ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Peter Skoronski on Saturday

FloridAlum

May 29, 2001
The all American bowl from San Antonio. 1 PM Eastern time on NBC (I saw it listed as 12 Eastern in a couple of places, but I think that is incorrect, my TV Guide says 1 PM Eastern) I think he will be wearing number 76, playing for the East team,And I think he will be playing left guard. Check your local listings.

The all American bowl from San Antonio. 1 PM Eastern time on NBC (I saw it listed as 12 Eastern in a couple of places, but I think that is incorrect, my TV Guide says 1 PM Eastern) I think he will be wearing number 76, playing for the East team,And I think he will be playing left guard. Check your local listings.
tribune schedule says at noon.

Peter looks great on First drive for the East team. Ran right behind him on the first play and has looked solid in pass blocking since then. This kid has a real shot to be a first year starter for us.

He's a really really good player, imo

I personally doubt he'll have the raw mass necesasry to start in the Big10 as a True Frosh, especially in a run oriented offense.

But he's going to be a player at Northwestern. Personally, I'd bet on him making into the NFL eventually.

Very, very athletic for his size.

He's a really really good player, imo

I personally doubt he'll have the raw mass necesasry to start in the Big10 as a True Frosh, especially in a run oriented offense.

But he's going to be a player at Northwestern. Personally, I'd bet on him making into the NFL eventually.

Very, very athletic for his size.

He has plenty of time to focus on adding weight. Only concern is that his focus on the shot during spring could hinder weight gain.

He has plenty of time to focus on adding weight. Only concern is that his focus on the shot during spring could hinder weight gain.

Really? While putting the shot is more about technique and explosiveness, I would assume he's doing a lot of weight lifting to improve his strength for the shot. I found it interesting that his discus numbers are so relatively mediocre. They must not have a decent discus coach at Maine South.

Really? While putting the shot is more about technique and explosiveness, I would assume he's doing a lot of weight lifting to improve his strength for the shot. I found it interesting that his discus numbers are so relatively mediocre. They must not have a decent discus coach at Maine South.

Lifting and explosive work, yes. Gaining extra weight, not necessarily.

Reactions: Gladeskat

In my HS track days, I’d role in and do shot and discus for 5-15 minutes and then spend most of my track practice time working with the sprinters and/or lifting weights.

Learning a solid basic technique on shot put was sufficient to get you reasonably near your ceiling, but getting a perfectly efficient discus technique down took a crap ton of work that quite frankly I was not going to do in terms of sacrificing weightlifting time or sprinting work.

I’m guessing Skoronski is probably doing the things that are 100% helpful for football in track like lifting and overall sprint/plyometric stuff, conditioning, but spending less time on the stuff that’s helpful only for track (like discus technique).

His lousy discus numbers might not be on the discus coach...

In my HS track days, I’d role in and do shot and discus for 5-15 minutes and then spend most of my track practice time working with the sprinters and/or lifting weights.

Learning a solid basic technique on shot put was sufficient to get you reasonably near your ceiling, but getting a perfectly efficient discus technique down took a crap ton of work that quite frankly I was not going to do in terms of sacrificing weightlifting time or sprinting work.

I’m guessing Skoronski is probably doing the things that are 100% helpful for football in track like lifting and overall sprint/plyometric stuff, conditioning, but spending less time on the stuff that’s helpful only for track (like discus technique).

His lousy discus numbers might not be on the discus coach...

I say this because my HS had a great discus coach back in the day. We usually had 4-5 guys who could throw over 150 feet and one guy (Bruce Rolfe) who tossed it 187 feet (his son was a 3x HS all American). The 'throw-off' to decide who would go to compete at conference and district championships were tougher than the district meet itself (>30 schools). I remember the guys who lost after these competitions being pissed off that they couldn't go when their throws would have qualified them for the state meet. We regularly swept the discus and placed well in the shot at large meets.

He also was years ahead of most HS football coaches and even NU coaches (he was an OL/DL coach) back in the late 60's early 70's in pushing weight training, particularly with free weights. That helps explain his success as a track weight coach.

Another school with an OUTSTANDING weight coach/program is Lake Park HS in Roselle, IL.

Here's Bruce Rolfe's son talking about training for weight events.

Washington athletes are really throwing their weight around
By MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN, SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER
Published 10:00 pm PDT, Thursday, May 27, 2004

Rolfe heads the class of the throwers because of his versatility in the discus, shot and hammer. He threw the javelin several times in competition, but only for fun.

Rolfe works with Inglemoor throwing coach Dave Allemeier and his father, Dr. Bruce Rolfe. Coach and father credit Nate's success in the discus mostly to his speed within the launch circle. As he keeps a wide radius while turning faster and faster, the discus also keeps accelerating.

Rolfe, 6 feet 2, 240 pounds, seldom lifts weights to strengthen his arms. He works mostly on squats and building his abdominal muscles, ignoring the bench press. His speed comes from his leg strength.
The Rolfes' reputation for the technical aspects is widely known, which includes the use of a video program that allows them to break down throws in 1/30 of a second frames. It typically takes Rolfe nine frames -- or one-third of a second -- to move his feet across the launch circle.
Despite the attention to detail and technique, Dr. Rolfe points to another aspect of his son's practice regimen that separates him from the competition.

"People ask how Nate can throw the discus 200 feet while everyone else throws around 170," he said. "It's because he throws more than them. Nate will have around 10,000 throws recorded in the past year alone, and I believe Matt Wauters will be near the same amount in the shot. These guys are making about 300 throws a week."

Rolfe will be attending Cal next fall, but not after a full summer of competition, including a tryout for the U.S. Junior National team in July. Not only is Rolfe one of the eminent discus throwers in the nation, he's also the top high school hammer thrower. Wauters is heading to Idaho and holds the fourth-best high school shot mark this year in the nation. Nyland is deciding between Washington or Purdue.

Bruce's son also put the shot 60 feet. He doesn't bench or work hard on his upper body other than his abs.

Way too much info but it was fun to Google and give props to an old friend from HS.

I say this because my HS had a great discus coach back in the day. We usually had 4-5 guys who could throw over 150 feet and one guy (Bruce Rolfe) who tossed it 187 feet (his son was a 3x HS all American). The 'throw-off' to decide who would go to compete at conference and district championships were tougher than the district meet itself (>30 schools). I remember the guys who lost after these competitions being pissed off that they couldn't go when their throws would have qualified them for the state meet. We regularly swept the discus and placed well in the shot at large meets.

He also was years ahead of most HS football coaches and even NU coaches (he was an OL/DL coach) back in the late 60's early 70's in pushing weight training, particularly with free weights. That helps explain his success as a track weight coach.

Another school with an OUTSTANDING weight coach/program is Lake Park HS in Roselle, IL.

Here's Bruce Rolfe's son talking about training for weight events.

Washington athletes are really throwing their weight around
By MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN, SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER
Published 10:00 pm PDT, Thursday, May 27, 2004

Rolfe heads the class of the throwers because of his versatility in the discus, shot and hammer. He threw the javelin several times in competition, but only for fun.

Rolfe works with Inglemoor throwing coach Dave Allemeier and his father, Dr. Bruce Rolfe. Coach and father credit Nate's success in the discus mostly to his speed within the launch circle. As he keeps a wide radius while turning faster and faster, the discus also keeps accelerating.

Rolfe, 6 feet 2, 240 pounds, seldom lifts weights to strengthen his arms. He works mostly on squats and building his abdominal muscles, ignoring the bench press. His speed comes from his leg strength.
The Rolfes' reputation for the technical aspects is widely known, which includes the use of a video program that allows them to break down throws in 1/30 of a second frames. It typically takes Rolfe nine frames -- or one-third of a second -- to move his feet across the launch circle.
Despite the attention to detail and technique, Dr. Rolfe points to another aspect of his son's practice regimen that separates him from the competition.

"People ask how Nate can throw the discus 200 feet while everyone else throws around 170," he said. "It's because he throws more than them. Nate will have around 10,000 throws recorded in the past year alone, and I believe Matt Wauters will be near the same amount in the shot. These guys are making about 300 throws a week."

Rolfe will be attending Cal next fall, but not after a full summer of competition, including a tryout for the U.S. Junior National team in July. Not only is Rolfe one of the eminent discus throwers in the nation, he's also the top high school hammer thrower. Wauters is heading to Idaho and holds the fourth-best high school shot mark this year in the nation. Nyland is deciding between Washington or Purdue.

Bruce's son also put the shot 60 feet. He doesn't bench or work hard on his upper body other than his abs.

Way too much info but it was fun to Google and give props to an old friend from HS.

Coach Turnbull was a very, very good coach. And a good teacher as well in the classroom.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Coach Turnbull was a very, very good coach. And a good teacher as well in the classroom.

I'd like to know the number and the dollar amount of scholarships his athletes earned from his coaching and general influence...

...and for that matter, the influence of the University of Nebraska football program.;)

Reactions: julescat
Track & Field athletes (obviously, aside from distance events) have made excellent football players at various positions over the years. Michael Carter was a discus/shot putter. Russ Francis & Terry Bradshaw were Javelin throwers. And naturally, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Bob Hayes, etc....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT