ADVERTISEMENT

Vic Law

NUera

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Vic Law got called up to the big club for the restart and scored his first NBA point the other night on a FTA. In seven minutes against the Celtics, #23 also grabbed two boards, dished out an assist and nabbed one steal.

Tonight the Magic gave him some decent run in a loss to the Nets. Vic played 25 minutes, scored 4 pts on 2-6 shooting (0-3 3pt), grabbed four rebounds, had an assist and a steal. He also had a turnover and 3 personal fouls, so there’s room for improvement, but his +/- was among the best on the team.

Damn it’s good to see Vic getting a chance to play in The Association. He was a massive part of our NCAA run and is a great example of what happens when you put in the work.

He had a really solid performance and should get a lot of minutes during the Magic’s last game on Thursday.

I’ll be tuning in to see how he does.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Most points (4) in an NBA game by a former NU player since either Evan Eschmeyer in 2003 or, depending on how you qualify a former NU player, Geno Carlisle in 2004. Hearn had 3 points in a 2018 game.

I'll definitely make time to watch the last Magic game. Hopefully Vic can hang around as a 3 and D guy in the League.

Vic Law got called up to the big club for the restart and scored his first NBA point the other night on a FTA. In seven minutes against the Celtics, #23 also grabbed two boards, dished out an assist and nabbed one steal.

Tonight the Magic gave him some decent run in a loss to the Nets. Vic played 25 minutes, scored 4 pts on 2-6 shooting (0-3 3pt), grabbed four rebounds, had an assist and a steal. He also had a turnover and 3 personal fouls, so there’s room for improvement, but his +/- was among the best on the team.

Damn it’s good to see Vic getting a chance to play in The Association. He was a massive part of our NCAA run and is a great example of what happens when you put in the work.

Were you able to find any video on the basket?

Thanks for posting! Nice move and length by Law to get his first NBA FG. Got the Northwestern kudos from the announcers too.

Hooray for Vic! Now he has to settle down and start making his shots.

Very important milestone. CCC now has recruited. Coached. Coached through an injury year. Graduated from NU and helped said player reach the NBA.

I'm bad at interneting so forgive me if I messed these up. They're links to his GLeague team's twitter account.

First Points

First FG
Thanks to you and the original poster for flagging this.

Great news for Vic! It looks like the Magic are locked into the 8 seed right now, so probably giving some younger guys a test run while keeping their starters on light minutes. There's a good chance that Vic gets decent minutes again tonight - 9pm ET against the Pellies in the last game of the "regular season". Will be an important one for him, as I don't want to be pessimistic but I'm guessing he won't get many minutes once the playoffs start (they will play Milwaukee). But a chance to impress the coaches and maybe make progress toward earning a roster spot for next year.

Original poster mentioned the +/- point - he was a +3 in a game they lost by 12, so that's pretty good, though might have been partly garbage time. But his defense was always a strong aspect of his game, so maybe that was part of it.

In any event, I won't be able to watch tonight as I don't have the NBA package, but if anyone does, would appreciate any observations.

Go get em tonight VIC!!

Vic with 10 tonight, first double-digit game for an NU player since Esch had a career-high 12 on 4/17/01.
He also had 4 defensive rebounds, 1 assist, shot 4-8 from the field (1-3 from deep), and went 1-2 from the free throw line.

He only played 21 minutes - had three fouls and one turnover. I hope he earned more time against Milwaukee - would love to see him against Giannis even in a short series.

I bet he’s on former NU alums Daryl Morey’s radar now for Houston - he’s looking like an ideal player for their system.

BTW he is now listed as 6-7 - a great height for a 3-and-D wing in the new NBA. His professional basketball future is much brighter now than before the bubble.

He also had 4 defensive rebounds, 1 assist, shot 4-8 from the field (1-3 from deep), and went 1-2 from the free throw line.

He only played 21 minutes - had three fouls and one turnover. I hope he earned more time against Milwaukee - would love to see him against Giannis even in a short series.

I bet he’s on former NU alums Daryl Morey’s radar now for Houston - he’s looking like an ideal player for their system.

BTW he is now listed as 6-7 - a great height for a 3-and-D wing in the new NBA. His professional basketball future is much brighter now than before the bubble.
Nice body of work by Vic! I remember when Collins recruited him to NU, he described Vic Law as a player that would stuff the stat sheet, meaning he would contribute in all phases of the game.

Looking at the box score, I noticed Jahlil Okafor played for the Pelicans. He was a 5-star Duke one-and-done, and was dominant in his one year in college. Though they play different positions, Vic compared favorably against him, playing 21 minutes vs 17 for Okafor, scoring 10 pts vs 8.

Hopefully Vic opened some eyes with his stellar performance in, what, his second NBA game?

Nice body of work by Vic! I remember when Collins recruited him to NU, he described Vic Law as a player that would stuff the stat sheet, meaning he would contribute in all phases of the game.

Looking at the box score, I noticed Jahlil Okafor played for the Pelicans. He was a 5-star Duke one-and-done, and was dominant in his one year in college. Though they play different positions, Vic compared favorably against him, playing 21 minutes vs 17 for Okafor, scoring 10 pts vs 8.

Hopefully Vic opened some eyes with his stellar performance in, what, his second NBA game?

This was the 8th NBA game he's appeared in. He played over 20 minutes in each of the last two games, about 7 minutes the game before that, and 'a few' minutes in his first 5 games.

I think I get every sports channel except, as I learned yesterday, Fox Sports Florida, so I wasn't able to watch the game. I don't think either of the last two games had any bearing on the Magic's playoff seed. I assume they used those games to see what they had with VL and, based solely on box scores, he did alright. I wonder if he'll go back to getting few, if any, minutes in the playoffs or if they were impressed enough to keep playing him.

Reactions: DaCat
I watched the highlights from yesterday's game and have seen some of his G-League highlights. He was a great defender in college, a great rebounder for his position and a good (if streaky) shooter. I thought his biggest weakness was his inability to finish at the basket. He got his shot blocked a lot for a guy who was a very good athlete in college. He has really improved on that part of his game based on what I have seen. I am sure he has worked really hard. He is much more confident taking players to the rim and figuring out how to finish without trying to dunk over them. If he had the same confidence and moves in college, he would have been first or second team all-conference.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I watched the highlights from yesterday's game and have seen some of his G-League highlights. He was a great defender in college, a great rebounder for his position and a good (if streaky) shooter. I thought his biggest weakness was his inability to finish at the basket. He got his shot blocked a lot for a guy who was a very good athlete in college. He has really improved on that part of his game based on what I have seen. I am sure he has worked really hard. He is much more confident taking players to the rim and figuring out how to finish without trying to dunk over them. If he had the same confidence and moves in college, he would have been first or second team all-conference.

Yup. IIRC, he only finished with a dunk or some sort of twisting running jump shot that would get blocked in college. IMO, he lacked things such as right and left-handed hook shots in his "to-the-rim repertoire". I haven't seen him play in the NBA so I don't know what he's added to his game, though.

Yup. IIRC, he only finished with a dunk or some sort of twisting running jump shot that would get blocked in college. IMO, he lacked things such as right and left-handed hook shots in his "to-the-rim repertoire". I haven't seen him play in the NBA so I don't know what he's added to his game, though.
From my fairly limited review, he is much better at initiating contact and finishing rather than trying to shoot around people. He had a nice drive yesterday where he just went into the body of the defender at the rim and stepped back for an uncontested shot. I. Brown was actually great at drawing contact for a guy his size. I was hoping Vic would learn some of his moves. It looks like it just took him a little longer than I hoped to figure it out but I am really happy for him.

Reactions: NUCat320
Vic Law’s next game is Tuesday on TNT at 1:30PM EST.

His 8th seeded Magic will play the 1 seed Bucks. The Magic have been decimated by injuries so he may get some real minutes in this series after really positive performances in the last two.

The Bucks play a bunch of shooters around Giannis, so his perimeter defense will come in handy.

The Magic will likely get swept, but I’ll watch as much as I can to cheer him on.

From my fairly limited review, he is much better at initiating contact and finishing rather than trying to shoot around people. He had a nice drive yesterday where he just went into the body of the defender at the rim and stepped back for an uncontested shot. I. Brown was actually great at drawing contact for a guy his size. I was hoping Vic would learn some of his moves. It looks like it just took him a little longer than I hoped to figure it out but I am really happy for him.

He was really good in the G League this year, almost a 50/40/90 guy (.497/.403/.894) and averaged 19.7 points and 8.3(!) rebounds. Shot a good percentage everywhere on the floor, but didn't get to the line that much (only 1.4 FTA per game) so it seems like he's still not one to attack and sticks to 3s, pull-up 2s and some easy ones at the rim. Good news is in the NBA, he won't need to attack, he can get a chance if he can play D and shoot 38-40% from 3.

No minutes for Law in the first half, but the Magic are playing well and up 10.

He was really good in the G League this year, almost a 50/40/90 guy (.497/.403/.894) and averaged 19.7 points and 8.3(!) rebounds. Shot a good percentage everywhere on the floor, but didn't get to the line that much (only 1.4 FTA per game) so it seems like he's still not one to attack and sticks to 3s, pull-up 2s and some easy ones at the rim. Good news is in the NBA, he won't need to attack, he can get a chance if he can play D and shoot 38-40% from 3.

I think I saw where he was 3rd team all G League. As a rookie, that’s pretty solid.

No minutes for Law in the first half, but the Magic are playing well and up 10.
The Magic’s perimeter starters were all activated for the playoffs. Their front court still has some injured players but played really well in their upset over the Bucks.

Hopefully Vic still gets some minutes. 9 players played today so I think he’s their 10th man.

The Magic’s perimeter starters were all activated for the playoffs. Their front court still has some injured players but played really well in their upset over the Bucks.

Hopefully Vic still gets some minutes. 9 players played today so I think he’s their 10th man.
Yeah - he played more minutes at the end of the "regular season" because they were locked into the 8th seed so testing out younger players / managing minutes for starters. I think it's unlikely he will play much in playoffs, but maybe can get in for a few minutes if something weird happens.

Just hope he played well enough to improve his odds of a roster spot next year.

Just being on the playoff roster and getting to practice more against elite players is a real boost to Vic. And getting an NBA salary in this pandemic economy is a good thing. Can't see the Magic winning that series but they won't be swept!

Vic got some late run in the blowout loss today. In four minutes, he took one shot and splashed it (a 3-pointer), grabbed two boards and had a nice one-handed bounce pass off the dribble for an assist (it set up a 3). Had a similar one on a drive to the basket that set up a floater for his teammate, but the dude bricked it.

It's probably not going to be enough to earn time this series, but he's showing teams that he's comfortable out there and that his talent deserves to be developed.

Vic got some late run in the blowout loss today. In four minutes, he took one shot and splashed it (a 3-pointer), grabbed two boards and had a nice one-handed bounce pass off the dribble for an assist (it set up a 3). Had a similar one on a drive to the basket that set up a floater for his teammate, but the dude bricked it.

It's probably not going to be enough to earn time this series, but he's showing teams that he's comfortable out there and that his talent deserves to be developed.
Is he the first NU player to score points in a playoff game?

No. I don't know who the first would be but Evan Eschmeyer had 6 pts in 2003 playoffs.

Is he the first NU player to score points in a playoff game?

Not even close. A good guess would be Billy McKinney, who went to the postseason 4 times in his NBA career and scored a plenty. For example, in game 1 of the Nuggets '83 playoffs, he dropped 24 on the Suns. But it was actually the late, great Max Morris, who starred at NU on both the gridiron and the hardwood. Morris was a two-sport All-American at NU who played one season for the Sheboygan Redskins of the newly formed NBA as a 6'2" F/C (lol). He averaged about 12 ppg in a losing series against the Indianapolis Olympians (10, 16, and 17 pt performances).

You can read Morris' Wikipedia entry here.

BONUS FACT: The earliest NU alum to score in a pro basketball playoff game, as far as I can tell, was a guy named Ben Schadler, who scored 2 pts for the Chicago Stags of the BAA in Game 2 of their series against the Boston Celtics in the '47-48 season. I think it was his only season of pro ball. After the following season, Basketball Association of America merged with the National Basketball League to form the NBA.

However, Max Morris played for the Chicago American Gears of the NBL a season earlier, so it's possible he might have scored the first pro playoff points, in addition to the first NBA playoff points.

One more fun fact: Although imo Billy McKinney is by far the best basketball player we've ever produced, the award for "Most points scored in a single playoff game by an NU alum" actually goes to... Willie "The Bird" Jones, a 6-3 PG who scored 27 pts (13-26 FG, 1-1 FT) in Game 5 of the Pistons/Lakers series on Mar 31, 1962. The great Elgin Baylor led all scorers, dropping 37 for the Lakers. He averaged 38 ppg that season.

Jones played on some damn good NU hoops squads in the late '50s, including the '59 squad, whom some call the best lineup NU has ever put together. Jerry West reportedly called it the best team he ever played against.

Reactions: DaCat and NJCat
Jones played on some damn good NU hoops squads in the late '50s, including the '59 squad, whom some call the best lineup NU has ever put together. Jerry West reportedly called it the best team he ever played against.
NU beat West's WVA team 118-109 in double OT that year. The game was played before 12,775 in the old (dump) Chicago Stadium. West fouled out in the second half scoring just 17 points.

Here is a great story about that team, which I hadn't heard about until NUera posted:

NU beat West's WVA team 118-109 in double OT that year. The game was played before 12,775 in the old (dump) Chicago Stadium. West fouled out in the second half scoring just 17 points.

Here is a great story about that team, which I hadn't heard about until NUera posted:

The Rucklick, Mantis , Warren and Willie the Bird Jones were by far the best NU team of recent memory. saw that win vs. W.Virginia and the near up set of Kansas and Chamberlain.

ADVERTISEMENT