ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Nubin

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Reposting because this got lost in the "Is Minnesota That Bad?" thread (except for a reply from @CoralSpringsCat, thanks!)

Is there any chance we check back in on how Tyler Nubin is feeling about committing to the Freefalling Fighting Flecks? He would be a heck of an addition to the DB room next year... always felt like he should have been a Cat.

He's the only 2019 NU offer that chose Minnesota. He's from an hour outside of Evanston. We can never have enough DBs. We are on the cusp of winning the West, while the Gophers just fired their defensive coordinator.

I mean... it's no contest.

Reposting because this got lost in the "Is Minnesota That Bad?" thread (except for a reply from @CoralSpringsCat, thanks!)

Is there any chance we check back in on how Tyler Nubin is feeling about committing to the Freefalling Fighting Flecks? He would be a heck of an addition to the DB room next year... always felt like he should have been a Cat.

He's the only 2019 NU offer that chose Minnesota. He's from an hour outside of Evanston. We can never have enough DBs. We are on the cusp of winning the West, while the Gophers just fired their defensive coordinator.

I think that Josh DeBerry, a CB who holds an offer from NU, is still available. 247 has him committing to us, but he has been very quiet for months. If Nubin reconsiders, which DB do we take?

I think that Josh DeBerry, a CB who holds an offer from NU, is still available. 247 has him committing to us, but he has been very quiet for months. If Nubin reconsiders, which DB do we take?

Probably neither. Seem pretty full at DB.

Fitz said last year he loves adding speed and DBs at the end of the class (Example: AJ Hampton and attempting to get DJ Brown). If NUbin decommits and wants to come to NU I don't see how we could turn down a local prospect of his caliber.

You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many CBs.......

Trae Williams -- 1 year left
Rod Campbell -- 2 years left
Alonzo Mayo -- 1 year left
AJ Hampton -- 3 years left (4 if he redshirts this year)
Cameron Ruiz -- 3 years left
Brian Bullock -- 2 years left (possibly 3 if he gets a medical year)
Greg Newsome -- 3 years left (possibly 4 if he redshirts this year)
Roderick Heard -- 4 years left
Cameron Mitchell -- 4 years left

We are not short of bodies at CB.

I'm also not convinced about Nubin as a CB. Good player, but looks like a safety at the B1G level to me, especially in light of his subpar testing numbers.

Fitz said last year he loves adding speed and DBs at the end of the class (Example: AJ Hampton and attempting to get DJ Brown). If NUbin decommits and wants to come to NU I don't see how we could turn down a local prospect of his caliber.

Adding Nubin wouldn't bring a ton of speed to the class. Versatile defensive athlete, but certainly not a burner.

Trae Williams -- 1 year left
Rod Campbell -- 2 years left
Alonzo Mayo -- 1 year left
AJ Hampton -- 3 years left (4 if he redshirts this year)
Cameron Ruiz -- 3 years left
Brian Bullock -- 2 years left (possibly 3 if he gets a medical year)
Greg Newsome -- 3 years left (possibly 4 if he redshirts this year)
Roderick Heard -- 4 years left
Cameron Mitchell -- 4 years left

We are not short of bodies at CB.

I'm also not convinced about Nubin as a CB. Good player, but looks like a safety at the B1G level to me, especially in light of his subpar testing numbers.

How does our Safety depth look? Could we use him there?

How does our Safety depth look? Could we use him there?

Travis Whillock -- 2 more years (3 if he gets a medical year)
JR Pace -- 2 more years
Bryce Jackson -- 3 more years
Austin Hiller -- 3 more years (rumors that he might medically retire, but still on the roster)
Jeremiah McDonald -- 4 more years (assuming he redshirts this year)
Corien Azema -- 4 more years

There's probably more of a fit at safety, but don't NEED to take another guy there either.

Travis Whillock -- 2 more years (3 if he gets a medical year)
JR Pace -- 2 more years
Bryce Jackson -- 3 more years
Austin Hiller -- 3 more years (rumors that he might medically retire, but still on the roster)
Jeremiah McDonald -- 4 more years (assuming he redshirts this year)
Corien Azema -- 4 more years

There's probably more of a fit at safety, but don't NEED to take another guy there either.

So 9 bodies at corner and 5 or 6 at safety? I'm not overly optimistic about Hiller. If he were to indeed retire, I'd think another safety might be in order.

He's probably a safety in college, si?

Some coaches including one who wears a lot of purple believed this.

NU was not in his top 3.

So 9 bodies at corner and 5 or 6 at safety? I'm not overly optimistic about Hiller. If he were to indeed retire, I'd think another safety might be in order.

I actually think Bullock and/or Williams could/should slide over to safety, personally.

Either way that's 14 or 15 DB roster spots, which is about where you want to be unless a guy comes around who's an absolute "best available" take. Not 100% convinced Nubin is that guy.

Seems to me that we are in more of a dire need for rbs? I know a few threads on this board have mentioned that we might fill that need via transfers/gradtransfers. But with Larkin's retirement don't ya'll think we need more help on offense with the running backs? Am I crazy? Maybe a little. But this seems logical.

Seems to me that we are in more of a dire need for rbs? I know a few threads on this board have mentioned that we might fill that need via transfers/gradtransfers. But with Larkin's retirement don't ya'll think we need more help on offense with the running backs? Am I crazy? Maybe a little. But this seems logical.

The staff is definitely looking for a RB this cycle, maybe two.

I actually think Bullock and/or Williams could/should slide over to safety, personally.

Either way that's 14 or 15 DB roster spots, which is about where you want to be unless a guy comes around who's an absolute "best available" take. Not 100% convinced Nubin is that guy.

I think Bullock far more likely to move at this point vs. Williams.

Adding Nubin wouldn't bring a ton of speed to the class. Versatile defensive athlete, but certainly not a burner.
I was talking more about overall team speed. Not position speed. Nubin would likely be a better addition in terms of team speed than a LB or DL.

The wrong Minny verbal from the state of Illinois just decomitted today. Jason Bargy a DE and number 2 player in Illinois has backed off his pledge. Don’t believe NU ever had any interest. Maybe NUbin reconsiders too.
If a young man is drawn to Fleck, I doubt that he would like the coaches at NU. Frankly, it seems hard to believe that young men considering colleges would be impressed by Fleck - at least the guy who appears on BTN each week. On the TV spots, he seems shallow, trite, defensive, and self-focused, totally lacking in humor, and annoyingly assertive of his banal platitudes and sophomoric social commentaries. Hey, admittedly I do not understand the appeal of rap music, graphic novels, or most contemporary movies either. Maybe I just ought to go to pasture and find a cud to chew, but I really do not get this guy. More importantly, I cannot understand how anyone could compare him to Fitz.

ADVERTISEMENT