ADVERTISEMENT

UNL buys a W

I don’t think they really needed to add a 12th game. They could’ve played an 11 game schedule. However, adding this game increases their chances of getting to six wins and a bowl game

They had to add a 12th game right?
I don’t think teams are required to have a 12th game by NCAA rules, but they always will opt for that as it’s mathematically easier to get to 6 wins, and thus bowl eligibility, with 12 games than 11.

To be fair, it’s difficult for UNL (or anyone) to find a 12th opponent in season. Plus they don’t want to face the defensive powerhouse Akron without their starting QB. The Zips have been eating B1G offenses alive in the second half this season. :mad:

I’ll be curious to see the result.

I remember in 2001 Northwestern seemed to have bought a W when it scheduled Bowling Green in its bye week to replace the lost game with Navy following the terrorist attacks on September 11.

The problem was that we lost to an Urban Meyer coached BGSU team.

So there is risk, buy the bye, so to speak.

Also bringing in the 12th game revenue. Nebraska has a huge draw and even if they have to pay 1.5 million to bring a team in they will still make money. I'd be curious to see how much a team actually profits off of a home game, and correlate profit with the quality of opponent coming to town. What does the home team of a Michigan-Michigan State game bring in compared to Nebraska and Troy, for example?

As long as Scott Frost doesn't pull a Tim Miles and lose like Miles has to Incarnate Word, Samford, or Gardner Webb...

Also bringing in the 12th game revenue. Nebraska has a huge draw and even if they have to pay 1.5 million to bring a team in they will still make money. I'd be curious to see how much a team actually profits off of a home game, and correlate profit with the quality of opponent coming to town. What does the home team of a Michigan-Michigan State game bring in compared to Nebraska and Troy, for example?
You think? They typically pack in 90,000 for a home game. Assume a weighted average ticket price of $50 (pulling it out of my arse, but maybe conservative), and that is $4.5M in gate revenue. Maybe add $1M for concessions (not sure if they sell beer). There are plenty of shekels to be had on a fall Saturday in Lincoln.

Nebraska must have been looking ahead to Bethune-Cookman today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT