ADVERTISEMENT

Vic

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
247 has him as the second best SF in the B1G. Nice to see him getting some preseason love.

The highest-rated recruit in Northwestern history is now a senior and with Bryant McIntosh and Scottie Lindsey gone he’ll finally get a chance to become a primary option. Nearly half of Law’s attempts were spot-ups or came off screens last year, but the Chicago native should be able to showcase his pick-and-roll ability (95th percentile) and off-the-dribble shooting (82nd percentile) more in his final year with the Wildcats. Law needs to get stronger and finish better around the basket (39th percentile) to reach his full potential.

https://247sports.com/college/north...Small-Forward-Rankings-118957312/#118957312_2

I think he spent a fair amount of time on offense last year being gassed given his defensive work and his health issue, which apparently has been remedied. If he is able to somehow exert more energy, I think a big advance in his offensive game is possible. The physical talents are there.

Reactions: NJCat
Vic has a chance to become Collins' first draft pick. No player type is in higher demand than a 3-and-D forward with length and speed. Hopefully having a volume scorer like Taylor will free Vic to focus on the strongest parts of his game.

Those stats are really interesting. I’ve only thought of him as a shooter because, apparently, I’m very bad at watching basketball.

With Vic, the consummate team player, it’s assertiveness that matters most. He has to want to score 18-22 points, rather than wanting to pick his spots and fit in.

Mc was such a ball dominant player, rightfully and by design, but this season could be a great one for Vic, especially with a lack of backcourt experience.

Those stats are really interesting. I’ve only thought of him as a shooter because, apparently, I’m very bad at watching basketball.

With Vic, the consummate team player, it’s assertiveness that matters most. He has to want to score 18-22 points, rather than wanting to pick his spots and fit in.

Mc was such a ball dominant player, rightfully and by design, but this season could be a great one for Vic, especially with a lack of backcourt experience.
If I find some video I'll edit it and link in, but I agree with assertiveness being a "needs improvement" along with more consistent play. He has shown when he starts to get heated up the ability to take on a defender off the dribble. I remember him after hitting one or two threes catching on the right side of the 3 point line making a move getting by his man then stepping back away from a help defender and hitting a midrange basket. That was a great great move did everything perfectly. I wanna find the video if I could only remember the opponent...

Vic has a chance to become Collins' first draft pick. No player type is in higher demand than a 3-and-D forward with length and speed. Hopefully having a volume scorer like Taylor will free Vic to focus on the strongest parts of his game.
Hopefully you are right but I would guess he would have to have a monster Sr season to get a sniff at being drafted. While he can likely defend 2s and 3s, he would likely have to have a much more consistent shot to get drafted.

Hopefully you are right but I would guess he would have to have a monster Sr season to get a sniff at being drafted. While he can likely defend 2s and 3s, he would likely have to have a much more consistent shot to get drafted.

I don't disagree with your premise that he'll need to show more next year. I think his three point shooting has been decent and consistent...but would be good to get that above 40 percent. Would like to see more strength when his drives to the basket are contested.

Vic’s biggest weakness is his ballhandling skills in traffic (driving to the basket, etc). It’s the one thing holding him back. That must improve or his overall game will remain where it’s been the last few years.

Vic’s biggest weakness is his ballhandling skills in traffic (driving to the basket, etc). It’s the one thing holding him back. That must improve or his overall game will remain where it’s been the last few years.
An even bigger weakness from an NBA perspective is his age. He'll have to absolutely shine next year to get drafted.

Reactions: NUCat320
An even bigger weakness from an NBA perspective is his age. He'll have to absolutely shine next year to get drafted.

I don't disagree.

What he has going for him...

Next level quickness and jumping ability.

Next level defender.

Very good three point shooter. (With more strength/confidence, could move that to elite...but that'll take some time)

From the outside, he looks like a guy you'd absolutely want on your team and locker room. When, in the last four years, have we seen Vic take a play off. The young man has one of the best attitudes I've ever seen. He quietly goes balls to the wall every second he's on the floor.

I don't disagree.

Next level defender.

Very good three point shooter. (With more strength/confidence, could move that to elite...but that'll take some time)

From the outside, he looks like a guy you'd absolutely want on your team and locker room. When, in the last four years, have we seen Vic take a play off. The young man has one of the best attitudes I've ever seen. He quietly goes balls to the wall every second he's on the floor.
Agreed I just don't see him drafted unless he has a phenomenal year. Although making a nba roster is totally in the realm of possibility. I believe that is even likely with improvements to offensive consistency.

Mikal Bridges and Kevin Huerter are both going to go in the first round this year. Vic may not be as good as either of them now, but he’s not that far away.

His defense is elite, he just needs more consistency with his 3 point shot.

From a draft perspective, it'll be interesting to see what he measures in terms of wingspan. I'll bet if he registers a 7 foot wingspan, he'll get drafted, outside of that he'll need to prove he can score more consistently to have a shot.

Here’s an article I enjoyed from last year about the college-to-Europe-to-NBA-role-player career path.

If Vic makes an nba roster, I think we’ll hear about it in 3-5 years.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/...aniel-theis-spurs-celtics-role-players-europe
I don't disagree.

Next level defender.

At 38% in college (both career, and last year) for a wing I would say he is a respectable 3 point shooter. Keep in mind the NBA line is deeper, you should be >40% in college to be a plus 3 pt shooter in NBA. I think he is a very good defender of other wings and guards, he may need to bulk up enough to be versatile enough to switch onto some bigger players, which he would need to do in order to be a “next level” or “elite” defender.

I think it’s conceivable he could do it and become a late draft pick, but he would have to make improvements in each of 3 pt shooting, scoring off the dribble, and strength to match cup against bigger guys. Or else larger improvements in 1-2 of those areas I guess.

Prove me and everyone else wrong Vic!!!

Last edited:
At 38% in college (both career, and last year) for a wing I would say he is a respectable 3 point shooter. I think he is a very good defender of other wings and guards, he may need to bulk up enough to be versatile enough to switch onto some bigger players, which he would need to do in order to be a “next level” or “elite” defender.

I think it’s conceivable he could do it and become a late draft pick, but he would have to make improvements in each of 3 pt shooting, scoring off the dribble, and strength to match cup against bigger guys. Or else larger improvements in 1-2 of those areas I guess.

Prove me and everyone else wrong Vic!!!
I love Vic.

Vic hasn't shown that he is an NBA draft pick yet. I hope he elevates his game this season.

I love Vic Law but he has a ways to go before hitting the draft radar. He currently needs to be a much more consistent shooter and better ball handler. He struggles to create his own shot off the dribble and does not take it strong enough to the hole. I am hoping that his senior year is his best year and he gets a fair tryout with a NBA team.

Nice to see that Vic graduated on schedule, along with Scottie, BMac and Skelly.
Well done to the first Collins class!!!!

DgTUCVJV4AAyr7x.jpg

Nice to see that Vic graduated on schedule, along with Scottie, BMac and Skelly.
Well done to the first Collins class!!!!

DgTUCVJV4AAyr7x.jpg

Good to see that they still have my major (though they would have changed it to a different name by now)-- way to go Scottie!

ADVERTISEMENT