ADVERTISEMENT

UW final series injury

FanatiCat

May 29, 2001
Discussion by Rittenberg about the injury to Dillon Johnson. I was questioning running the ball 3x due to risk of turnover or injury. However I agree most teams would run it and not take knees because they couldn’t completely run the clock out. Could also see not wanting to have a backup carry the ball (fumble risk) or run Penix into the line.

However I did think the clock was supposed to restart after the injury, at least picking up where the play clock left off (UW shouldn’t get another full play clock with the time running). It should, if that’s not a rule already.

Also an interesting point raised in the comments that injury stoppage could be an incentive for the defense to hurt someone.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and drewjin
Discussion by Rittenberg about the injury to Dillon Johnson. I was questioning running the ball 3x due to risk of turnover or injury. However I agree most teams would run it and not take knees because they couldn’t completely run the clock out. Could also see not wanting to have a backup carry the ball (fumble risk) or run Penix into the line.

However I did think the clock was supposed to restart after the injury, at least picking up where the play clock left off (UW shouldn’t get another full play clock with the time running). It should, if that’s not a rule already.

Also an interesting point raised in the comments that injury stoppage could be an incentive for the defense to hurt someone.

I believe the injury timeout rule also prevents the offense from *faking* an injury to *stop* the clock.

It’s a shame that the back got hurt. Sometimes football sucks, but he’s gotta get the ball down the stretch like that.

Reactions: IGNORE2
did not understand why they handed the ball off to anyone...would have had Penik get it run sideways for awhile and fall over....3 times and the clock is about 15 seconds and they punt......and then the penalty on the punt...yikes!

Reactions: EagerFan and NVAcat

I agree that the rle should be changed.
Clock should restart if there is an injury and the team on offense is winning.
Prevents the defense from faking an injury and prevents the offense from getting screwed when somebody gets hurt.
Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I agree about the clock restarting when the ball is ready for play.

I watched the play and did not see a mechanism of injury. My negative side wonders if the player saw a chance to be on national TV. If he does not play next week, I will silently apologize.

I agree about the clock restarting when the ball is ready for play.

I watched the play and did not see a mechanism of injury. My negative side wonders if the player saw a chance to be on national TV. If he does not play next week, I will silently apologize.
I'm pretty sure that player got plenty of airtime as he rushed for a couple touchdowns earlier in the game. It was their star running back, wasn't it? If it was a serious enough injury to keep him out of the Championship game, that would be pretty significant.

ON Edit: I looked it up and it was their star running back Dillon Johnson. He apparently has been battling a foot injury dating back to the regular season and he re-aggravated it on the play. He did rush for 2 TDs prior to the injury and his status for next week is uncertain at this point.

Reactions: drewjin
He was struggling with the foot earlier in the game too.

Knowing his injury history (4 season ending injuries at IU), the last thing Kalen D and Grubb, the OC at UW, were going to do was run Penix. The rule needs to be changed.

Reactions: drewjin and Bwm57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT