ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA Basketball Coach Says Move to Big Ten is all About Money

HailToPurple

Jul 11, 2023
It seems the UCLA Basketball coach agrees with what I have been saying here. This is not about benefiting the student athletes. It's all about money for the big guys in charge of the universities.

"The UCLA Bruins are heading to the Big Ten next year as part of a massive wave of conference re-alignment in college athletics, but it doesn’t sound like UCLA men’s basketball head coach Mick Cronin is necessarily a big fan of the move.

During a recent interview with USA Today, Mick Cronin made it clear that he doesn’t think the move to the Big Ten is in the best interest of the actual college athletes. Instead, he thinks the decision was entirely driven by money.

“None of it is in the best interest of the student-athlete, no matter what anybody says,” Cronin said. “It’s in the best interest of more money to cover the bills. That’s it.

“This all happened because of money, that’s just a reality. It’s not all because of football.”

Does anybody think otherwise?

Money is driving everything in college football today.

And to my thinking, that is NOT a good thing.
That's fine. Let college football do whatever it wants. But that shouldn't impact other student athletes.

And the only way to solve the problem is to separate football out into an entirely different organization from the rest of the sports, but still require that the funds from it to go back to the schools to spend anyway they want.

I agree with separating football out into an entirely different organization, yet require funds derived from it go back to the schools.

This would also eleviate the lopsided impact that Title IV has on men's athletic programs. 85 scholarships compares to what?

Does anybody think otherwise?

Money is driving everything in college football today.

And to my thinking, that is NOT a good thing.
I see it as starting with money/influence - then evolving to competitive advantage/influence - and now we have the element of survival. It all sucks. I can see the day when the really big boys convince the 2nd tier programs to break off on their own and do their own thing.

Use to be neighbors and locker buddies at the local golf club with Mick. Great guy. But I guarantee you if UCLA was in Stanford's position today, Mick would be screaming expletives about how the school had hung its student athletes out to dry.

GOUNUII

It seems the UCLA Basketball coach agrees with what I have been saying here. This is not about benefiting the student athletes. It's all about money for the big guys in charge of the universities.

"The UCLA Bruins are heading to the Big Ten next year as part of a massive wave of conference re-alignment in college athletics, but it doesn’t sound like UCLA men’s basketball head coach Mick Cronin is necessarily a big fan of the move.

During a recent interview with USA Today, Mick Cronin made it clear that he doesn’t think the move to the Big Ten is in the best interest of the actual college athletes. Instead, he thinks the decision was entirely driven by money.

“None of it is in the best interest of the student-athlete, no matter what anybody says,” Cronin said. “It’s in the best interest of more money to cover the bills. That’s it.

“This all happened because of money, that’s just a reality. It’s not all because of football.”
In another news, B1G researchers have found that water is still wet.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
In another news, B1G researchers have found that water is still wet.
Whoa, I was gonna do the water is wet thing too. Whoa.

The only thing exciting about the West Coast expansion is the potential for B1G football from noon Eastern to 3am Eastern, because I’m a severely damaged person. I don’t like the westward B1G expansion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT