ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern cornerback over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern cornerback over the last 25 years?

• Chris Martin

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Harold Blackmon

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Sherrick McManis

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Nick VanHoose

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Montre Hartage

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
We've got five players vying for the title of best cornerback over the last 25 years. You know the drill:

First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern cornerback over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best CB over the last quarter century.

We posted this a day late this week (because of all of the Big Ten news this week), so we're extending the poll until Monday at noon.

Hudifi Ismaeli? sorry if totally mispelled.
or matt harris. Mabin and backes werent bad.
Covington had the best fumble recovery. Backes best reception.
ward had 1 great year as well.
cant vote for blackmon as i see david terrell nightmare.
mcmanis was the best on that list.

McManis and VanHoose were both at a different level. I loved watching VanHoose hit like a linebacker. Two star kids, both.

Reactions: No Chores
McManis and VanHoose were both at a different level. I loved watching VanHoose hit like a linebacker. Two star kids, both.

VanHoose was a two-star. He originally committed to Indiana, then NU flipped him once IU fired Bill Lynch after the 2010 season. (DT CJ Robbins came to NU the same way in that class.)

They listed McManis as a two-star as a default, but he was really a zero star. I had to add him to the database when NU offered him. Edgy didn't even know about him.

Reactions: DaCat and NUCat320
Actually, I believe that VanHoose was a 3 star who originally committed to Indiana, and I share your opinion of him as a player.

No love here for Rodney Ray?
OOPS, bad memory on my part - Nick was a 2 star recruit. I probably made him a 3-star in my own mind because I liked him so much. I met his father and uncle in Syracuse the night before Nick's first start. From that time forward, Nick's whole family came to our tailgate before and after every home game, and Nick generally came over after the game as well. They are wonderful people and remain friends to this day. Actually, I have sort of an indirect connection to Sherrick as well, because Brad Phillips family became friends also and Brad's father, Duane Phillips also played at Peoria Richwoods. Sherrick was a deserving winner and I'm very pleased the Nick finished third.

Reactions: DaCat
McManus made a stellar play yesterday downing (actually catching) a punt to down it at the 5. Of course the Bears D then let the Giants march down the field.

Reactions: DaCat
It’s frankly a crime that Blackmon finished behind Van Hoose. Per accomplishments, accolades, and NFL career.

and NFL career.
That’s a strange criteria when evaluating one‘s college career, especially when that NFL career included three more tackles than your NFL career.

Also, for what it’s worth, VanHoose earned all conference second team honors in both his sophomore and junior seasons; Blackmon only as a senior.

It’s frankly a crime that you’re so ill-informed. Ya!

Reactions: No Chores
The real game hanging CB, IMHO, was left off the list: Hudhafia Ismaeli. He may not have necessarily been the best cover CB, but his blitzes from the corner wrecked havoc for the 95-96 teams.

But if you force me choose from the list: VanHoose

ADVERTISEMENT