ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh--Guys out of Spring practice

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Westphal, Kuhar, Lancaster among others.

Also, Sean Mc not ready when spring practice open.

Westphal apparently has had multiple surgeries on multiple body parts. Sounds like he already has accumulated serious mileage.

Sean Mc's situation is worrisome. Big guys with bad feet are a bad thing. Hopefully he can play again.

Kuhar is no surprise at all because he tore his ACL in November 2014. I'm also hoping/thinking McEvilly is more precautionary than anything else -- they know what he can do when healthy and the younger DTs could use the reps at this point.

Lancaster and Westphal are more disappointing because they are exactly the kind of young guys who could use the reps.

And yet in the interview with local reporter Tuesday, Fitzgerald claimed:

"Fitzgerald said he thinks it's the healthiest his team has been going into spring practice in at least a few years, and hopes that makes for a more competitive spring."

I guess that just goes to show how bad injuries have hit NU recently.

Originally posted by NJCat:
And yet in the interview with local reporter Tuesday, Fitzgerald claimed:

"Fitzgerald said he thinks it's the healthiest his team has been going into spring practice in at least a few years, and hopes that makes for a more competitive spring."

I guess that just goes to show how bad injuries have hit NU recently.
There's nothing abnormal about NU's injury situation for the past handful of spring practices. The vast majority of guys sitting out have been due to offseason surgeries that have longer required rehab periods (i.e. shoulders, knees, or hips). These situations are very common across college football.

Lancaster is one that has seemed to had bad luck with injuries since he arrived. I wish him the best. Kuhar, we know, is in healing mode. I didn't like the idea of spending him on punt team last year even though he was a starter on the DL. Didn't make any sense to me. Hopefully, we will not put him on the punt team again.

I disagree. The last two years have had an unusualy amount of orange shirts at spring ball and Kenosha ball. Moreso than NU, or college football, norm.

I don't buy Fitz' excuse, in total, that injuries were a reason for last season, but I can't totally refute it either. As the saying goes, "We got bit by the injury bug....and plenty of it."

This spring, the list seems reasonably within limits.

Originally posted by Turk:
I disagree. The last two years have had an unusualy amount of orange shirts at spring ball and Kenosha ball. Moreso than NU, or college football, norm.

I don't buy Fitz' excuse, in total, that injuries were a reason for last season, but I can't totally refute it either. As the saying goes, "We got bit by the injury bug....and plenty of it."

This spring, the list seems reasonably within limits.
Oh really? Have you actually been to any of the spring practices, either at Northwestern or otherwise? I have. It is very normal to have "the varsity" out either due to rehab or as a precaution both at Northwestern and other schools.

Spring ball is by and large time for the veterans to get healthy and the coaches to get time to work on developing their younger players.

Fall camp is another situation altogether and I agree that we have had WAY too many guys sit out as a precaution. I suspect that this will change significantly come 2015.

I'm not arguing with you GCG. I have no thesis or ideas about the injuries. I believe it is self evident that we are healthier. Fitz also said so. You are free to disagree and your opinion is as valid as mine. have a good day brother!

I was surprised about Westphal since he had red-shirted last year he hasn't played a game in close to a year and a half.
Hopefully it's nothing serious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT