ADVERTISEMENT

Turk's Game Analysis and Player Grades

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Mr All Turk: Oliver
It's gotta be tough coming in off the bench but he made the plays and surprised the hell out of me. It wasn't pretty but he got it done. Others under consideration: Jackson, Harris

All Turk Awards: Vitale, Vault, Scanlon, Mitchell [money when game is on the line], Oliver, Long, Christian Jones, AC, Frazier, Walker, Smith, Hall, Harris, Van Hoose, Godwin, Henry, Gibson

Head Coach: Fitz: Grade A
his team showed a no quit attitude. Two 4th quarter comebacks in the big ten is a sign of a very good football team. I didn't prefer him trying to burn the clock for a 45+ yard FG but thank God, Franklin came through for us again and allowed us to run two more plays to cut down 9 more yards for Mitchell. Very disciplined ball, fairly prepared although they struggled against the wildcat. This team makes some bonehead plays and misses opportunities but the bottom line is that they are finishing games, and that's what counts.

Offensive Coordinator: McCall: Grade B
For the second week in a row, the priority was getting the ball to guys who can actually catch the ball, i.e., our superbacks. I'll have to look at the film later but it appeared that he also had a new formation placing Vitale just off tackle and using him to seal a LB, while having another blocker out there as well. Jackson continually ran the same direction where Vitale lined up and had fantastic success with this as Vitale had TREMENDOUS blocking all day long on that edge. He did do a few RB screens as PSU was coming up field but PSU had them covered. I would like McCall to move the pocket as opposed to just bootlegging it. Nonetheless, he had little tendencies and I'm not sure it was ever noticeable what the next play would be as we even kept pushing it downfield with Oliver. That said, McCall is useless at getting Vault the ball, and doesn't seem to know Long is on the team other than a couple plays a game. Long is Jason Wright all over again. A true load with speed. Having him/Vault and Jackson in the game at the same time should be a no brainer. Our offense has been largely ineffective. For that reason, McCall gets a downgrade to a B.

Defensive Coordinator: Grade B
The defensive play calling was too predictable. On the all out blitzes, PSU just dinked RB screens. He knew the wildcat was coming but we really struggled on this. Some zone blitzes were effective, especially with Gibson dropping off.

Special Teams: Grade B+
Kickoff team....very very good. Booming kicks, and also the last squibb was beautiful
Kickoff Return: Excellent. Anytime the opposition has to kick the squibs on all of its kicks giving us the ball past the 25, that's great. Vault is better than Mark on this. 3 KOR in two years? R U KIddn me? How the hell can we get this guy the ball on offense. C'mon McCall!
Punt Return: C Thank God we recovered the muff.
Punt: A Great kicks all day long and WELL PLACED. Field possession was awesome as a result.
FG Unit: C+ I give them an upgrade from a D due to the winning kick but even that kick was a disaster. The longsnapper rolls the ball but Scanlon made a big play for us and got the ball placed. One partial block and two misses.

WR: Grade B
nice catch by AC 'in the morning' and nice catch and run by McHugh for a key first down. Onward Christian Jones had a great game blocking and nice catches. Vitale and G Dick were awesome blocking and catching.

OL: Grade B-
I know some will say that I'm nuts but this OL didn't do the job even though Fitz and others, and the stats would indicate. Most of the yards by Jackson was the work on outside blocking by Vitale and WR's. Olson needs serious work. North still can't snap the ball. And Butler needs to be prepared next time. 3 penalties in 6 plays. C'mon maaaannnn! Frazier did a good job and Mogus as well but Hence and Olson and North had issues. That said, they really were moving the pile on those last few plays and gave Oliver good protection on that 3rd and 14. For finishing that last drive, I give them an upgrade to a B-.

QB: Grade B
Oliver, imo, gave us all he has and more. Grade A. A few inexperienced plays by him but he moved the team on that last drive and moved the team otherwise on occasion with a TD and a run TD. Thankfully, PSU dropped two surefire INT's although they nabbed another. Several overthrown balls but he didn't let it bother him and made the plays when it counted.

THorson: Incomplete. Looked good although it was punt after punt with him. They just never finished a drive. Really proud he went for the sticks and took that big hit although he didn't get the first. Has a hip injury but heard he will be fine next week.

RB: Grade A
very nice blitz pickups, nice runs by Jackson and Long. No fumbles. Very very good.

DL: Grade B
Got a bit gassed and became thoroughly confused on the wildcat. A shame because otherwise I thought they controlled the LOS and shut down a good RB. Ifeadi was faked out of his jock by Hackenburg way too many times. I expect Ifeadi to start making plays. It's what he does so there is no excuse for him to either be a half step away or get faked out by a QB routinely. C'mon Ifeadi, you should have had 5 sacks the last two weeks, bro. Lowry was solid but gave up containment on one long run. I like him on the end as opposed to the DT on the passing downs. Xwas had a solid game and interesting play. Gibson was SOLID. Lancaster very good play. Looked like Robbins got a bit dinged up, dunno. Thompson had nice play.

LB: Grade B
good play bad play. Smith looked good. Walker had some really really nice plays but really struggled mightedly on the wildcat. Almost had a pick 6. Real nice sack at the right time. Hall looked REALLY REALLY good and had a nice read on PSU's 3rd and 1 at the end. Prater had a lower leg injury and didn't play another play after the 3rd play of the game.

DB: Grade A
Except for the trick play that burned Van Hoose for a TD [although he was there to cover, he was out of position] otherwise, these guys locked things down as in BIGTIME. Especially Harris. Harris and Van Hoose both missed INT"s although Van Hoose did have one and a pick 6 opportunity. With Harris back, this defense is awesome. Very good play by Godwin this week other than getting suckered on one outside screen that was really a deep outside route that went for 30 yards. The only other poor play with the safeties was on a 3rd down play when our CB's played the LOS and refused to allow the wr off the los, however a RB did a wheel on the outside along the sidelines for a big gainer. But the bottom line is that this unit deserves an A.

Reactions: Johnnybigcat
From a PSU perspective:

#1 - Penn State looked lifeless and worn out during the first half. I attribute that to being on the road, playing at 11AM (versus NOON), and our lack of depth (lingering effects from the sanctions)

#2 - give the team (and the D especially) some credit for holding NW to a FG in the second half, we seemed to come out on fire and inspired

#3 - the plays that killed our chances of winning (in order) . . .

1) Hack's INT on 3rd and 13 on the NW 33 with 7 minutes to go . . . their d-back made a good read, but Hack floated that ball a little too much. also put that on coaching, I'd run Saquon on the draw and pick up a few more yards and take a shot at the FG

2) gotta agree the Wildcat call on 3rd and 1 at the 15 with 2 min to go was terrible. Hack has been punishing teams on the QB sneak for a yard or 2, shoulda just gone straight up the gut

3) NW pass on 3rd and 15 to keep their drive alive. . . gotta give their coaches credit, but that was a perfectly executed play, a perfect throw by Oliver, and an amazing catch by Carr

4) Justin Jackson's run for 7 yards at the PSU 31 for the first down with 1:06 left . . . I think the kicker whiffs there if NW doesn't get the first down, and with the stop and a TO, even if they make the FG we get Hack running the hurry up offense with 1:00 and 2TOs

so to summarize, that's four BIG PLAYS that all went NW's way. any one of those plays breaks differently, and PSU wins

#4 - also agree the clock management down the stretch was poor, glad Franklin took the blame for that

#5 - this is a young team emerging from sanctions, and they SHOULD HAVE beat the #21 team in the country on the road. Next year, we win that game.

#6 - remember, Hack started 1-10 passing. which means he was 20-30 for 200 yards after that. NW seemed bent on making Hack beat them early by stopping Barkley, and it seemed like PSU could not capitalize on running shorter routes to spread the D. better starts to the game will happen.

and finally, most importantly . . . losing a game is heart breaking. losing your sense of excellence or worth is a tragedy. I hate losing, but I love spending time with my fellow Nittany Lions and rooting on a bunch of fighters. I will always be proud of this program and the young men who chose to come to Penn State and play.

From a PSU perspective:

#1 - Penn State looked lifeless and worn out during the first half. I attribute that to being on the road, playing at 11AM (versus NOON), and our lack of depth (lingering effects from the sanctions)

#2 - give the team (and the D especially) some credit for holding NW to a FG in the second half, we seemed to come out on fire and inspired

#3 - the plays that killed our chances of winning (in order) . . .

1) Hack's INT on 3rd and 13 on the NW 33 with 7 minutes to go . . . their d-back made a good read, but Hack floated that ball a little too much. also put that on coaching, I'd run Saquon on the draw and pick up a few more yards and take a shot at the FG

2) gotta agree the Wildcat call on 3rd and 1 at the 15 with 2 min to go was terrible. Hack has been punishing teams on the QB sneak for a yard or 2, shoulda just gone straight up the gut

3) NW pass on 3rd and 15 to keep their drive alive. . . gotta give their coaches credit, but that was a perfectly executed play, a perfect throw by Oliver, and an amazing catch by Carr

4) Justin Jackson's run for 7 yards at the PSU 31 for the first down with 1:06 left . . . I think the kicker whiffs there if NW doesn't get the first down, and with the stop and a TO, even if they make the FG we get Hack running the hurry up offense with 1:00 and 2TOs

so to summarize, that's four BIG PLAYS that all went NW's way. any one of those plays breaks differently, and PSU wins

#4 - also agree the clock management down the stretch was poor, glad Franklin took the blame for that

#5 - this is a young team emerging from sanctions, and they SHOULD HAVE beat the #21 team in the country on the road. Next year, we win that game.

#6 - remember, Hack started 1-10 passing. which means he was 20-30 for 200 yards after that. NW seemed bent on making Hack beat them early by stopping Barkley, and it seemed like PSU could not capitalize on running shorter routes to spread the D. better starts to the game will happen.

and finally, most importantly . . . losing a game is heart breaking. losing your sense of excellence or worth is a tragedy. I hate losing, but I love spending time with my fellow Nittany Lions and rooting on a bunch of fighters. I will always be proud of this program and the young men who chose to come to Penn State and play.

What the hell?

Turk Salem was the holder on Mitchell's game winning kick not Scanlon. I also agree about both Long and Vault. Warren needs more carries period! I'd much rather see him carry it than Vault. Vault though needs to be more involved in the passing game where his speed in space can be deadly!

Scanlan does not do the holds. It's Salem. He saved the game and the guys on the field recognized what he did.

Turk, Mogus was injured and did not return. Does that change your OL grade at all?

Turk Salem was the holder on Mitchell's game winning kick not Scanlon. I also agree about both Long and Vault. Warren needs more carries period! I'd much rather see him carry it than Vault. Vault though needs to be more involved in the passing game where his speed in space can be deadly!

One of the more depressing things to watch in the 4th quarter was seeing vault lined up in the slot, shifting to the backfield and getting runover trying to block any of the Penn State front 7 coming on a hard rush. Is that really the best we can do against a bring the house rush? If vault is always going to stay at home to block, then why not bring long into the backfield instead.

And why don't we ever have Vault sneak outside the tackle for a quick release, or stay in the slot for a hot read and quick pass? I'm ecstatic that the cats pulled together and everyone stepped up under pressure, but our inability to respond consistently to heavy pressure is one of my biggest concerns with this team.

Mr All Turk: Oliver
It's gotta be tough coming in off the bench but he made the plays and surprised the hell out of me. It wasn't pretty but he got it done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
When Oliver came into the game my first thought was the conversation we had at your homecoming tailgate. I am not surprised that there was surprise. Credit to Oliver for keeping the Good Ship Northwestern afloat.

DSC3196_zpsehtgqmpp.jpg
photo_zpsg4g6n2qa.jpg

Last edited:
To those who can't read or to those who have little to no understanding about context, when I said it was a PSU perspective, that means that it was not mine. Get it?
I merely cited a reference from the PSU board, thinking that our fans wouldn't mind reading what PSU fans are saying.

Turk, Mogus was injured and did not return. Does that change your OL grade at all?
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Mogus was PERSONALLY responsible for 3 seal blocks on the 3 biggest runs of the first half, including Long's, and two Jackson runs. Kindly review the tape. He played with a bum ankle in the first half but I didn't see him in the second half. What's your point? Kindly review my grades and you can see that I acknowledged Mogus as playing pretty good.

S Vault was huge in winning 2 critical games - Duke and PSU with those TD KO returns. Both defining plays. If he could transition mostly to receiver next year we are going need him there. Mitchell now has game winners over ND and PSU - two of the great programs... great memories for him. Also nice to see him get the earlier misses out of his head for the last one. gotta give Fitz some credit for that - his whole team played it out through Q4..

Indeed.

Oh and Turk, we have a player on our team named Justin Jackson. Watch him. He's pretty good
I'm not taking anything away from Jackson, but I think Turk nailed it when he gave Oliver the mr all turk. It's not often when a backup wildcat quarterback leads a fourth quarter comeback. Very impressive. Does anyone know what happened to Thorson? He was walking around on the sidelines like he was fine and even did some short sprinting along the sidelines. I'm assuming he was hungry and wanted to go back in, so it must have been a coaching decision to keep Oliver in. Bummer for Thorson but he has to learn that it isn't a good idea to take on a linebacker head on when going for the first down. Angling either direction for the first down is more appropriate than stopping at the point of impact and lowering the shoulder and head. Who was the wide out who whiffed on the block?

I'm not taking anything away from Jackson, but I think Turk nailed it when he gave Oliver the mr all turk. It's not often when a backup wildcat quarterback leads a fourth quarter comeback. Very impressive. Does anyone know what happened to Thorson? He was walking around on the sidelines like he was fine and even did some short sprinting along the sidelines. I'm assuming he was hungry and wanted to go back in, so it must have been a coaching decision to keep Oliver in. Bummer for Thorson but he has to learn that it isn't a good idea to take on a linebacker head on when going for the first down. Angling either direction for the first down is more appropriate than stopping at the point of impact and lowering the shoulder and head. Who was the wide out who whiffed on the block?
Can't fault some fans for wanting Jackson to get it, but I'm not changing it. Oliver got the job done and was very impressive leading a 4th quarter comeback. That said, I hope they don't have a QB dispute because Thorson was really looking good and imo is much better than Oliver. I'm sure Thorson wanted to go back in but it appeared to me that Fitz made the call to ride out with Oliver. Either that or Thorson couldn't throw off that hip when he planted. He must have been injured on that running play then really felt that hip dig into him when he planted off of it on his last throw.

Turk, this is one of your ABSOLUTELY WORST jobs giving awards. As pointed out elsewhere, ZO's QBR would place him below 125 QBS in the FBS. Extremely poor. Yes, he came cold, but isn't that what all back-up QB's do? For instance, TS had some extremely good outings in relief. Furthermore, ZO is a fifth year Sr. He has had plenty of opportunities to be ready. JJ with almost 200 rushing yards (almost 7 ypc) performed far superior,and was the true reason why NU managed to get the win. But Vault's contribution and score as a KR cannot be underestimated. Either one did much more for this win than ZO or JM.

It is also ridiculous to give an award to a kicker for 'winning' a game, when in fact the VERY SAME kicker in THE VERY SAME GAME missed 7 pts which would have made his 'game winning' kick irrelevant. If a BkB player misses a bunch of easy shots, but makes a desperation shot to win at the buzzer, he gets a Mr. Turk for 'winning it', right? UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.

ZO's "extremely poor" QBR of 21.6 was the third highest QBR Penn State has allowed in 6 Big Ten games this year, beating out Cardale Jones (OSU) Wes Lunt (ILL) and Perry Hills (UMD.) Outside of the game against Temple the highest QBR they have allowed all year was 33.1.

ZO's "extremely poor" QBR of 21.6 was the third highest QBR Penn State has allowed in 6 Big Ten games this year, beating out Cardale Jones (OSU) Wes Lunt (ILL) and Perry Hills (UMD.) Outside of the game against Temple the highest QBR they have allowed all year was 33.1.
Well done, Hazer

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Mogus was PERSONALLY responsible for 3 seal blocks on the 3 biggest runs of the first half, including Long's, and two Jackson runs. Kindly review the tape. He played with a bum ankle in the first half but I didn't see him in the second half. What's your point? Kindly review my grades and you can see that I acknowledged Mogus as playing pretty good.

You gave them a B- despite the fact that they were missing two starters most of the game. You did not note Mogus' injury, so I did not know if you noticed that he missed the entire second half....

There is a board for Baltimore airport?

The Rival's free board is called the BWI board for the name of their website, Blue White Illustrated. My first guess was Baltimore Washington Airport (which, I know, makes no sense) when I first read it as well.

The Rival's free board is called the BWI board for the name of their website, Blue White Illustrated. My first guess was Baltimore Washington Airport (which, I know, makes no sense) when I first read it as well.
Damn! I gotta remenber that sarcasm font.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT