Trump tweets video promoting “white power”

Discussion in 'Wildcat Rant Board' started by villox, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:18 AM.

1. villox

villox Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Defend this, those who claim he’s not a racist.

Tweet!

2. thewildcat2011

thewildcat2011 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Fake news! No tweet!

3. NUCat320

NUCat320 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Is this the only one he’s ever deleted?

Covfefe maybe?

Deep down, way deep down, it must be tough for those old f’ers in golf carts to know that their probable final presidential vote is going to Trump. Though they probably hated MLK too.

4. Medill90

Medill90 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I saw John Bolton talk about this and agree with his perspective.

His point to Jake Tapper was, sure, Trump could have seen the "white power" part of the clip and tweeted it out. So, have at it...attack him for that.

However, is is just as likely that Trump never saw the "white power' part. Trump is not focused, not careful, does everything without thinking. So, he saw the still image of the golf cart with the Trump sign and tweeted it out unknowing of the rest of the content.

Bolton clearly meant for this to be an even worse take than the racist take. To wit, he's saying there is nothing this president does in a serious manner. He is manifestly incapable.

Fitz51 and corbi296 like this.
  5. Hungry Jack

Hungry Jack Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Did anyone read the article in The Atlantic about worker for San Diego Gas & Electric who was fired for making the white power sign from his truck?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/stop-firing-innocent/613615/

Turns out the real story is far different from how it was portrayed in the media. The guy was basically railroaded. I hope he can get his job back.

While Trump is beyond redemption, our national campaign against racism might benefit from some discretion.

6. thewildcat2011

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Agreed—we’ve been going after racism entirely too hard and should simmer it down.

7. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Tell that to Emmanuel Cafferty

8. thewildcat2011

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It just be absolutely disheartening and brutalizing to be mistreated for no real reason like that. I wonder if anyone can relate.

9. corbi296

corbi296 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

10. thewildcat2011

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sure, but one is a systemic wrong perpetuated by hundreds of years of blatant discrimination and oppression, and the other is because the asshole company didn’t do (or care to do) an actual investigation or care to stick by their worker because they don’t value their labor highly (a whole other issue).

I hope he gets his job back, or an even better one. I also hope that we don’t stop trying to aggressively fight racism as a society.

Also, to come into this thread with that non-sequitur when we’re talking about the fact that the president literally tweeted in praise of some guy saying “white power” is a whole load of bull caca.

corbi296 likes this.
  11. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I do wonder how many people can relate to getting baited by some amped up justice warrior and then getting fired after a sham investigation by HR.

I guess it’s just collateral damage in the war on racism.

12. corbi296

corbi296 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not nearly as many as those that can relate to being discriminated against because of their skin color. You should be outraged by both but the problems with racism are more pervasive and long lasting.

willycat likes this.
  13. Fitz51

Fitz51 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The answer, as a person with 17 years experience in employment law, is the above.

14. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Never argued with that, nor would I. Just saying that the pursuit of justice has traps. There can be justice without further injustice.

15. thewildcat2011

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well he could have prevented the whole thing by just not getting baited. Where’s the personal responsibility? Maybe we should approach this like a police killing of a person of color. Did he have criminal history? What was he wearing? You know a lot of white supremacists drive trucks—maybe he should have asked for a different car? What was he doing in the neighborhood? Did he “match the description” of known white supremacists? I mean, I think we should wait for all of the facts.

It’s funny, a war on racism is the only type of war certain swaths of the population would oppose.

16. thewildcat2011

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And again, we are just distracting from the fact that the president of the United States in 2020 positively endorsed content with someone screaming “white power”. How is acceptable? How is this not concerning? How can anyone of color feel safe right now?

A man opened fire on protestors in Louisville the other day, killing one and injuring others. No one sees any connection to the rhetoric of leadership and these results? How stupid are we?

17. NUCat320

NUCat320 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The situation is total garbage. The guy shouldn’t have been fired and hopefully he gets his job back. He was literally baited into making the sign on camera over two stoplight interactions. I don’t know what the ‘baiter’ was trying to accomplish, but people are strange.

ALL THAT SAID THE PRESIDENT TWEETED IN SUPPORT OF AN OLD GUY WHO YELLED WHITE POWER WITHIN FIVE SECONDS OF A VIDEO’S START. LIKE, HE SAW WHITE POWER GUY AND CHOSE TO RUN WITH IT. BECAUSE HE’S A WHITE SUPREMACIST.

18. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He will be a white supremecist ex-POTUS soon enough

corbi296 likes this.
  19. DaCat

DaCat Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Trumpo was on the golf course after that infamous retweet and couldn't be reached by his aides for 3 hours. Think of that.

The video remained on the president's Twitter page, where he has 82 million followers, for more than three hours because White House officials couldn't reach him to ask him to delete it, the two officials said. The president was at his golf club in Virginia and had put his phone down, the officials said.

Aides also tried unsuccessfully to reach deputy chief of staff Dan Scavino to ask him to delete the retweet, officials said.
    If a national emergency occurs, I sure hope he can be contacted quicker. Wait, on second thought, it would be better if he wasn't contacted quickly.

NUCat320, stpaulcat and Fitz51 like this.
  20. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have to assume that DOD can reach him a little more reliably than Skippy, the Twitter-monitoring intern on the campaign team. It would be nice to get some immediate clarification on that point.

20 cattul, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:45 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 11:06 PM
  21. Medill90

Medill90 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I see that Chelsea Clinton yesterday said when she needed to talk to her dad she'd go to a pay phone, dial the White House and he'd be on the line in two minutes regardless of where in the world he might be.

DaCat likes this.
  22. DaCat

DaCat Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Though not a national emergency, I would feel better if the President of the United States could be alerted more real time by his staff. But, I guess he has to keep funneling US taxpayer dollars to his failing golf courses on a frequent basis.