ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early minute game

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
I’m bored at a conference and missing the rant board so the logical solution: let’s talk minutes.

My starting five prediction: Boo, Berry, Beran, Nance & Young. Rotation: Greer, Audige, William, Nich. 200 mpg avg to distribute:

30 mpg: boo, Beran, nance
20 mpg: Berry, audige, young
15 mpg: Nich
10 mpg: Greer, William
10 mpg: frosh

I’m not high on this season. In order to have a watchable season, we need four of the following:
- boo progresses as a guard in scoring and managing A/T ratio
- Berry becomes scoring threat and learns how to D
- Beran becomes a consistently B1G starter in scoring and D
- Nance stops whining and shows previously unseen toughness
- Nich commands starter minutes
- a frosh earns a 6th man role, doesn’t get it based on crappy alternatives
- Audige forced to 7th man status as a result of the performances of others

If we see five of these things occur and none of those individuals go down with major injury, maybe we stiff ncaa.

If we play on the first day of BTT, then CCC has to go…unless that somehow still translates to ticket to the dance.

There you have it…come beat me up :D

Reactions: mountaindrew
I'm hoping we see something like Nance 30, Young 27, Nicholson 10-12.
Berry will be better. Roper should be able to get minutes as a freshman.
Hopefully Buie and Audige get more from their talent next season.
Replacing Gaines' minutes with more of those 4 is a net plus, in my opinion.

Beran was fine when paired with Ryan Young, but the Nance/Beran combo is a disaster. If Beran gets more than 15 minutes a game, we will underperform our talent (again).

If we have to go with 3 guards, 2 bigs, so be it.

Reactions: Titanium999
I'm hoping we see something like Nance 30, Young 27, Nicholson 10-12.
Berry will be better. Roper should be able to get minutes as a freshman.
Hopefully Buie and Audige get more from their talent next season.
Replacing Gaines' minutes with more of those 4 is a net plus, in my opinion.

Beran was fine when paired with Ryan Young, but the Nance/Beran combo is a disaster. If Beran gets more than 15 minutes a game, we will underperform our talent (again).

If we have to go with 3 guards, 2 bigs, so be it.
We will exceed expectations with a solid and mature team!

I’m bored at a conference and missing the rant board so the logical solution: let’s talk minutes.

My starting five prediction: Boo, Berry, Beran, Nance & Young. Rotation: Greer, Audige, William, Nich. 200 mpg avg to distribute:

I’m not high on this season. In order to have a watchable season, we need four of the following:

If we see five of these things occur and none of those individuals go down with major injury, maybe we stiff ncaa.

If we play on the first day of BTT, then CCC has to go…unless that somehow still translates to ticket to the dance.

I could really have used the Rant Board today. Amazing how certain people had no problem making use of the Rant Board the previous four years when it suited them.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I could really have used the Rant Board today. Amazing how certain people had no problem making use of the Rant Board the previous four years when it suited them.
Anybody up for Ranting here? We can play subject line games to avoid the censors 😉

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Anybody up for Ranting here? We can play subject line games to avoid the censors 😉

Mods deleted the post rant thread from football for some reason.

Anywho, some folks have lamented content here. So here’s an effort. A discussion thread. So many guys have been run off or quit. If the site doesn’t get some traffic, I would expect budget cuts to lead to death spiral changes.

And coral is sitting back hoping this thread gets killed too. Let’s chat. Play the minute game. Or simply tell me where I’m wrong. Hoop time.

Since we're discussing what's wrong ...

Let's talk about the first problem with the conventional wisdom out here. My understanding is the coaches have been depending hard core on Simmons since the day he signed. He's been a distant afterthought out here.

I have no clue if this is the right direction or not. Talk to me after the second or third game. But I got this from a pretty good source - not rock solid. It makes more sense if you understand how things went down this summer. I'll let our experts report on that.

Everybody might want to start with that premise when considering the freshman minutes.

Less Beran, more Young. Other than that it all depends on how the players are performing in practice.

Reactions: HawkCat
Props for putting the thoughts out there, Ignore.

I'm not going to bother with the minutes, but I like you're direction about what is needed be each player. Allow me to start with a couple general items.

1) 3-pt shooting, 3-pt shooting and ... um, um ... I forget ... oh yea, 3-pt shooting - If NU insists on firing 'em up at the same rate, they need a couple 40% guys in conference play. Unlike others, I think Buie has the skill. After that? Maybe Audige or a freshman?
2) They HAVE to improve that defense ... probably the perimeter defense. And they have to do it without Gaines.

I think this is one area where Kopp will be an addition by subtraction. But they also need someone else to step up in place of how Gaines helped.

a) Audige and Buie - They either need to stop forcing more 3s (many more 3s than even Kopp) or improve their percentages. If I'm CC, I see if Buie is shooting better in practice and let him fire away. I ask Audige to play smarter, be the defensive stopper and be more aggressive to the basket.
b) Audige also needs to get his assists-to-turnovers in a more acceptable range. He has more turnovers than assists.
c) I'd LOVE to see the Young-Nicholson combo put Nance more at the 4. Nance's defense isn't strong enough at the 5. I think the more realistic option is Young and Nance at the 5 with Nance shooting far fewer 3s.
d) Beran needs to make DRAMATIC strides for me to want more than sixth-man minutes for him. So that leaves me with major minutes to Buie, Audige, a freshman (Simmons?), Young and Nance. I hope Nicholson can bust into that rotation to give them some bulk. Then I like Beran as the second guy off the bench.
e) I'm not a fan of Berry at all. He needs to drastically improve. If not, I hope Barnhizer and Roper can push him farther down on the bench with just a tad more from Greer.
f) How about double-digits from Young in conference?

Lastly, I really hope Collins will be a little more decisive about his rotation. I can see Beran and Audige playing at the same level and getting Koppian chances. Now he has a couple freshmen who might be able to play the 3 or the 2. He's really got to put the hammer down on these guys who have all this "potential" but never produce.

I think a lot of this is doable, but I never like a team with this many ifs.

I would love to see Audige finish second on the team in minutes. Nance has a unique skill set and would reasonably be expected to lead the team in minutes given the lack of depth upfront.

But Buie remains a streaky guy better suited to relative few average minutes with a relatively high standard deviation. (That is, get him 30 minutes if he hits early shots, glue him to the bench when he doesn’t.)

I like Audige on the ball. I hope Berry can take minutes on the ball.

This team definitely needs a freshman to show star potential. I have no guess as to whether that’s possible, or as to which freshman that might be.

I expect all freshmen at NU to average anywhere from zero to 15 points per game, and anywhere from zero to 32 minutes per game.

Since we're discussing what's wrong ...

Let's talk about the first problem with the conventional wisdom out here. My understanding is the coaches have been depending hard core on Simmons since the day he signed. He's been a distant afterthought out here.

I have no clue if this is the right direction or not. Talk to me after the second or third game. But I got this from a pretty good source - not rock solid. It makes more sense if you understand how things went down this summer. I'll let our experts report on that.

Everybody might want to start with that premise when considering the freshman minutes.
Yes, Simmons & Roper will get meaningful minutes—also would be uber surprised if Audige doesn’t start. If he is more consistent & under control he can be the leading scorer. He’s got the talent & athletism if he can play with both passion & reasonable control.

I think if boo or Berry aren’t starting then they are next to enter the portal. And maybe that’s a good thing. But if they can play to their potential, then they start.

I long for days that we aren’t expecting or needing major contributions from a freshman in order to find some success.

Last year, I said kopp would be a good sixth man on a good team. I think the same of Audige. Instant energy. But I think he lacks up and forces too much. If boo and Berry haven’t earned those starting rules, I see more unwatchable ball ahead.

I think starting 5 is Buie (1), Audige (2), Berry (3), Williams (4) and Nance (5) OR Nance (4) and Young (5), with Beran, Greer, and Williams/Young providing most of the sub minutes. Simmons, Roper, and Barnhizer (in that order) get 8-15 minutes a game depending on injuries and game performance. Nicholson is likely still a year off from a larger role, but has added muscle and is developing.

I think starting 5 is Buie (1), Audige (2), Berry (3), Williams (4) and Nance (5) OR Nance (4) and Young (5), with Beran, Greer, and Williams/Young providing most of the sub minutes. Simmons, Roper, and Barnhizer (in that order) get 8-15 minutes a game depending on injuries and game performance. Nicholson is likely still a year off from a larger role, but has added muscle and is developing.

If nance starts at the 5, I’m out for this season. Those lineups were the worst to watch. I’ll even start rooting for the other team just to hope to see ccc run out of town.

Jury is out on Nance talent level. Has the genes, has shown flashes but not enough to convince me. That said, I think he has been mishandled from day 1. He is not a 5. Just like brown was not a 1.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
What we will probably get:
Boo
Audige
Williams
Beran
Nance

All I can wish, if the Nance at the 5 continues, is that CCC is a genius, pounded the rock, and proved me and a lot of people wrong. If we start losing though, it will be a test on whether I can root against NU. Never happened, but losing could be the best in the long run if it means CCC is run out of town.

Ideally a freshman would be showing to be way more ready than normal and we'd have:
Boo
Surprising freshman
Williams
Nance
Young

Audige and Berry as 20 minute guys solidly in the 7 man rotation. Audige more mature and often staying on the court for 30 minutes. Beran playing 15, Nicholson 5-10, giving rest to Young and Nance. Occasional appearance by other freshman and Greer.

Our major strengths are having length and a fair amount of experience in the roster.

Our major weaknesses are no clear backup for an erratic Buie and lack of speed/athleticism.

My changes into the season:

starting five: Boo, Audidge, Beran, Nance, Young - Beran is my weak spot. If he shows some development, I’ll feel better about this. And I’d throw these guys in a 2-3 zone w a bunch of man D once the subs start coming.

I see Greer and Berry backing the Gs and Nicholson and Williams backing the bigs. But I think a frosh will upset the apple cart. Not sure which one but predict Beran is squeezed out of the starting five in favor of a frosh by conference season.

This will be my conference protection:
30: Nance, Boo
20: young, audidge, frosh, Berry, beran
10: Nicholson, Greer

Well, my thoughts on the distribution have not been seen. But with all the talk about player use, maybe we should. Anyway, a quick review after a few B1G games in the books.

(oh, PPD - this thread doesn’t quite fit your profile for me does it 🤷‍♂️)

Well, my thoughts on the distribution have not been seen. But with all the talk about player use, maybe we should. Anyway, a quick review after a few B1G games in the books.

(oh, PPD - this thread doesn’t quite fit your profile for me does it 🤷‍♂️)
Got no idea what you are trying to prove here Bob. However, resurrecting 90 day old threads meet your profile.

• Haha
Reactions: phatcat
I, for one, usually love the resurrected threads.
Interesting predictions.

Beran really had a bad game yesterday, sharply reversing his upward trajectory of the prior two games.
Simmons, who played quite poorly against PSU, only played 3 minutes against Ohio State. Those minutes went to Roper who looked okay again (especially for a freshman).

Audige at the 3 seems to have settled down in the last couple games. His rebounding has been helpful.

Nance and Beran got pushed around by the shorter, more physical Buckeyes.

oh, the age of the thread is now an issue. HJ has a new post on a very old thread on football. Go get em! 🤨
Hungry Jack I am getting tired of your constant resurrection of old threads, unless they relate to Salma Hayek! Get with the program, you can only bring up old posts to make members of the Klique look like fools. Also, stop repeating yourself you douche bag. You can only compare NU football to the Spanish Revolution so many times. I am getting an itchy trigger finger for the ignore button if you keep up these tactics.

Hungry Jack I am getting tired of your constant resurrection of old threads, unless they relate to Salma Hayek! Get with the program, you can only bring up old posts to make members of the Klique look like fools. Also, stop repeating yourself you douche bag. You can only compare NU football to the Spanish Revolution so many times. I am getting an itchy trigger finger for the ignore button if you keep up these tactics.
My favorite Salma Hayak comment came from a friend who was having an enthusiastic discussion about her with a friend, with their wives nearby. The one wife said something like "you know she has a unibrow". to which the husband replied "I didn't even know she had a @#$%ing head!"

My favorite Salma Hayak comment came from a friend who was having an enthusiastic discussion about her with a friend, with their wives nearby. The one wife said something like "you know she has a unibrow". to which the husband replied "I didn't even know she had a @#$%ing head!"
Somebody should tell hungry about basketball and that it has a message board and he is providing entertainment when the team can’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT