ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Lancaster

WaveJumper

Mar 13, 2002
A lot has been written about Justin Jackson - deservedly so. But there is another senior that deserves a ton of recognition for the job he has done, not only this year, but ever since he's been a Wildcat. I have watched his play with great interest, especially this year, and all my superlatives are about used up. I just can't say enough good things about this superb defensive tackle. He gets double teamed on more than 90% of the opponent's plays. That is one of the reasons why Paddy Fisher and Nate Hall are able to make so many stops. In a way, as a defensive player, he is an obstacle remover for 2nd level of the defense. And, even though double teamed, Lancaster is also in on an inordinate number of tackles especially considering how opposing coaching staffs have schemed him..

His accomplishments in the weight room also speak volumes about his workout ethic. 37 reps at 225 # is more than anybody did at last year's combine (where he richly deserves an invite this year). I really hope he gets a shot at the NFL, and also hope the All B1G voters reward him for his play this year.

Watching him handle himself on post-game interviews leads me to believe he is also a great teammate. The players got it right when they voted him a captain, and awarded him the #1 jersey - so richly deserved.

Thank you Tyler. You were a joy to watch.

In a recent interview, I heard Godwin And Justin asked why Lancaster got the number one jersey, or something like that, and they both just said it was a no-brainer. It just gives us an idea about what his teammates think about him.

A lot has been written about Justin Jackson - deservedly so. But there is another senior that deserves a ton of recognition for the job he has done, not only this year, but ever since he's been a Wildcat. I have watched his play with great interest, especially this year, and all my superlatives are about used up. I just can't say enough good things about this superb defensive tackle. He gets double teamed on more than 90% of the opponent's plays. That is one of the reasons why Paddy Fisher and Nate Hall are able to make so many stops. In a way, as a defensive player, he is an obstacle remover for 2nd level of the defense. And, even though double teamed, Lancaster is also in on an inordinate number of tackles especially considering how opposing coaching staffs have schemed him..

His accomplishments in the weight room also speak volumes about his workout ethic. 37 reps at 225 # is more than anybody did at last year's combine (where he richly deserves an invite this year). I really hope he gets a shot at the NFL, and also hope the All B1G voters reward him for his play this year.

Watching him handle himself on post-game interviews leads me to believe he is also a great teammate. The players got it right when they voted him a captain, and awarded him the #1 jersey - so richly deserved.

Tyler will be. Pro!

He will definitely get an NFL shot. Only question is whether it will be as a DL or OL.

WaveJumper -

You & I have the same perspective on Mr. Lancaster and his value within Doc Hankwitz' concept of funneling the ball to his primary tackling machines, the LBs (Fisher, Hall, Walsh, et-all) & the rover-back/free safety (Igwebuike). The same could be said of Jordan Thompson. Both of these DL are space-eater, wide-body types in the mold of what former Wisky HC Barry Alverez employed to cover a gap & a half and occupy 2 opposing OL. This defensive concept is so very old school, and it's made a resurgence in today's game plans. Like you said, the foundation to the effectiveness of these wide-bodies is their superior strength & stamina. They just wear their opposing blocker down. Lancaster is a joy to watch by the 10th minute of Q2 & Q4, because the opposing OC is so battered & bruised, he doesn't know whether to crap or go blind whenever an A-Gap or B-Gap rush is called that requires the OC's/OG's block as the cornerstone to opening a seam at the LOS. The old Fordham-styled "Blocks of Granite" DL like Lancaster & Thompson who don't get moved out of their space in the LOS simply don't allow these holes to open-up (although the Fordham Blocks were OL, but the gist is the same). He will be missed, for sure. But I'm certain Tyler can take his game to the NFL. Last evening's game showed the same wide-body types used with great effect by Atlanta in their "W" against Seattle. The "Old-Old" is the "New-New."

p.s.: You would have hated sitting in your seats to watch NU's whitewash of the Golden Rodents - cold, very windy and extremely wet... UGH!!!

I believe Tyler will be the guy we will miss the most next year. His strength is off the charts, and he is very athletic moving his 310 pounds around destroying opposing linemen and ball carriers. Wish him the best in the NFL, and hope that we have the next guys ready to step in to fill the huge hole left by him next year.

Reactions: Aging Booster
There was a play vs Minny where Croft flushed right and Tyler came after him. He showed a burst we rarely got to see because he was mostly eating double-teams. I recall a similar play vs Stanford where he made a tackle outside the box on the edge.

He will play in the NFL If he wants to.

His replacement? JT, Saunders and Oxley probably will fill the space-eater role, but I won’t count out Spivak.

Reactions: DaCat

Thanks for writing and I agree. Watching the play where Tyler shoved the Minny center into Croft, then dragged him down by the back of the uniform (and of course flexed after it) is another favorite.

But the best by far for me was the opening minutes of the Stanford game where he ran down (I believe) Owosu near the sideline. He flew on that play...

There was a play vs Minny where Croft flushed right and Tyler came after him. He showed a burst we rarely got to see because he was mostly eating double-teams. I recall a similar play vs Stanford where he made a tackle outside the box on the edge.

His replacement? JT, Saunders and Oxley probably will fill the space-eater role, but I won’t count out Spivak.

Wyatt will pretty clearly be in the DT rotation along with Alex Miller, who should have better size next season after another year in the S&C program and without worrying about playing outside.

Reactions: AlvinMack
Wyatt will pretty clearly be in the DT rotation along with Alex Miller, who should have better size next season after another year in the S&C program and without worrying about playing outside.
Didn’t Wyatt play outside at times this year? I was thinking of guys who specifically might be tasked with trying to control the interior and funnel traffic to Fisher.

Didn’t Wyatt play outside at times this year? I was thinking of guys who specifically might be tasked with trying to control the interior and funnel traffic to Fisher.

He did early on this season, but haven't seen him out there much at all lately. Guessing this is due to the continued emergence of Samdup Miller, who's quietly turning in a VERY good true freshman season.

Wyatt definitely has the size to play inside. Guessing the 2018 DT rotation is a whole lot of Jordan Thompson and a rotating cast of characters next to him.

He did early on this season, but haven't seen him out there much at all lately. Guessing this is due to the continued emergence of Samdup Miller, who's quietly turning in a VERY good true freshman season.

Wyatt definitely has the size to play inside. Guessing the 2018 DT rotation is a whole lot of Jordan Thompson and a rotating cast of characters next to him.
Samdup was amazing. I remember us discussing his tape, which was very exciting back then.

gocats, you raise an interesting point. If I recall correctly, when Lancaster was being recruited, and camped at Illinois, I'm pretty sure it was as an OL - maybe even center.

Waterboy, glad you "enjoyed' my seats.

gocats, you raise an interesting point. If I recall correctly, when Lancaster was being recruited, and camped at Illinois, I'm pretty sure it was as an OL - maybe even center.

Pretty sure NU is the only school to even recruit Lancaster as a DL, which he didn't play much in high school. Stoutly-built, strong, long-armed guys typically end up at OL, but he's sure had a hell of a career on the DL for the Cats.

Coming out of Plainfield East, Lancaster was one of the top rated centers in the nation. Top 5 I believe.

Reactions: DaCat

I do not think anybody will be able to play the role Lancaster did this year. Others, LBs in particular, will have to pick up the slack.That said, the pipeline is hardly dry. I know Spivak played very early, but not much if at all in later games. Was he injured? Did those appearances cost him his shirt? I think he could be a guy to really develop under Marty Long. Earnest Brown was also in and burned his shirt, but seemingly lost playing time to Miller as the year went on. It is really a luxury to have the depth and youth we have at DE, including two highly regarded recruits coming in next year. Some DEs (Kent possibly) are likely to move inside if they can gain the necessary weight and strength. I love how the coaches have taken quick defensive players, put some weight on them, and moved them up a position - corners to safeties, safeties to LBs, DEs to DTs. This improves our speed and quickness on defense.

Reactions: NUCat320
Guessing this is due to the continued emergence of Samdup Miller, who's quietly turning in a VERY good true freshman season.

Samdup was amazing. I remember us discussing his tape, which was very exciting back then.

This DL has exceeded expectations this year. We knew what we would get in the middle with Lanny and Jordan, but the ends have really stepped up, replacing Ifeadi and X. Is Gaz still leading the B1G in sacks? Will Samdup make post-season All-Freshman teams? All-B1G is a given, what about All-American?

Thanks for writing and I agree. Watching the play where Tyler shoved the Minny center into Croft, then dragged him down by the back of the uniform (and of course flexed after it) is another favorite.

But the best by far for me was the opening minutes of the Stanford game where he ran down (I believe) Owosu near the sideline. He flew on that play...
When I saw that play, I knew we were in for a good season.

I think Alex Miller will emerge.

p.s.: You would have hated sitting in your seats to watch NU's whitewash of the Golden Rodents - cold, very windy and extremely wet... UGH!!!

I am shocked! Shocked! Extremely wet?! Aren’t you the Waterboy? Was this not your natural element?

I have been impressed with the play of both of the Millers. It seem to me that as the season has gone on each of them have been increasingly in on a couple of big plays per game.

Rivals had him 6th and 247 had him 7th. Pretty darn good career for a kid whose other offers were MAC schools.

As I recall, Lancaster's recruiting was really taking off because of his performance at a national combine when he verbaled to NU. He was dominant at center going against 4-stars in pass rush drills. He looked really efficient and excellent as a center. Like a Rhinestone Cowboy, offers were coming over the phone when he verbaled.

Lancaster and Thompson are a terrific pair of DT's to watch. Lancaster with his sheer power and Thompson with his excellent leverage do not move an inch off the LOS and usually draw double-teams! I love seeing "Lancaster bowling" where he slams into a group of blockers and the ball carrier trying to cut upfield and they go flying in different directions like bowling pins. I laughed when I saw Lancaster finally get rolled by a TRIPLE-TEAM. The back-ups are good as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT