guess is a very restricted economy, including less pro and college sports games. Way, way too much liability for colleges. Especially, heaven forbid, an athlete dies. I just read a healthy 25 year old health care professional died in California. Plus,a nurse died in New York yesterday. Crazy stuff. I worked in the Emergency Room doing assessments for almost five months. I just switched positions. To me,ER work,is a ticking time bomb, as sick patients , are stationary, huddled together,close to nurses, doctors, therapists,etc. Tantamount to a war zone, type of atmosphere, going forward. With licensening issues,it's not so easy to hire 10,000 more doctors and nurses overnight. Wait and see. But my guess is college and pro sports are shelved unless we get a cure. For liability reasons,alone!
I agree with T. Until there is sure control and obliteration of the spread of this virus, I don't think there is a chance that any sports, profesional or amateur, will continue. The risk is too high for asymptomatic people passing it on to others. And since death IS an option, and no vaccine is in the offing, we will sit on our hands for the forseabkle future. In the meantime we should be supporting our local businesses that are hit the hardest, and order take out, spend for gift cards, and contruibute what we can to areas that support those in need.

I agree with T. Until there is sure control and obliteration of the spread of this virus, I don't think there is a chance that any sports, profesional or amateur, will continue. The risk is too high for asymptomatic people passing it on to others. And since death IS an option, and no vaccine is in the offing, we will sit on our hands for the forseabkle future. In the meantime we should be supporting our local businesses that are hit the hardest, and order take out, spend for gift cards, and contruibute what we can to areas that support those in need.
Well said! Totally agree!

Look at those cruise lines getting sued. There is a liability,both financially and emotionally,that can weigh heavily on one's conscious.

Coaches may be laid off for a season or two.

Fans wanna know

That’s a clown question, bro.

Reactions: Titanium999
Just heard a discussion that talked about the possibility of Spring Practice being held in the Fall and the Season being held in the Spring...March, April and May.........but when you consider only about 60% of states have stay at home orders....gotta wonder what is ahead.

Not to be pedantic here, but there’s lots of collateral damage with the pandemic. Folks who aren’t sick from the virus are badly stressed by job loss, elderly parents, immunocompromised family members, and they need (and are getting) serious anti-anxiety meds. Can’t see sports getting back to anywhere near ‘normal’ this year, with the possible exception of pro golf without galleries.

Last edited:
Not to be pedantic here, but there’s lots of collateral damage with the pandemic. Folks who aren’t sick from the virus are badly stressed by job loss, elderly parents, immunocompromised family members, and they need (and are getting) serious anti-anxiety meds. Can’t see sports getting back to anywhere near ‘normal’ this year, with the possible exception of pro golf without galleries.
Agreed. Can't see it happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT