ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal...No one wants to sit on the bench...

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
With the transfer portal in full gear, here are the truisms for all the teams

1) No one wants to sit on the bench unless you are a freshman and are willing to learn
2) Everyone wants to play for a high profile team
3) No one likes losing
4) If you like the coach and see improvement, you buy in

So everyone every year rethinks their options. It used to be difficult to transfer and you sit out. Huge barrier to transfers.
Now, especially this year everyone thinks, I wonder if the grass is greener and I get a free pass.

NU will get some opportunities with guys wanting to play in the BIG10, but academics will be a barrier. The concern would be losing guys that NU is developing before we get the benefit of their growth and maturity. Tough to build with 1-2 year transfers.

It's definitely going to make the job of some coaches harder. If you're a middle-of-the-road club that can persuade potential transfers they might be the key to putting you over the top, it's one thing. If you're a bottom dweller, it's going to be harder. Not only do you have a tough selling job, but the one or two good players you have might decide to move on.

As I've posted elsewhere, this is happening even at the Division II level. It's great for the top programs who pick up the cream, but it hurts the balance of most leagues and results in a lot of blowout regular season games. One of the great things about the B1G this season was that Nebraska was the only truly horrible team, but I expect they'll be 3-4 hurting next season.

The portal is proof that you need to fill all or close to all your 13 scholarships. And that there's little to no excuse to not do it. Academic standards or not.
It may or may not be proof, but it certainly is a mechanism for bringing in talent that has at least some real game experience. There should be fewer surprises/mistakes than kids recruited right out of high school.

What is the focus of our 2022 Recruiting? Does it depend on what happens in the transfer portal, or is the scholarship timing of transfers and new 2022 players not really competing for the same seats in musical chairs?

What is the focus of our 2022 Recruiting? Does it depend on what happens in the transfer portal, or is the scholarship timing of transfers and new 2022 players not really competing for the same seats in musical chairs?
According to verbal commits, NU has offered 3 guards and a 205-pound “power forward” so far for 2020. Of course there could be other offers out there that haven’t been reported.

I've heard 2022 recruitingnationwide is going to be as slow as a snail. Coaches haven't been able to visit these kids, and the kids haven't been able to visit campuses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT