ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

Catreporter

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2007
Taking a look at the college football landscape, grad transfers who were beaten out elsewhere, especially at big schools, are making a huge impact. We know about Illinois but Tulane and Central Michigan have both had really good seasons led by GRAD TRANSFER QBS, one from Tennessee and the other from LSU. Fortunately, both are out of eligibility before we play them next year, but I think this will be a growing trend. I know our one grad transfer from Oregon didn't work out due to injury but I think this is a viable option for plugging holes. Of course, it's easier to get them if academics don't matter...but...this is a whole new talent pool for coaches to pore over. And it also points to the value of veteran experience at the quarterback position.

Really though, with a plethora of transfer portal options why aren't we utilizing it more effectively. Not just for quarterback but other positions like wide receiver and running back

Reactions: willycat
Really though, with a plethora of transfer portal options why aren't we utilizing it more effectively. Not just for quarterback but other positions like wide receiver and running back
Illinois rocked with transfers

Taking a look at the college football landscape, grad transfers who were beaten out elsewhere, especially at big schools, are making a huge impact. We know about Illinois but Tulane and Central Michigan have both had really good seasons led by GRAD TRANSFER QBS, one from Tennessee and the other from LSU. Fortunately, both are out of eligibility before we play them next year, but I think this will be a growing trend. I know our one grad transfer from Oregon didn't work out due to injury but I think this is a viable option for plugging holes. Of course, it's easier to get them if academics don't matter...but...this is a whole new talent pool for coaches to pore over. And it also points to the value of veteran experience at the quarterback position.
Just think NU has to go the Grad Transfer route and right about now would be a good time for it. As far academics are concerned, these guys have already graduated from college, right?

We have. Multiple times. Hasn’t worked out as well for us.

The big guy who kicked off a few years ago (Luke Otto) was pretty good - 20 touchbacks. Jake Collins was also an excellent get last year.

Also brought in Jalen Brown and Trey Klock, which didn’t work for various reasons.

While not a starter on OL I would say Trey Klock was an appreciable contributor in goal line and jumbo package situations. In my mind getting Trey was definitely a plus to the team.

NU has to jump through hoops with grad transfer's gpa's and undergraduate test scores!!! It doesn't facilitate fast acceptance and henceforth we lose on almost all grad transfers. Applies to bball as well.

NU has to jump through hoops with grad transfer's gpa's and undergraduate test scores!!! It doesn't facilitate fast acceptance and henceforth we lose on almost all grad transfers. Applies to bball as well.
If that's true and they still want to compete in a Power 5 conference, that needs some tweaking. Just doesn't sound right, since these grad transfers , interestingly have graduated from a university and can't imagine what undergraduate tests scores or grades for that matter have to do with it. Oh well!

Great. Let's get Joe Burrow or Justin Fields.
Why?
Neither one will be able to grasp the sophistigated McCall "read and adjust" schemes.

It takes years just to get to where CTs baseline knowledge after 5 years. Smith barely has it figured out after 4 years but he is still light years ahead of Hunter Johnson.

Reactions: IGNORE
Just think NU has to go the Grad Transfer route and right about now would be a good time for it. As far academics are concerned, these guys have already graduated from college, right?
But with NU they likely had to be eligible to come here coming out of HS or we could not touch them even iif they had graduated from somewhere else

Reactions: Rebel_
Recently. Recent transfers haven't really done much at NU for one reason or another.

Collins made a big impact just last year. We should be adding grad transfer kickers, punters, and OL every year. (And last year, we did indeed add Collins and this year it was David.) They are the category most likely to qualify in admissions. I don't know why you think they have had little impact when Collins and David have seen the field an awful lot. We need to add OL and placekickers, though.

Yes, they have gotten a degree from a university, so why do their high school grades matter? Answer is they shouldn't.

But, whether you like it or not, they do. Very much do. Theory being that a college athlete could well have "coasted" to a degree in easy majors/favorable classes, plus considering both high school and college performance paints a more complete picture of the athlete as a student.

Collins made a big impact just last year. We should be adding grad transfer kickers, punters, and OL every year. (And last year, we did indeed add Collins and this year it was David.) They are the category most likely to qualify in admissions. I don't know why you think they have had little impact when Collins and David have seen the field an awful lot. We need to add OL and placekickers, though.

Frankly I forgot about Collins and was thinking more about Jalen Brown and Trey Klock.

Collins was indeed a very important addition last year.

So are the people who know something about this on this board saying that we try to get transfers we just can't get them in? If that's the case then there's nothing to complain about, however if we're not going after the transfer market for several positions of need that's a big mistake

So are the people who know something about this on this board saying that we try to get transfers we just can't get them in? If that's the case then there's nothing to complain about, however if we're not going after the transfer market for several positions of need that's a big mistake
jensberg,
Extremely difficult to get them in. Slow admission process hampers us beyond belief.

Seems to me the attraction of NU for a grad transfer would be getting favorable treatment on admission to an elite grad program. Those schools might cut some slack for a star or a very special need but that isn't a well Fitz could tap very often. Plus the player would need to have a fair amount of academic cred. The good news is if you can find the right candidate a break on admissions is a super recruiting tool.

Yes that has occurred.

Reactions: Rebel_
ADVERTISEMENT