ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Who was the best NU kick returner over the last 25 years?

Who was the best Northwestern kick returner over the last 25 years?

• Stephen Simmons

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Venric Mark

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Solomon Vault

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Kickoff returns are one of the most electric plays in college football, and we have a list of three of the highest-voltage players to ever wear Purple.

You know the drill. First, read the WildcatReport story to refresh your memory about these guys' careers: Who was the best Northwestern kick returner over the last 25 years?

Then vote for your choice -- or write in your pick below -- for the title of best kick returner over the last quarter century.

The poll will close Monday at noon, so vote NOW!

I’m no mathematician, but for Vault, isn’t 50 returns for 1518 yards about 30.3 per rather than 25.3? Am I reading that wrong?

I recall J-Wright being an excellent return man, but it’s possible that he had the job for only a year or two before he became a full time starter.

I have definite memories of a kick return reverse and fake-reverse package in the fun R-Dub “let‘s do some occasional crazy special teams crap” era.

I recall J-Wright being an excellent return man, but it’s possible that he had the job for only a year or two before he became a full time starter.

I have definite memories of a kick return reverse and fake-reverse package in the fun R-Dub “let‘s do some occasional crazy special teams crap” era.
Wright averaged 26.7 yards per return and actually had his best two seasons by far when he was the star RB. However he only had 31 career returns - 18 as a junior (when he scored his only return TD).

To me, successful kick returns are generally more a function of the blocking by the return team as opposed to the skill of the return man, who spots his seam and runs like hell. There are a few exceptions, but generally they are guys with Bob Hayes like speed, where they get to the seam a split second before mere mortals.

I think the Cats have had some competent players at this spot in the last 25 years. The only one who really compelled me to sit up and watch was Ismaeli, who didn’t do it too often and never broke one for a touchdown; what he did do every time he took one was get to the spot where a single good block would have sprung him.

To me, successful kick returns are generally more a function of the blocking by the return team as opposed to the skill of the return man, who spots his seam and runs like hell. There are a few exceptions, but generally they are guys with Bob Hayes like speed, where they get to the seam a split second before mere mortals.

I think the Cats have had some competent players at this spot in the last 25 years. The only one who really compelled me to sit up and watch was Ismaeli, who didn’t do it too often and never broke one for a touchdown; what he did do every time he took one was get to the spot where a single good block would have sprung him.

Devin Hester disagrees.

Reactions: BarefootCat
Thanks for the edit!
You’re welcome.

The bigger mystery: how did Jason Wright only have 26 kickoff returns during the 2002 and 2003 seasons, when defenses seemingly scored at will?

I think Backes also had a KO touchdown called back during one of those seasons... but still.

You’re welcome.

The bigger mystery: how did Jason Wright only have 26 kickoff returns during the 2002 and 2003 seasons, when defenses seemingly scored at will?

I think Backes also had a KO touchdown called back during one of those seasons... but still.

Didn't Backes have a KO for TD against the Buckeyes in C-Bus? NU got waxed, but I think Backes prevented the shutout.

What was strange was that I believe Fitz took Vault off of kickoff returns and put some guys back there that we never heard of. Vault wasn't a RB and he was never going to be a great wr, so I think Fitz sorta missed this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT