ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Verbal commits changed its layout this year and the latest entries looks harder to read, at least now that there's someone new every 5 minutes.

583 players as of 10:25 am on 03/20

Rowan Brumbaugh is in the portal. Strong Bamisile, Lathon vibes there.
That’s pretty crazy. If he had gone to NU and stayed, he would have had a pretty good shot to take over for Boo and would have contributed this year on a tourney team. He has made a mess of his college career. He’s not playing in the pro’s so 3 schools in 3 years can’t be great from a an educational perspective either. When he decommitted, he should have just said that he wanted to see the country.

Last edited:
I think we want someone with more experience. And he screwed us over so I don’t think Collins is interested.
I get that his decommitment was a poke in the eye for Collins. But the hoops world is changing. So far, not having him hasn't hurt NU, he would have had few minutes behind Boo. We all bemoan the academic requirements NU has, so when someone who can play has been accepted it seems logical to reach out.

I get that his decommitment was a poke in the eye for Collins. But the hoops world is changing. So far, not having him hasn't hurt NU, he would have had few minutes behind Boo. We all bemoan the academic requirements NU has, so when someone who can play has been accepted it seems logical to reach out.
I wouldn't with the way he did it.

Verbal commits changed its layout this year and the latest entries looks harder to read, at least now that there's someone new every 5 minutes.

583 players as of 10:25 am on 03/20

Rowan Brumbaugh is in the portal. Strong Bamisile, Lathon vibes there.
So if we're keeping score, we have NU decommit, Texas redshirt year, Georgetown for one year where he started 20 games. Maybe he thought he was going to be recruited over with a 4-star guard coming in? I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

Aren't we tied to only being able to get graduate transfers or dudes with only 1 year of school?
Incoming undergrad transfers must earn half of their credits at Northwestern to get a degree.

I don't know if it is "more than half" or "at least 50%" of the credits, so I think there's a little wiggle room with sophomores.

Reactions: drewjin
Personally, I prefer his prep school backcourt mate, Avery Brown, from Columbia. Everyone is fleeing the program now that the coach has been fired.

Personally, I prefer his prep school backcourt mate, Avery Brown, from Columbia. Everyone is fleeing the program now that the coach has been fired.
Hopefully we find someone better than both of them. I have not seen Brown play but he shot below 30 percent from 3. I am not sure we will have enough offense next year to have a poor shooting lead guard.

Reactions: drewjin
Incoming undergrad transfers must earn half of their credits at Northwestern to get a degree.

I don't know if it is "more than half" or "at least 50%" of the credits, so I think there's a little wiggle room with sophomores.
I've thought about that a couple of times, because you can interpret it as we could get a dude with 2 years of school. But then our non graduate transfers, Audige and Mullins, had only been in school for 1 year.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
So if we're keeping score, we have NU decommit, Texas redshirt year, Georgetown for one year where he started 20 games. Maybe he thought he was going to be recruited over with a 4-star guard coming in? I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.
Also, he had okay numbers on a terrrrrrible team. NU can get many players better than him.

(Georgetown and DePaul were so bad they kept St John’s and Seton Hall from dancing, right?)

Also, he had okay numbers on a terrrrrrible team. NU can get many players better than him.

(Georgetown and DePaul were so bad they kept St John’s and Seton Hall from dancing, right?)
I watched Rowan play in person against St. Johns. He would have been a really strong option to take over for Boo had he stayed. He can get to the hoop and create his own shot. Collins may still be salty over the decommit and that's fine but Roawan would absolutely help the team next year and get 25+ minutes.

Reactions: NJCat and NUCat320
I watched Rowan play in person against St. Johns. He would have been a really strong option to take over for Boo had he stayed. He can get to the hoop and create his own shot. Collins may still be salty over the decommit and that's fine but Roawan would absolutely help the team next year and get 25+ minutes.
Certainly if he had stayed and next year was his 3rd year in the program he would have been a great option. He would know the system, have improved his defense and spelled Buie this year. And filled in when Berry and Langborg were out. It was a bad decision for everybody.

I just went on the verbalcommits site for the first time this year and there's Mawot Mag of Rutgers, entering the portal 6 minutes ago.

But this guy is worth a phone call... He wore the number "0"

One of Indiana's targets in the transfer portal is Penn guard Clark Slajchert, who averaged 18.0 points and shot 42.2% from the 3-point line as a senior in 2023-24.​

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320

That's all correct. And we need a PG, and we need to get the best possible players we can get. I also saw him play and his ceiling is high. Decision making is fairly poor, but the attributes are there.

But if there's one thing I don't think we should compromise is character. It's not the decommit, it's 2 schools in 2 years, about to be 3 in 3. Unless he has some outstanding reasons for this, I would stay away. Don't compromise on culture.

Dom Martinelli, another well known name in the portal!

I just went on the verbalcommits site for the first time this year and there's Mawot Mag of Rutgers, entering the portal 6 minutes ago.

But this guy is worth a phone call... He wore the number "0"

One of Indiana's targets in the transfer portal is Penn guard Clark Slajchert, who averaged 18.0 points and shot 42.2% from the 3-point line as a senior in 2023-24.​

Cliff Omoruyi is also in the portal.

It does not matter if anyone here wants or does not want him. Only matters if Collins and company feel one way or the other about him

Reactions: Hungry Jack
It does not matter if anyone here wants or does not want him. Only matters if Collins and company feel one way or the other about him
Actually NU admissions may not allow him to transfer in, so Collins may also have no say.

If he has more than 2 years of college credits, he's not getting admitted.
If he hasn't earned good grades at Texas and Georgetown, he might be barred for that reason.

But I agree with Gato - don't bring in guys who have displayed a lack of character. It isn't worth it.
"Character" is something we old people care about.

But I agree with Gato - don't bring in guys who have displayed a lack of character. It isn't worth it.
"Character" is something we old people care about.
So you think Flynn Nagel shouldn't have had a scholarship at NU because he flipped his commitment from Duke to NU on signing day? Did he "lack character"? Or Nick Martinelli, who flipped from Elon?

So you think Flynn Nagel shouldn't have had a scholarship at NU because he flipped his commitment from Duke to NU on signing day? Did he "lack character"? Or Nick Martinelli, who flipped from Elon?
Number of changes is the issue. There are 3 for Brumbaugh: 1) NU to Texas 2) Texas to GT 3) GT to ?

Nagel was one flip. I don’t remember the specifics. Martinelli was one, but it was driven by a coaching change, which all recruits are allowed to do.

Nagel committed to Duke after Fitzgerald told him that his recruiting class was full and there wasn't a scholarship for Nagel. NU was Nagel's first choice. When somebody de-committed, Fitz offered Nagel the open scholarship and he switched. Not ideal, but completely reasonable.

Martinelli committed to Elon before he exploded as a high school senior. Collins had not recruited him, but obviously had worked with his older brother. When Elon fired the coach who recruited Nick to Elon, he decided to look elsewhere. NU got really, really lucky. But in no way does that reflect poorly on Martinelli.

Number of changes is the issue. There are 3 for Brumbaugh: 1) NU to Texas 2) Texas to GT 3) GT to ?

Nagel was one flip. I don’t remember the specifics. Martinelli was one, but it was driven by a coaching change, which all recruits are allowed to do.
Scottie Lindsay could be added as an example.

These are kids, they make mistakes. Would be silly to hold a grudge. But as you say, by now his trajectory is worrisome.

That's all correct. And we need a PG, and we need to get the best possible players we can get. I also saw him play and his ceiling is high. Decision making is fairly poor, but the attributes are there.

But if there's one thing I don't think we should compromise is character. It's not the decommit, it's 2 schools in 2 years, about to be 3 in 3. Unless he has some outstanding reasons for this, I would stay away. Don't compromise on culture.

Dom Martinelli, another well known name in the portal!
Completely - Bringing him in now would make our now-credible story about character and toughness ring hollow. He ran away because he didn't believe we could win, and obviously he didn't see himself as a guy who could change that history. We are defined by Boo's leadership - a decision to stick with NU in the darkest of times and bet on himself (along with his team-mates) to turn the program around. Entertaining Broomberb as a possible transfer flys completely in the face of the culture and character this team has established. That culture - and the hard work that came out of it - is the main reason we have become a winning program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT