ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball

Catdude

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
After a good start to the season, the volleyball team is in the midst of a six-game losing streak. We took #4 Nebraska to a fifth set but lost that match and have imploded since. I think we were considered a tournament team before the losing streak.

I’ve never understood why the volleyball team is not consistently good because this is a sport in which academics should be an asset, not a limitation, in recruiting. Shane Davis seemed like an incredible hire at the time but this is his seventh season and the program is still below average in the Big 10.

After a good start to the season, the volleyball team is in the midst of a six-game losing streak. We took #4 Nebraska to a fifth set but lost that match and have imploded since. I think we were considered a tournament team before the losing streak.

I’ve never understood why the volleyball team is not consistently good because this is a sport in which academics should be an asset, not a limitation, in recruiting. Shane Davis seemed like an incredible hire at the time but this is his seventh season and the program is still below average in the Big 10.
True, but below average in the Big Ten means you might still be a top 25 team. Losing twice to MSU was the real killer. If NU won at least one of those matches they would probably be in the NCAAs, and if they they had won both they would have been a lock for the NCAAs. I have played competitive VB for 50 years, and my one takeaway is that it is a very mental game. Individuals and teams go through streaks all the time. The best players and teams are the ones who can keep the bad streaks short.

True, but below average in the Big Ten means you might still be a top 25 team. Losing twice to MSU was the real killer. If NU won at least one of those matches they would probably be in the NCAAs, and if they they had won both they would have been a lock for the NCAAs. I have played competitive VB for 50 years, and my one takeaway is that it is a very mental game. Individuals and teams go through streaks all the time. The best players and teams are the ones who can keep the bad streaks short.
Wow 50 years

They look so good most of the time. I just hope those losses to MSU don’t keep them out of the NCAAs.

The two MSU losses did them in. The Cats beat four tournament teams this year, but lose twice to one f the worst teams in the conference (but in MSU’s defense, there are probably 15-20 conferences that they would have won this year).

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
InsideNU reported that Temi is leaving as a grad transfer. Including her, we lose a bunch of seniors so it seems likely that next year will be a step back.

Davis had his best team and season this year but we were still only 7-13 in the Big 10 (which is by far the best conference in the country).

InsideNU reported that Temi is leaving as a grad transfer. Including her, we lose a bunch of seniors so it seems likely that next year will be a step back.

Davis had his best team and season this year but we were still only 7-13 in the Big 10 (which is by far the best conference in the country).

Yes…very disappointing to read. Losing Thomas, Lesiak and Becker as grad transfers hurts. Would have been nice to see them run it back one more year. Makes me appreciate the returning members of our softball team that much more.

Reactions: No Chores
Yes…very disappointing to read. Losing Thomas, Lesiak and Becker as grad transfers hurts. Would have been nice to see them run it back one more year. Makes me appreciate the returning members of our softball team that much more.
Despite the Big 10 being so tough, women’s volleyball seems like a sport we should be better at. Davis has been at NU seven years and we’ve improved a little each year since he arrived but still not that close to an NCAA tournament bid. And now we’re losing our best players.
Using an NU cross-sports comparison, it is starting to feel like the Carmody era.

Despite the Big 10 being so tough, women’s volleyball seems like a sport we should be better at. Davis has been at NU seven years and we’ve improved a little each year since he arrived but still not that close to an NCAA tournament bid. And now we’re losing our best players.
Using an NU cross-sports comparison, it is starting to feel like the Carmody era.

So difficult to compete in the B1G. I really thought this was going to be the breakthrough year. These transfers sting. Would have been nice to see them return like our softball team did.

Would have been nice to see them return like our softball team did.
I think it's a little unfair to compare VB to SB. The SB team had a run for the ages, making the World Series. VB had the best season for NU in many years but still failed to make the post season. Hard for the VB players to pass up the opportunity to play a final year for a top program. SB already is a top program.

I think it's a little unfair to compare VB to SB. The SB team had a run for the ages, making the World Series. VB had the best season for NU in many years but still failed to make the post season. Hard for the VB players to pass up the opportunity to play a final year for a top program. SB already is a top program.
And speaking of softball, the 2023 schedule was released today. NU will get a rematch with Oklahoma....

Temi Thomas transfers to Wisconsin. 🤮

Reactions: Badger1Bob
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT