ADVERTISEMENT

We can eat and digest this season

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Inconsistency is so frustrating.

The Maryland game showed us Lausch could sling the ball down field and we could score points. Didn't see a long ball once today (at least not to my recollection). Ball was practically glued to the field when we were on offense. Infuriating calls and botches. And if I watch another gym class pass out to the flats that gets dropped, I'm going to scream.

We're breaking in a first-time head coach who didn't know he truly had to lay the ground work for this season at NU until late last season. Also needed to install a new coaching staff when his network was primarily rooted in FCS football. So then we had a dilapidated recruiting class, a whole bunch of our fifth year seniors understandably fly the coop, and a whole bunch of mismatched pieces (coaches and players), including whatever we could salvage in the Portal. The results this season were predictable. As I often say here, if someone described our circumstances in the context of another team, none of us would bet on success.

But the season's not over. Our head coach is the same guy who we watched work "miracles" last season. Five games left with at least three beatable teams.

I still think we can get to six wins...it just depends which NU shows up - the one that beat Maryland or the one that played today. I think it was Barnett who said something to the effect of the role of a coach being someone who can take you where you can get to on your own. I believe we've seen flashes of this so far, but I'd also say it's squarely on the coaches to prep this team to be more consistent. I wont be so stupid to say we should have won today but we should have put on one hell of a better showing.

But whether we get to six or not this season, I will judge Braun on next season; not so much on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.