ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best Northwestern WR over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern wide receiver over the last 25 years?

• D'Wayne Bates

Votes: 78 85.7%
  • Jeremy Ebert

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Austin Carr

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Other (reply with your choice)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know if he is the best but John Schweighart played half a game with a broken arm and even caught a few key passes. And the arm was broken because Northwestern was cheap regarding renovations, something about a drainage ditch,.

Damn.

Reactions: drewjin
Bates was clearly the best in terms of being feared by defenses, having the athletic ability to dominate defenders, and pure measurables so I had to vote for him but Markshausen and Carr were my favorites to watch. Their senior seasons were so unexpected had a reckless, magical feeling. You expected Bates to do what he did. But with Carr and Markshausen you were always kind of thinking their "luck" would run out any minute. But it didn't.

Speaking as a Gissendaner fan I might disagree ;)

Richard Buchanan too!

Buchanan was a beast, an overlooked player because he played on lousy teams. He made first-team All-Big Ten twice. Buchanan (1989-90), Bates (1996, 1998) and Barry Pearson (1970-71) are the only NU wide receivers to be named first-team twice. I never heard of Pearson -- @willycat? @GOUNUII?

Flatley, who got mentioned earlier, never made first-team All-Big Ten (he was second-team in 1962). One-time first-teamers are Gissendaner, Ebert, Bates, Carr and Jim Lash (who was named as a split end).

Last edited:
Since most teams play with at least two wide receivers, maybe we need to vote for #2 also. Someone has to take advantage of all those D’Wayne Bates double teams!

Reactions: DaCat
As long as we are listing guys NOT as good as Bates, I enjoyed Todd Sheets in 1980

/S

But he did have a good year

Reactions: DaCat
Bates, hands down. Yes, he benefitted from the great team that surrounded him, especially the play-action passes off of run fakes to Darnell. But we simply haven't had another receiver in the past 25 years with his combination of size, hands, routes, and speed. And he did it consistently over his career. Bates was clearly the best WR in recent NU history - I would vote for him twice if I could.

Having said that, my favorite WR to watch was his teammate, Brian Musso. Absolutely fearless, both in running patterns over the middle from the slot and in punt returning.

Meyers to Flatley and down goes Ohio St.!
What a game and in Columbus. OSU had Bo Scott and Paul Warfield and led 14 - 0 at the half. 'Cats scored 3 touchdowns and no extra points in the second half to win 18 - 14. Jack Cvercko, our All American guard was named Sports Illustrated lineman of the week playing over Bob Vogel and Darryl Sanders of OSU. Vogel is the grandfather of our current starting right tackle Gunner Vogel. (By the way willy, it was Myers not Meyers.)

What a game and in Columbus. OSU had Bo Scott and Paul Warfield and led 14 - 0 at the half. 'Cats scored 3 touchdowns and no extra points in the second half to win 18 - 14. Jack Cvercko, our All American guard was named Sports Illustrated lineman of the week playing over Bob Vogel and Darryl Sanders of OSU. Vogel is the grandfather of our current starting right tackle Gunner Vogel. (By the way willy, it was Myers not Meyers.)

Your on a roll No Chores. Keep it going.

GOUNUII

Buchanan was a beast, an overlooked player because he played on lousy teams. He made first-team All-Big Ten twice. Buchanan (1989-90), Bates (1996, 1998) and Barry Pearson (1970-71) are the only NU wide receivers to be named first-team twice. I never heard of Pearson -- @willycat? @GOUNUII?

Flatley, who got mentioned earlier, never made first-team All-Big Ten (he was second-team in 1962). One-time first-teamers are Gissendaner, Ebert, Bates, Carr and Jim Lash (who was named as a split end).

Pearson went undrafted after those back-to-back All Big seasons, but caught on with the Steelers. He is the answer to this trivia question. Who was Bradshaw's intended target as they broke the huddle on the play famously known as the Immaculate Reception. Yep ... it went from Pearson as the target out of the huddle ... to Fuqua when Bradshaw got pressured ... to the hands of some stiff from Penn State on the deflection.

Those were some pretty darn good Wildcat teams in 1970 and 1971.

And then darkness descended on Evanston ... at the hand of Robert Strotz ... who not coincidentally arrived as University President in 1970.

GOUNUII

No love for Zeke Markshausen? A walk-on who earned his scholly, and then set a single-season school record (which I think still stands) with 91 receptions during the 2009 season.

I know that Zeke doesn't have the well deserved historical halo of Bates, or the catalog of recent memories like Carr does, but the Markshausen story is notable. Plus, the guy was always clutch.

Thanks Chores. I was there when the team arrived back on campus, actually just outside of Dyche Stadium, after the game. Who was the placekicker?

Pearson went undrafted after those back-to-back All Big seasons, but caught on with the Steelers. He is the answer to this trivia question. Who was Bradshaw's intended target as they broke the huddle on the play famously known as the Immaculate Reception. Yep ... it went from Pearson as the target out of the huddle ... to Fuqua when Bradshaw got pressured ... to the hands of some stiff from Penn State on the deflection.

Those were some pretty darn good Wildcat teams in 1970 and 1971.

And then darkness descended on Evanston ... at the hand of Robert Strotz ... who not coincidentally arrived as University President in 1970.

GOUNUII
Putz . . . :mad:

Bates, hands down. Yes, he benefitted from the great team that surrounded him, especially the play-action passes off of run fakes to Darnell. But we simply haven't had another receiver in the past 25 years with his combination of size, hands, routes, and speed. And he did it consistently over his career. Bates was clearly the best WR in recent NU history - I would vote for him twice if I could.

Having said that, my favorite WR to watch was his teammate, Brian Musso. Absolutely fearless, both in running patterns over the middle from the slot and in punt returning.
Yep, Musso remains, to this day, my all-time favorite 'Cat.

Reactions: drewjin
Everybody always forgets Curtis Duncan. The fastest NU WR ever, and owner of the longest, most productive NFL career of them all.

GOUNUII

I don’t know if his career was longer or more productive than Steve Tasker, though the latter’ s productivity came on special teams.

Zeke might have gotten more love if he'd just waited a split second longer before picking up the ball on the failed fumblerooski in overtime against Auburn.

Flatley, who got mentioned earlier, never made first-team All-Big Ten (he was second-team in 1962).
I know you’re a youngster, Lou, so let me give you the skinny (oldster slang). Tommy Myers made All American on Flatley’s ability to catch anything Myers heaved at him. Flatley had a pretty good career in the NFL, too.

I kind of wish the 95 guys were omitted from these lists and we did last twenty years.

Football back in the mid 90s was a completely different game. It’s very hard to compare those players to the ones in the modern era.

I kind of wish the 95 guys were omitted from these lists and we did last twenty years.

Football back in the mid 90s was a completely different game. It’s very hard to compare those players to the ones in the modern era.

I would take 1995 D'Wayne Bates in a heartbeat!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT