ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern QB over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern quarterback over the last 25 years? (Read the post below, then vote.)

• Steve Schnur

Votes: 25 15.9%
  • Zak Kustok

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Brett Basanez

Votes: 39 24.8%
  • Dan Persa

Votes: 57 36.3%
  • Clayton Thorson

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Other (reply with your write-in vote)

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you smoking medical weed these days Chief?

I loved Steve Schnur. What a gamer! But he just sneaks in at #10 among the top 10 reasons for those back-to-back championships. In order they go Barnett - Vanderlinden - the DL - the LBs - the DBs - the OL the RBs, the WRs, our kicking game and then Schnur. He was smart, tough and a competent passer in his 5th year. His best quality was that he made very few mistakes. But let's be honest. He wasn't good enough to play his first 3 years in the program. When we were awful. He played his 4th year only because Lloyd Abrahamson beat him out and then abruptly quit just before the start of the season. And he's half the reason that 1995 team ran and punted the ball more than they passed. Give him his credit. He was damn good at all he was asked to do as a 5th year senior in 1996. But again. There's a reason he wasn't asked to do all that much.

Schnur was the starting QB on NU's best teams that won a ton of games and some serious hardware. He was far from the best QB NU has trotted onto the field in the last 25 years. Baz was a stud. A leader that others followed. A player that other teams/coaches feared because he could beat them in so many ways. Persa was special too. Much like Baz. But his body of work was so small he never had the test of time that Baz passed with flying colors.

GOUNUII
Give me the guy who wins two consecutive Big Ten Championships every time. Your relative youth is clouding your judgment! Style points simply do not trump winning.

Reactions: drewjin
I went with Schnur, because of he won games but also was the star in 1996, first team All Big.

Several of these could deservingly tie for the honor but I have to concur with DaCat and NoChores if it has to be one.

Perhaps others will recall which Big Ten coach it was, but one of them was quoted as giving the single most important player credit to Schnur for getting us to the Rose Bowl.

Without Schnur’s accomplishments to set the subsequent quarterback legacy in place we may never have seen the other contenders.

Several of these could deservingly tie for the honor but I have to concur with DaCat and NoChores if it has to be one.

Perhaps others will recall which Big Ten coach it was, but one of them was quoted as giving the single most important player credit to Schnur for getting us to the Rose Bowl.

Without Schnur’s accomplishments to set the subsequent quarterback legacy in place we may never have seen the other contenders.
I would be interested in the opinion of @MRCat95 on this topic.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Pretty easy if you ask me

1) Persa
2) Kafka
3) Basanez
4) Kustok
5) Schnur
6) Thorson
7) Siemien
8) Colter

Still can’t believe Kafka wasn’t included. Lou must have missed the Outback Bowl vs. Auburn.

Kafka threw 5 interceptions including two at the end zone, one of which was returned 100 yds the other way. He had a really good game but did not do enough to win that game. Perhaps Schnur, Baz, and Persa would've. It's fun to debate.

It’s no coincidence that the one with the shortest career is winning the vote. Persa (and, Kustokish) is the only one that had opportunity to watch from the sidelines and learn on the practice field. We never saw his growing pains.

A vote for Thorson is the right vote.

In addition to winning despite all the growing pains, he’s the only one who had to carry the burden of running Mick McCall’s (by then) a-decade-outdated offensive scheme.

(just saw this thread, haven’t read, sorry if my incisive opinions are repeats)

Agreed. Persa was dynamic and carried the team that year. The fact that, after he got injured, NU got blown out in the last two games of the season plus losing the bowl game just showstoppers how much Persa carried the team. If you plugged a healthy RS junior Persa into any of the other top teams at NU, he might've squeezed out another +1 or +2 more wins.

Kafka threw 5 interceptions including two at the end zone, one of which was returned 100 yds the other way. He had a really good game but did not do enough to win that game. Perhaps Schnur, Baz, and Persa would've. It's fun to debate.

I think overall body of work Basanez, Kustok, and Schnur did a lot more than Kafka/Persa. Same with Bacher.

I just thought Persa/Kafka delivered the two best seasons in the past 25 years.

I'm going with Baz. Not an easy choice, but I think he was the best at making plays with his arm. He didn't have great talent at WR, and that defense was atrocious. He led us to 41 points in the second half of that 51-48 win over a good WI team.
He still has the NCAA record for most 4th quarter and later (Overtime) combacks. I believe it is 17.
The comeback against Iowa with Sutton was unbelievable.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
As you guys are making clear, there are a lot of good choices here, any one of whom could reasonably be considered the best. I myself would have a tough time definitively picking one over the other with any of them. I'm just thankful we've had such a steady parade of solid signal callers for almost all of this past quarter century.

Post Dark Ages
Qbs:
1. Shnurr
2. Kustok
3. Thorson
4. Baz
5. Persa
6. CJ
7. Siemien
8. Colter
9. Hughes

WR:
1. Bates
2. AC
3. Ebert
4. Musso
5. Patrick
6. Lane
7. Herbert
8. Peterson
9. Simmons
10. Philmore
11. Zeke

RB:
1 Sutton
2. Jackson
3. DA1
4. DA2
5. Wright
6. V Mark
7. Herron

As you guys are making clear, there are a lot of good choices here, any one of whom could reasonably be considered the best. I myself would have a tough time definitively picking one over the other with any of them. I'm just thankful we've had such a steady parade of solid signal callers for almost all of this past quarter century.
It’s too bad the poll couldn’t allow the top 3 choices in ranked order.

It’d be interesting to see who everyone has as their second and third top QBs.

I suspect the silent majority has Schnur or Thorson as #2 or #3 which would greatly help their ranking.

I think overall body of work Basanez, Kustok, and Schnur did a lot more than Kafka/Persa. Same with Bacher.

I just thought Persa/Kafka delivered the two best seasons in the past 25 years.
Generally agree.

Let's not forget that Bacher gave us two and a half seasons of dynamite offense. He took over for the inept Brewfka duo and immediately transformed the offense from a liability to a weapon.

Still can’t believe Kafka wasn’t included. Lou must have missed the Outback Bowl vs. Auburn.

I was there. In the press box. And on the field for the end of the game. Kafka was sensational, but he made a lot of mistakes in that game, too. He had those five TDs (four passing, one running) but also threw five INTs, including a pick-6. He had 532 yards, but you're going to pile up big numbers when you throw the ball 78 times. (He threw 31 incompletions, if you can believe that).

Anyway, I defended my decision earlier. I love No. 13, I just didn't think he did enough over his career to make the list. Which one of the five guys on the ballot should be left off to make room for Kafka? And would Kafka really have gotten your vote for QB1?

Generally agree.

Let's not forget that Bacher gave us two and a half seasons of dynamite offense. He took over for the inept Brewfka duo and immediately transformed the offense from a liability to a weapon.

Although CJ isn't in the "Top 5" conversation, he certainly at least deserves a mention when talking about NU QBs - kid played under three(?) offensive coordinators...threw the ball fearlessly, which I realize some people may say recklessly, great QB for the early years of Fitz and fun to watch.

We've really had an embarrassment of riches at the QB and RB positions over the past 25 years.

Reactions: Gladeskat and DaCat
We've really had an embarrassment of riches at the QB and RB positions over the past 25 years.

Until last year. When was the last time we used 4 different QBs in a single season?

Schnur had a great running game and an even better defense. He was largely irrelevant except when we needed a QB to win a game. Then, he just won those games.

Which games in 95 and 96 would you say he was the difference in getting the W?

GOUNUII

Until last year. When was the last time we used 4 different QBs in a single season?

recount-Johnson, Green ,Marty, Smith, Whittaker, and I think maybe one other, perhaps a walk on,took at least one sap at quarterback, maybe Niro, maybe Lees in a Wildcat formation.I seem to think the correct number is six or seven taking at least one snap at quarterback

The winning candidate getting almost no publicity here.

I'm sure you know, the reason he tore his Achilles is because of fatigue from carrying the entire team on his back.

Go back and watch him. Houdini with the heart of a lion. Persa Strong

The winning candidate getting almost no publicity here.

I'm sure you know, the reason he tore his Achilles is because of fatigue from carrying the entire team on his back.

Go back and watch him. Houdini with the heart of a lion. Persa Strong

Persa did have an amazing season in 2010 cut short to 10 games by his injury: 222-302 (73.5%) 2,581 yds, 15 TDs, 4 Int. The team was 7-3 when he played, but finished the season 7-6. He didn't achieve his incredible completion percentage with just dink and dunk passes, he had to make some tough throws while on the run. Definitely deserves all the praise he is getting.

Persa did have an amazing season in 2010 cut short to 10 games by his injury: 222-302 (73.5%) 2,581 yds, 15 TDs, 4 Int. The team was 7-3 when he played, but finished the season 7-6. He didn't achieve his incredible completion percentage with just dink and dunk passes, he had to make some tough throws while on the run. Definitely deserves all the praise he is getting.

Wow. Thanks for posting. As big a fan as I am of Persa, even I was amazed by some of those highlights. The only regret I have is not seeing what he could have done had he not been injured. The kid was special.

Wow. Thanks for posting. As big a fan as I am of Persa, even I was amazed by some of those highlights. The only regret I have is not seeing what he could have done had he not been injured. The kid was special.

What's amazing is that Persa followed up 2010 with another season in 2011 that had very similar passing stats, all the while recuperating from a devastating ruptured Achilles: 218-297 (73.4%) 2,376 yds, 17 TDs, 7 Int. All with a non-existent running game - in 2010 the leading rusher was Trumpy with 530 yds, Persa was second with 519 yds. In 2011 the leading rusher was Kain Colter (!) with 654 yds, followed by Jacob Schmidt 471 and Treyvon Green 362. Persa only managed 32 yds net rushing, meaning that his mobility wasn't close to what it was in 2010 before his injury.

Reactions: rogerkim
How many of those quarterbacks have a Super Bowl ring?

I mean, you could at least have included him in the poll

Reactions: Katatonic
I love this discussion and the various points that have been made. For me, the question boils down to how we define "best quarterback."

If this is about which had the most pure talent: my answer is Thorson. (I think he could have accomplished a lot more if not held back by McCall's play calling and Cushing's O-line.)

If it is about production: hard to argue with Basanez in terms of stats. That 2005 season was simply a beast.

If it is about accomplishments: Schnur. Back-to-back Big Ten titles. 'Nuff said.

But if you ask me to pick which QB I would want on any team, which one I felt elevated his team the most, which QB I think could have been successful if you slotted him in instead of any other QB on the list: it has to be Persa. His efficiency in an offense where he really had no other help, where he carried the offense on his back was simply legendary. IMHO, he did more with less than any other QB that has been mentioned - Thorson had JJTBC, Basanez had Sutton, Schnur had D. Autry (and everyone else on those stacked 95-96 teams). Put Persa on those teams, and I have to believe he performs as good, if not better than he did in his years. Put those three with Persa's supporting cast? I'm much less certain.

And less anyone think this was just 2010: 2010 and 2011 are ranked #6 and #7 on the all time season completion percentage record list. He is the only QB with two seasons in the top 10. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-season.html)
The only reason he doesn't own the career record is because sports reference set a minimum of 875 pass attempts. Otherwise, his 72.7% would blow Colt Brennan's mark of 70.4% out of the water.

My other reason for picking Persa: of all the QBs on this list, I enjoyed watching him the most. He was a magician, both in terms of accuracy, but also in escaping the pocket and getting the yards needed to move the chains. In fact, before I even looked at the options on the poll, my gut reaction to the question was: "It has to be Persa."

Sidenote: I almost picked Schnur. I was in school those years, so I have a fondness for the 95-96 teams. But he wasn't even my favorite player on those teams - Autry, Bates, and Musso were, along with just about every player on the defense. In contrast, I had a hard time remembering any other players on the 2010-2011 teams until I looked the roster up.

I have to say that Dan Persa singlehandedly won more games than any other NU QB. I don’t know if that makes him the best or most valuable, but he was the guy who consistently left me saying, “How the hell did he do that?” after many NU victories and even some (close) defeats where it seemed like the game should not have been close.

I know Dan Persa is my pick as a QB if I want to get to a bowl game despite a lousy run game, poor offensive line, lack of deep threat receivers and a mediocre defense.

Where I just need a guy to throw a nice deep ball because he’s got all or most of the other things around him that, I probably pick Thorson.

If I need a guy for the occasional 4th quarter save, it’s Schnur. Clutch.

Watching those clips makes not having a playmaker like Eric Peterman today hurt that much more.

Watching those clips makes not having a playmaker like Eric Peterman today hurt that much more.

I know I sound like a broken record but I think some of our current WRs are much better than what many of us give them credit for. In my opinion McGowan and Lees are as good a pair of WRs as any WRs we’ve had in recent memory, with few exceptions. Not elite players but very good college WRs capable of meaningfully impacting the game in a functioning offense. Our real issues on offense have been a long-standing problem with the OL and QB play (last year). Hopefully that will become evident this year when our OL and QB play take a meaningful step up.

Wasn't Persa also pound for pound he strongest guy on the team?

Seems like I remember reading that.

Reactions: DaCat
Wasn't Persa also pound for pound he strongest guy on the team?

Seems like I remember reading that.

He was up there and pretty maniacal with his work ethic, though ironically that was a part of his problem in returning from his Achilles injury -- he had essentially "maxed out" his body and went a bit overboard with his recovery.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Persa also might've had the best arm of the bunch. He could make just about any throw and had a nice deep ball. Completing over 70 percent of his passes over his career is a testament to his physical gifts, his understanding of the offense, and his composure.

Persa also might've had the best arm of the bunch. He could make just about any throw and had a nice deep ball. Completing over 70 percent of his passes over his career is a testament to his physical gifts, his understanding of the offense, and his composure.

Eh... I would put him behind Kafka, Siemian, Thorson, and probably Basanez for pure arm strength, but he was extremely accurate with a very good sense of timing.

Too much recency bias here. How many who responded to this poll attended the Rose Bowl or the Citrus Bowl with Schnur at the helm. I did both and that's why I voted for him. My Pa. bias put Persa just behind him, and he probably would have won by even more if he hadn't had the celebration injury. He tailgates right next to us and his leg is still a mess. However, back to back BIG championships put Schnur over the top for me.
He didn’t get hurt celebrating. Good grief

ADVERTISEMENT