ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting Game

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
Perhaps it is that we have so much more media coverage of recruiting today that we are aware of the thinking processes of HS student-athletes to an almost disturbing degree. Yet, it seems as though we have many young men ranking NU at or near the top among their college choices but not committing. I cannot help but wonder why that is. Are they waiting for other offers? Do they have unarticulated concerns about NU? Do they simply love the attention of the recruiting process and hope to prolong it? I do not remember waiting for so many decisions.

Last edited:
This doesn’t seem very out of the ordinary to me. I reckon we will hear soon from a few more players.

If it’s a bit longer of a wait than usual, this signals to me that NU is in the hunt for higher-quality recruits, who have more offers to consider and may take more time to decide. By contrast, look at the flurry of recent commits to Purdue. They talk about the huge uptick in recruiting under Brohm, but a lot of those who committed in the past week held largely MAC-like offers. Rouse has offers from OSU, PSU and Oklahoma. Franks has Baylor, Louisville and Cal. Worth the wait if NU can win a few of these battles, which I think they can.

I think we are more or less on schedule compared to previous years. This is going to big a bigger class with ~22 slots, so we have a few slots left. We typically have been a school that offers and fills classes early, but the change in OVs has accelerated the cycle for other schools.

So I do think there is more "early competition" now. The guys left on our offer board are highly sought--typically high 3 star kids who have very good tapes. It is understandable that some of the kids are hedging their bets and/or simply are trying to enjoy the process a bit. Most of these kids just finished their junior year a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately for kids like Brock, he lost his opportunity at Iowa by waiting. But in past years, that slot would likely still be open at this time. Brock may (justifiably) feel that SEC schools will come knocking, as many recruit the St. Louis area.

I think we are more or less on schedule compared to previous years. This is going to big a bigger class with ~22 slots, so we have a few slots left. We typically have been a school that offers and fills classes early, but the change in OVs has accelerated the cycle for other schools.

So I do think there is more "early competition" now. The guys left on our offer board are highly sought--typically high 3 star kids who have very good tapes. It is understandable that some of the kids are hedging their bets and/or simply are trying to enjoy the process a bit. Most of these kids just finished their junior year a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately for kids like Brock, he lost his opportunity at Iowa by waiting. But in past years, that slot would likely still be open at this time. Brock may (justifiably) feel that SEC schools will come knocking, as many recruit the St. Louis area.

SEC schools? They are filling up as well. They are focusing on GA and FL kids...not RB's from IL.

SEC schools? They are filling up as well. They are focusing on GA and FL kids...not RB's from IL.
Good players from the St. Louis area get recruited by SEC schools. Brock may be squeezed out by numbers at RB, but I would imagine that he has heard from at least a few SEC schools.

His biggest problem may be the offense he played in, which means he probably won't be ready as a true frosh.

Didn’t realize the number would be above 20. Then what is this nonsense about only taking one more O-lineman (Rouse or Franks)? Certainly seem to have room for both.

Sorry. 22 was a typo. Meant 20.

With that in mind, it’s very possible that NU won’t need to offer any other players from here on out before the class is filled up, if enough “leans” go Fitz’s way. That would be impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT