ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern safety over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern safety over the last 25 years?

• William Bennett

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Hudhaifa Ismaeli

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Eric Collier

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Brad Phillips

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Brian Peters

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Ibraheim Campbell

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Godwin Igwebuike

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
You've got your work cut out for you in this one. We've got SEVEN safeties on the ballot, and there's no clear-cut favorite. This could be the most interesting race.

You know the drill. First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern safety over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best safety over the last quarter century.

The poll will close Monday at noon, so vote NOW!

You've got your work cut out for you in this one. We've got SEVEN safeties on the ballot, and there's no clear-cut favorite. This could be the most interesting race.

You know the drill. First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern safety over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best safety over the last quarter century.

The poll will close Monday at noon, so vote NOW!
This a doozy!!! Each one is deserving in their own right. I've been staring at their names for ten minutes, arguing with myself who should get my vote. I need to get a life!!!

This is tough! I loved Brad Phillips...”Purple Sandman” because he straight knock guys out with some of those big hits!
This right here. It was tough for me to choose - but I used to enjoy watching defense play specifically for Phillips’s big hits. The classic on Shonn Greene will forever live in Wildcat lore.

Best walk-on safety: Brian Heinz. I think he had 5 INTs one season and made some preseason all-conference teams.

This is tough! I loved Brad Phillips...”Purple Sandman” because he straight knock guys out with some of those big hits!
Yet another 2 star, so I'm sure he'll get a vote from Glades - but I think there are other 2 stars on the list. Brad played quarterback on a very good Franklin Regional team here in Western Pa. I saw him play in high school (on t.v.) when his team beat a very good team from Erie in the state final. That team, General McLane, was quarterbacked by a young man named Drew Astorino who led his team to a state title the following year. Astorino went on to become a star safety at Penn State. I got to know Brad and his family very well when he was at NU - they were regular visitors at our tailgate. I voted for Brad, but I also felt that Hudaifa Ismaeli was one of the greatest athletes ever to suit up for the 'Cats.

Yet another 2 star, so I'm sure he'll get a vote from Glades - but I think there are other 2 stars on the list. Brad played quarterback on a very good Franklin Regional team here in Western Pa. I saw him play in high school (on t.v.) when his team beat a very good team from Erie in the state final. That team, General McLane, was quarterbacked by a young man named Drew Astorino who led his team to a state title the following year. Astorino went on to become a star safety at Penn State. I got to know Brad and his family very well when he was at NU - they were regular visitors at our tailgate. I voted for Brad, but I also felt that Hudaifa Ismaeli was one of the greatest athletes ever to suit up for the 'Cats.

So true about Hudaifa! He was such a Swiss Army knife. Had a nose for the ball forcing turnovers, but was every bit as effective on blitzes and getting to the quarterback!

Reactions: No Chores
I thought Brendan Smith was at least as good as Phillips. Four year starter. Made big plays all over the place. Twice all conference and once freshman all America.

Like Phillips, he was a high school quarterback. I have no doubt that having two former QB1s in the defensive backfield helped NU’s defense. Imagine how bad the Colby cheese defenses would’ve been without their smarts...

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT