ADVERTISEMENT

Unlike the last time....

Catreporter

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2007
Remembering the year after we made our First Dance....Predictions that our team, returning most of its key players, would be top tier Big Ten with a chance even to make the Final Four (ala Clark Kellogg) only to fall flat on its face. This time it seems, no such expectations from media. CBS Sports picks us 7th and I'm guessing that won't be an outlier. I think we are much better when being underrated, but we shall see.

8th in The Athletic media poll. The writer picked NU 11th with Rutgers and Nebraska ahead of them.

Good luck with that Nebraska pick. I hope Fred Hoiberg comes out of his coma for you.

Remembering the year after we made our First Dance....Predictions that our team, returning most of its key players, would be top tier Big Ten with a chance even to make the Final Four (ala Clark Kellogg) only to fall flat on its face. This time it seems, no such expectations from media. CBS Sports picks us 7th and I'm guessing that won't be an outlier. I think we are much better when being underrated, but we shall see.
I feel like this team should be as good as last years and maybe better. Did the talent in the rest of the B1G improve year over year?

My feeling Boo will be Boo. Nickolson is going to show more improvement and will be a force of nature. Barnhaizer will show the same year over year improvement as last year, which was significant. Berry will reach his potential. The young guys like Martinelli will show growth. The transfers were really talented good fits. And finally, the team defense will improve enough to make up for the loss of Chase.

iirc, the difference between second place and seventh place last year was one more win. Had a couple of games we didn't even play in worked out differently, the Cats would have been much further down the list.

I doubt this year will look like last year, but if it does then 8th place could be part of a five way tie if you follow me.

My feeling Boo will be Boo. Nickolson is going to show more improvement and will be a force of nature. Barnhaizer will show the same year over year improvement as last year, which was significant. Berry will reach his potential. The young guys like Martinelli will show growth. The transfers were really talented good fits. And finally, the team defense will improve enough to make up for the loss of Chase.
If Nicholson improved at all over the break from last year and can stay healthy I think we go dancing again.

iirc, the difference between second place and seventh place last year was one more win. Had a couple of games we didn't even play in worked out differently, the Cats would have been much further down the list.

I doubt this year will look like last year, but if it does then 8th place could be part of a five way tie if you follow me.
CCC said in his presser yesterday that of we had lost our last game, we would have been the 9 seed instead of the 2 seed in the conference tourney. I like us getting picked 7th to 11th so we can play with a chip on our shoulder.

Reactions: EagerFan
You had up until the last sentence claiming our defense will improve to make up for the loss of Chase.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
You had up until the last sentence claiming our defense will improve to make up for the loss of Chase.
What I meant by Team Defense is that if all the members of the squad up their game a little the total combined will be significant. The coach who made it happen is still there, the team has one more year under his tutelage and it's not like Chase leaving means there are only 4 guys on the floor. Chase will be replaced by someone who perhaps ins't as good but won't be a net zero and who knows there may be a sense that everyone wants to put in the effort to pick up that slack.

What I meant by Team Defense is that if all the members of the squad up their game a little the total combined will be significant. The coach who made it happen is still there, the team has one more year under his tutelage and it's not like Chase leaving means there are only 4 guys on the floor. Chase will be replaced by someone who perhaps ins't as good but won't be a net zero and who knows there may be a sense that everyone wants to put in the effort to pick up that slack.
The impact of Chase and Nicholson on last years defense can not be understated. Yes it was a team effort but they were the main two cogs that made the NU defense click. Berry is a very good perimeter defender. Barnhizer defended really well at the 4 as the season went on. It also returns one the two most important pieces defensively in MN. This team is losing an experienced fringe NBA talent. Not only was Audige super talented he was arguably the best perimeter defender in not just the B1G but the nation last year. That’s a huge loss and it will be noticed.

The hope is to improve enough offensively to counter the loss defensively but becoming more consistent as an offense. As well as putting in the work as a team to mitigate the loss of a game breaking defender who was Audige.

He was a player who the opposing offense actually had to game plan around. There aren’t many college basketball perimeter defenders who can claim that. As a ball handler you had to be aware of where Audige is on the court at all times as well run the offense and worry about your defender. He had elite hands, positioning, iq, and athleticism defensively. We are going to miss him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT