ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Likelihood of Northwestern playing BYU in the Phoenix Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Both 247 and Action have Northwestern playing Kansas in the Phoenix Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Assuming that that becomes our destination there is another team that could well be our opponent there if they become bowl eligible tomorrow. That is BYU whose fan base is legion in the closer West and Southwest States to include Arizona. It would basically be a home game for BYU and certainly attractive to a bowl committee seeking to fill seats.

Today Nebraska was eliminated from bowl contention. If Wisconsin can defeat Minnesota tomorrow and Northwestern holds off Illinois the Cats are assured of not going to Detroit with Phoenix becoming the most likely landing spot. Even if Illinois becomes bowl eligible at least two sites (247 and Action) see Northwestern going to Phoenix.

So now returning to the question at hand, what is the likelihood of Northwestern's opponent being BYU?

Standing at 5-6, BYU needs to beat #21 Oklahoma State to get a bowl invite to one of the contracted Big 12 Bowls which include Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix. Last week BYU played #13 Oklahoma with a one score heartbreaking loss at 31-24. If against lesser Oklahoma state they can make up the difference for that one score loss we could well see BYU as our opponent in Phoenix.

Just like the Wildcats are not being predicted by practically anybody to beat Illinois tomorrow, their feline counterpart, the Cougars, are underdogs. One of the betting sites has the Oklahoma Cowboys scoring 37 and the BYU Cougars being held to 17. It is a home game for Oklahoma State where they are 5-1 at home and a road game for BYU which is 1-4 on the road.

So as to whether the Wildcats will be playing the Cougars in Phoenix on December 26th, it looks like it comes down to whether tomorrow is upset Saturday in Champaign and Stillwater.

Both 247 and Action have Northwestern playing Kansas in the Phoenix Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Assuming that that becomes our destination there is another team that could well be our opponent there if they become bowl eligible tomorrow. That is BYU whose fan base is legion in the closer West and Southwest States to include Arizona. It would basically be a home game for BYU and certainly attractive to a bowl committee seeking to fill seats.

Today Nebraska was eliminated from bowl contention. If Wisconsin can defeat Minnesota tomorrow and Northwestern holds off Illinois the Cats are assured of not going to Detroit with Phoenix becoming the most likely landing spot. Even if Illinois becomes bowl eligible at least two sites (247 and Action) see Northwestern going to Phoenix.

So now returning to the question at hand, what is the likelihood of Northwestern's opponent being BYU?

Standing at 5-6, BYU needs to beat #21 Oklahoma State to get a bowl invite to one of the contracted Big 12 Bowls which include Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix. Last week BYU played #13 Oklahoma with a one score heartbreaking loss at 31-24. If against lesser Oklahoma state they can make up the difference for that one score loss we could well see BYU as our opponent in Phoenix.

Just like the Wildcats are not being predicted by practically anybody to beat Illinois tomorrow, their feline counterpart, the Cougars, are underdogs. One of the betting sites has the Oklahoma Cowboys scoring 37 and the BYU Cougars being held to 17. It is a home game for Oklahoma State where they are 5-1 at home and a road game for BYU which is 1-4 on the road.

So as to whether the Wildcats will be playing the Cougars in Phoenix on December 26th, it looks like it comes down to whether tomorrow is upset Saturday in Champaign and Stillwater.
We'll win tomorrow. Coco will be back and that defense will come out like their hair is on fire! And Wisconsin will pulverize Minnesota. We're headed for Phoenix, and so am I.! How about you my old Alaska Pal. (Of course, if there is some sort of chink in the armor, I'll be in Detroit as well.) Some of our Arizona and Michigan friends need to Start thinking about a Purple Party location.

We'll win tomorrow. Coco will be back and that defense will come out like their hair is on fire! And Wisconsin will pulverize Minnesota. We're headed for Phoenix, and so am I.! How about you my old Alaska Pal. (Of course, if there is some sort of chink in the armor, I'll be in Detroit as well.) Some of our Arizona and Michigan friends need to Start thinking about a Purple Party location.
I did locate a direct flight to Phoenix from where I will be on Christmas Day that departs late in the evening that would get me there in the morning on the 26th so definitely possible.

Reactions: No Chores
BYU lost so they will not be in a bowl game. Kansas has a lot of fire power on offense but struggles defensively. I could see the score in a game with them going into the 40's like the Illinois game.

BYU lost so they will not be in a bowl game. Kansas has a lot of fire power on offense but struggles defensively. I could see the score in a game with them going into the 40's like the Illinois game.

Yes, BYU certainly had a chance though being ahead by 18 at halftime and taking it to double overtime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT