ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern RB over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern RB over the last 25 years?

• Darnell Autry

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Damien Anderson

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Tyrell Sutton

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Justin Jackson

Votes: 78 67.8%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
We already identified Dan Persa as the best Northwestern's best quarterback over the last 25 years. Now, it's time to figure out who the best running back is.

First, read the WildcatReport story: Who was the best Northwestern running back over the last 25 years? It summarizes the careers of our four top running backs. Then, cast your vote here.
Jason Wright should have been included. If you break down the per-game stats and list all of his accomplishments in his only two seasons as a RB, then he measures very favorably compared to all four.

That said, I see this as a debate between Darnell Autry and Justin Jackson. And it’s a difficult choice, but I have to go with JJTBC. What he did will likely never be replicated again, whereas we may have another great RB on an unexpected Rose Bowl team.

Any thoughts as to how Darnell’s senior year would have gone if he didn’t go pro early?

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
For me, this choice was much easier than the poll for the best QB. JJTBC, hands down. Consistent production despite working with the least impressive offensive line. Similar thought process to my reason for putting Persa as best QB: did more with less. Only difference is that Jackson had Thorson as QB, which did take some of the pressure of him, but most defenses were geared up to stop Jackson.

If I recall correctly, advanced statistics also showed that he did more with less blocking, with a greater percentage of his rushing yards attributable to him than his offensive line. (Adjusted line yards, I think it is the statistic that was referenced, but I can't remember where the reference is that broke this down for JJTBC specifically...anyone remember?) Put him behind the 95-96 OL? Now that's a scary thought for opposing defenses... I don't think any other NU RB was hit in the backfield and still produced positive yards more than Justin Jackson.

Loved Darnell and would consider him second to JJTBC. I have particularly fond memories of this TD run in the Citrus Bowl, while he was recovering from the flu:
(one of my favorite announcer calls: "You think he's feeling okay?!? You think he's feeling okay?!?")

On a side note, I love watching highlights of the 95-96 teams - I had forgotten just how good they were in all three phases of the game. Although we have had success since then, I don't think any NU team has been as complete as those Barnett teams were. Too often in the ensuing years, we have had a good offense with a sub-par defense, or a great defense with a mediocre offense. Can't think of many other seasons where both sides of the ball, plus special teams, were good at the same time.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
My top three:
1. Justin Jackson
2. Darnell Autry
3. Damien Anderson

JJTBC was amazing and fun to watch. The only thing that was missing was the excitement of the home run threat, although he did have some nice long runs in his career.

Most exciting to watch - Damien in 2000, followed by Venric Mark in 2012. Tyrell Sutton's freshman season was special too.

JJTBC was amazing and fun to watch. The only thing that was missing was the excitement of the home run threat, although he did have some nice long runs in his career.

Absolutely right on this. If JJTBC had just a slightly higher top end speed, he would have had at least 50% more TDs in his college career and would have been a higher draft pick in the NFL. Can't remember how many times in his career he was caught from behind after breaking through into the secondary...

Still love him, but if he had Darnell's or Damien's breakaway speed, wow...that would have been something to behold.

(Of course, he might not have stayed for all 4 years if not for his lack of top-end speed, so...)

We already identified Dan Persa as the best Northwestern's best quarterback over the last 25 years. Now, it's time to figure out who the best running back is.

It's kind of a trick question. JJTBC was the greatest in total achievements, and he sometimes simply willed his teams to victory, one of the greatest Wildcats ever! But Darnell carried the offense on his back during the Rose Bowl season. We would not have gotten there without him. That was one of the greatest achievements/turnarounds in College Football history! Slight edge to Darnell. This SI cover says it all!

https://images.app.goo.gl/tKz4yLH6MVjMwjhq9

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
My top three:
1. Justin Jackson
2. Darnell Autry
3. Damien Anderson

Most exciting to watch - Damien in 2000, followed by Venric Mark in 2012. Tyrell Sutton's freshman season was special too.

Mine is JJ, Autry and Sutton.

Absolutely right on this. If JJTBC had just a slightly higher top end speed, he would have had at least 50% more TDs in his college career and would have been a higher draft pick in the NFL. Can't remember how many times in his career he was caught from behind after breaking through into the secondary...

Still love him, but if he had Darnell's or Damien's breakaway speed, wow...that would have been something to behold.

(Of course, he might not have stayed for all 4 years if not for his lack of top-end speed, so...)

Darnell Autry? Breakway speed?

It's Justin Jackson.

Everyone talks about how Clayton Thorson "just won games." OK, fine. But then Justin Jackson just won games, too. I can't imagine how bad the 2015 offense would have been without JJTBC. He consistently made something out of nothing and put Thorson into third-and-short situations when just about any other RB would have been stopped for a loss.

I've never been so impressed with two- to three-yard runs in my life. And his durability and ability to avoid big, crushing tackles is unlike anything I've ever witnessed.

Darnell Autry? Breakway speed?

Fair enough. I stand corrected. Darnell was not the best comparison in terms of NU RBs with more breakaway speed than JJTBC. I still maintain that Autry had a slightly higher top-end speed than Jackson did, but you're right, neither could fairly be described as a "burner". I guess I just remember too many times that JJ got caught from behind, and I don't remember as many times for Darnell. Rose Bowl colored glasses, I guess.

the blocking in the Wiscy highlights is fantastic.

Yeah, watching these highlights and seeing first contact happen 5 years past the line of scrimmage is awesome. The level of blocking that OL did was something I don't think we've seen on an NU team since. I don't remember that many plays for JJTBC where running lanes were that open.

[/QUOTE]

Don't you just love hearing Keith Jackson's call of the Penn State game? Man, I miss his voice.

Reactions: drewjin
It's kind of a trick question. JJTBC was the greatest in total achievements, and he sometimes simply willed his teams to victory, one of the greatest Wildcats ever! But Darnell carried the offense on his back during the Rose Bowl season. We would not have gotten there without him. That was one of the greatest achievements/turnarounds in College Football history! Slight edge to Darnell. This SI cover says it all!

https://images.app.goo.gl/tKz4yLH6MVjMwjhq9
Darnell had arguably the best NU line ever in front of him

First, read the WildcatReport story: Who was the best Northwestern running back over the last 25 years? It summarizes the careers of our four top running backs. Then, cast your vote here.
DA1 was in the room when the Heisman was being handed out... enough said. Can't believe anybody would vote otherwise. Recency bias is powerful I guess

Reactions: NUThump
There was nothing more fun than watching DA2 in 2000, except maybe four years of JJTBC.

The top two are obviously JJTBC and DA1. Sutton and DA2 is a tossup for me, though I’ve not looked at the numbers. DA2 had the highest high, but it would seem that Sutton’s first three years we’re better than any other season of DA2’s.

(Upon further review, Sutton was hurt for two seasons. I guess I’d forgotten that. But Sutton was a threat in the passing game, while Anderson’s most notable play was that dropped ball against Michigan. Still a tossup.)

I wish Venric and Herron and Wright were listed. Herron averaged 5.5 ypc for his career, though only 5.0 the year he started.

Last edited:
DA1 was in the room when the Heisman was being handed out... enough said. Can't believe anybody would vote otherwise. Recency bias is powerful I guess
For anybody who cares to...go back and look at his stats in the last game the year before th rose bowl season. That game is the reason I got bseason tickets and got to see every game from the 40 in 94-95. Darnell shredded it that day and every game after that. Was it 11 100 yard games in a row? I forget

Reactions: DaCat
For anybody who cares to...go back and look at his stats in the last game the year before th rose bowl season. That game is the reason I got bseason tickets and got to see every game from the 40 in 94-95. Darnell shredded it that day and every game after that. Was it 11 100 yard games in a row? I forget
4 th in the Heisman in 95, 7th in 96. Soak Walker finalist. Wheaties Box. Cover of SI. Set precedent for all college athletes regarding pay for non sport related activities when he sued the ncaa.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaCat
1798 rush yards in 1994-95. Just under 2 k total yards. Everybody knew it was going to him. Nobody stopped him. 4.6 ypc. All time leading scorer when he left after 2 seasons and a couple games played. Loved the game. Ran back to the huddle after every play.

1798 rush yards in 1994-95. Just under 2 k total yards. Everybody knew it was going to him. Nobody stopped him. 4.6 ypc. All time leading scorer when he left after 2 seasons and a couple games played. Loved the game. Ran back to the huddle after every play.

2 time all american. Who else on the list has one?

I remember listening to that game on the radio. On the road against Penn State if that part of my memory is correct.

Great, great player. With a great line in front of him.

JJTBC isn't recency error. It's 4 straight years of excellence with an average supporting cast

Otherwise give your vote to Damien Anderson because of his one fantastic year

Great, great player. With a great line in front of him.

JJTBC isn't recency error. It's 4 straight years of excellence with an average supporting cast

Otherwise give your vote to Damien Anderson because of his one fantastic year

DA1 was drafted in the 4 th round. I loved JJTBC but DA1 was TheRealDeal. By all metrics he was the better back.

Watch his highlight video. That line was good but Darnell made them better. He had amazing patience while moving towards the line, let his blocks set up, and cut off his blocks better than anyone. We've had better lines, and better qbs. Jjtbc got to play with one of the qbs. You want to talk about offensive scheme... Brandon's offense was super basic and conservative compared to McCall.

They are all great in my mind. If, and I admit it is a big If, Darnell played his senior year AND ran for the average of his yardage of his 2 full time seasons, he would be at roughly 5,400 yards in 3 years. The near equivalent of JJTBC in almost a season less games.

I voted for JJ because he did it for four years and led us to two bowl wins (including a MVP performance in the NYC), but recency bias over Darnell probably was a part of it after following this discussion. DA2 was electric in 2000 but played hurt in 2001. All three made it to the pros Very close call. Another fun discussion and a reason I subscribe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT