ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Depth Chart: HJ OR Marty OR Hilinski

Go Catz

Sep 26, 2019
Seems actually honest. The other change: Holman is off the WR chart and Jacob Gill is now on there.

Congrats to Gill, who is the impact freshman WR over some others who got more attention. For some reason, this makes me wonder if Holman will actually be back this week.

Seems actually honest. The other change: Holman is off the WR chart and Jacob Gill is now on there.

Congrats to Gill, who is the impact freshman WR over some others who got more attention. For some reason, this makes me wonder if Holman will actually be back this week.

I did have to chuckle that when Gill caught the first TD pass (making the score 27-6) he attempted to “shush” the crowd with the finger over the lips gesture. It’s not the worst thing ever to happen in western civilization, but I did laugh out loud given the context.

I did have to chuckle that when Gill caught the first TD pass (making the score 27-6) he attempted to “shush” the crowd with the finger over the lips gesture. It’s not the worst thing ever to happen in western civilization, but I did laugh out loud given the context.
Gill is from North Carolina so perhaps he had some people in the crowd that he knew. Not excusing it but it may have been a very emotional moment for him.

so as usual I am a little confused.....If they are on the two deep does that mean they are not injured? So does that mean that Gerak, Phoebe and Clair are all good to go.... and Rowley who replaced Phoebe at LG is now the back up at RG......is the two deep just some CIA mumbo jumbo cuz Fitz thinks a confusing two deep chart is the key to victory?

so as usual I am a little confused.....If they are on the two deep does that mean they are not injured? So does that mean that Gerak, Phoebe and Clair are all good to go.... and Rowley who replaced Phoebe at LG is now the back up at RG......is the two deep just some CIA mumbo jumbo cuz Fitz thinks a confusing two deep chart is the key to victory?
Phoebe Buffay? I’m sure some yahoo’s on this board would say she’s better than Schmidt.

Probably better at TE.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that....

... Loyola, my best guess is the answer to your question is, yes, its all top super double secret info, and until game time, you just have to go by who has been playing, and who hasn't. Like Holman. If he's on the chart, I'm ignoring him until I see the guy actually play.

QB? That's a whole separate deal. I assume Fitz wants us (and Ohio coaches) to do what we're doing right here... try to figure out his "code". I have a better idea. Lets ask Turk who he thinks is going to start... and then bet on anybody else.

Last edited:

Best thing is that having Marty on the depth chart suggest he avoided serious injury.

Best thing is that having Marty on the depth chart suggest he avoided serious injury.
The most astute comment in this thread, although I wouldn't put it past Fitz to put Mike Kerrigan in the depth chart just to annoy us.

Other notes since I didn't see last week's depth chart.

Was GHP on last week's chart? I saw him coming out after a play. Also he didn't seem to tower over people like Prater did, idk maybe he was just next to other tall people.

I've lost track of JJ Jefferson. Injured? Beaten out?

Has Devin O'Rourke been playing?

The most astute comment in this thread, although I wouldn't put it past Fitz to put Mike Kerrigan in the depth chart just to annoy us.

Other notes since I didn't see last week's depth chart.

Was GHP on last week's chart? I saw him coming out after a play. Also he didn't seem to tower over people like Prater did, idk maybe he was just next to other tall people.

I've lost track of JJ Jefferson. Injured? Beaten out?

Has Devin O'Rourke been playing?

Yes, GHP has been on the chart. JJ Jefferson has been on the injured list every week so far. I'm assuming it's possible he'll return since they haven't announced that he's out for the season.

Yes, Devin O'Rourke has been playing, but I'm not sure if he's getting any more snaps than Sean McLaughlin.

Would not be shocked if Hunter started - especially if Marty is no good to go. Ohio is terrible and I think Fitz feels some measure of loyalty to to Hunter.

boy, I think he might have a mutiny on his hands if he did that. Captain Fitz Bligh!

"Honest" might be generous.

I call it a "depth charge." You throw it out there, watch it sink, and are not sure if it does anything.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that....

... Loyola, my best guess is the answer to your question is, yes, its all top super double secret info, and until game time, you just have to go by who has been playing, and who hasn't. Like Holman. If he's on the chart, I'm ignoring him until I see the guy actually play.

QB? That's a whole separate deal. I assume Fitz wants us (and Ohio coaches) to do what we're doing right here... try to figure out his "code". I have a better idea. Lets ask Turk who he thinks is going to start... and then bet on anybody else.

You may be right. Or it may be that they don't know if Marty will be ready to go, and then between Hunter and Hilinsiki, they don't know who should step in next. Or maybe Hilinski just doesn't know the playbook, or he pissed Fitz's cheerios.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Would not be shocked if Hunter started - especially if Marty is no good to go. Ohio is terrible and I think Fitz feels some measure of loyalty to to Hunter.
I think that would be a grave mistake. What does it tell the players that a guy can go out there, toss 3 picks, and have his backup come in and immediately jump start the offense, then to revert the following week to Hunter? He has shown us what he is capable of (not much), he needs to be #3 on the depth chart at this point.

I'll be at the game on Saturday and if Hunter starts, I'll start booing. Booing Fitz, not HJ. To give HJ any more snaps this season is folly. It's Hilinski time now.

I'm getting sick and tired of watching almost all of the players making gestures and pointing up to the sky. Hate to tell them that God doesn't care what they do on the field.

I'm getting sick and tired of watching almost all of the players making gestures and pointing up to the sky. Hate to tell them that God doesn't care what they do on the field.
Agree on making gestures. I hate "praise me, look at me stuff". But - God DOES care. He just doesn't favor anyone. He's not going to favor a player that points at the sky.

Seems actually honest.

It's funny you say that, because I thought it was the exact opposite.

I don't read other depth charts so I don't know how many other programs tend to use the "Player A or Player B or Player C" thing...but when I see all three of these guys listed, I think:

1. Maybe Hunter is done but this is Fitz's way of showing him some respect.
2. Maybe Marty is injured/has no chance of playing but this is typical Fitz playing around with injury reports.
3. Maybe Marty is questionable, which means Hunter MAY play. If it's a QB BATTLE between the original/intended starter and the THIRD stringer (Hillinski), then we're basically doomed.
4. Maybe Fitz is still committed to Hunter and he thinks putting up big numbers against OU is a way to build his confidence back and hush the fans.
5. And so on.

Reactions: No Chores
I think that would be a grave mistake. What does it tell the players that a guy can go out there, toss 3 picks, and have his backup come in and immediately jump start the offense, then to revert the following week to Hunter? He has shown us what he is capable of (not much), he needs to be #3 on the depth chart at this point.
I totally agree, however, suppose Marty is physically unable to go. Then Fitz is left with a choice between Hunter and Hilinski, who started the season as the 3d stringer.

It's funny you say that, because I thought it was the exact opposite.

I don't read other depth charts so I don't know how many other programs tend to use the "Player A or Player B or Player C" thing...but when I see all three of these guys listed, I think:

1. Maybe Hunter is done but this is Fitz's way of showing him some respect.
2. Maybe Marty is injured/has no chance of playing but this is typical Fitz playing around with injury reports.
3. Maybe Marty is questionable, which means Hunter MAY play. If it's a QB BATTLE between the original/intended starter and the THIRD stringer (Hillinski), then we're basically doomed.
4. Maybe Fitz is still committed to Hunter and he thinks putting up big numbers against OU is a way to build his confidence back and hush the fans.
5. And so on.
Even though it is based entirely on speculation, this is an excellent analysis of the possibilities in my opinion

If Marty can't play then give the snaps to Hilinski. As he is the only QB of the three with remaining eligibility it would be idiotic not to give him the start.

Andy Marty has had a total of 3 significant chances to play. In 2019, we were (2-8) and getting destroyed by the 10th-ranked Gophers at Ryan Field. Hunter Johnson had started and led the team to one first down and 4 punts in our first 4 possessions, netting -3 yards. We were trailing 21-0.

After a great punt, the NU defense got a safety ,to cut the Gopher lead to 21-2.
Fitz (finally) sends in sophomore Andy Marty with 9:30 to go in the half.
Like a few others in the stands, I roar in approval.

14 plays and 6:40 later we have driven 69 yards and pounded in for a touchdown.
We hold Minnesota, they punt and pin us deep. The half ends. Minnesota leads 21-9.
Minnesota gets the ball to start the 2nd half and marches the length of the field to make it 28-9.
NU gets it back and Marty leads the offense on another long touchdown drive, going 64 yards in 16 plays, to make it 28-16.
Minnesota responds with a long drive to go up 35-16.
We go 3 and out.
Minnesota kicks a field goal to go up 38-16.
We get the ball, Marty leads another long drive, 8 plays, 77 yards, to finish the scoring.
Andy Marty stats - 8 of 10 passing for 95 yards and one TD. He ran 16 times for 52 yards and 2 TDs.
Hunter Johnson stats - 0 for 2 passing, 4 carries for minus 40 yards.
Thats right. You read that right.

The next week we go to Illinois as underdogs and Marty plays the whole game.
Our 9 possessions result in 4 TDs, one FG (33), one missed FG (36), one punt, one INT and one failed 4th and 5 on the Illini 35. We manhandle Illinois 29-10.

So everybody knows at the end of 2019 that Andrew Marty should be our starting QB in 2020. He has proven it on the field. But Covid and Payton Ramsey show up and Marty doesn't throw a pass all year. NU rides an awesome defense and a mediocre offense to a very good season. Would we have been better with Marty at QB? Possibly. I think probably.

In 2021 Fitz names Hunter Johnson the starter. Obviously he throws the ball well downfield in practice when no one is allowed to touch him. However, the football case has already been proven on the field. Andy Marty is a much better quarterback and deserves to start.

The Duke game proved this for the third time. At some point Fitz will listen to his gut and commit to the kid who generates results. Marty has played significant minutes in three games and has played well in each opportunity.

I totally agree, however, suppose Marty is physically unable to go. Then Fitz is left with a choice between Hunter and Hilinski, who started the season as the 3d stringer.
I cannot imagine a situation in which any other QB on the roster could play as poorly as Hunter did last week. I remember a game - I think it was MINN, where they had like a 3rd string QB that had more INT's than completions. This was not much better (4 turnovers, 6 completions). And none of them were like tipped balls or anything like that. Hunter has had, 2+ games of starter reps, plus the mess of 2019, 4th year in the program, second with this OC. Might he recover/get better? Possibly, but playing against, arguably, the weakest P5 team on our schedule, he looked lost.

Reactions: NREPP Fraud
boy, I think he might have a mutiny on his hands if he did that. Captain Fitz Bligh!
I still don't know how comfortable Hilinski is in the system. Hunter had a horrid game against Duke, but looked pretty good against MSU. Hilinski's performance didn't exactly wow me; we were lucky his interception was bailed out by a questionable penalty. His first series didn't look too good.

I think Marty won and deserves the starting job if he's healthy. There might be a mutiny if Marty is passed over. I'm not sure that the Hilinski vs. Hunter question is so clear-cut.

I cannot imagine a situation in which any other QB on the roster could play as poorly as Hunter did last week. I remember a game - I think it was MINN, where they had like a 3rd string QB that had more INT's than completions. This was not much better (4 turnovers, 6 completions). And none of them were like tipped balls or anything like that. Hunter has had, 2+ games of starter reps, plus the mess of 2019, 4th year in the program, second with this OC. Might he recover/get better? Possibly, but playing against, arguably, the weakest P5 team on our schedule, he looked lost.

Are you thinking of the 2017 Minnesota game? Demry Croft was 2/11 for 43 yards and 3 INTs. In his defense, the weather was terrible in that game.

IMHO, Marty absolutely has to get the start if he's healthy, but who knows if he's healthy or if he's practicing this week. The choice between Johnson and Hilinski may be tougher.

Easy choice. OBVIOUS choice. UNLESS Hilinski, as somebody suggested above, doesn't know the plays yet. Didn't look like that on Saturday... he looked a little nervous out there (who wouldn't in crunch time, first PT of the season) on Saturday, but he also was decisive with his throws. Just my guess that he knows the plays well enough, with a full practice week with the ones, is ready to go.

Hopefully its moot because Marty can go on Saturday, which - today being Tuesday - there's a good chance they don't know that yet. If he can't practice near 100% tomorrow, I think Marty sits and Hilinski starts.

Last edited:
Andy Marty has had a total of 3 significant chances to play. In 2019, we were (2-8) and getting destroyed by the 10th-ranked Gophers at Ryan Field. Hunter Johnson had started and led the team to one first down and 4 punts in our first 4 possessions, netting -3 yards. We were trailing 21-0.

After a great punt, the NU defense got a safety ,to cut the Gopher lead to 21-2.
Fitz (finally) sends in sophomore Andy Marty with 9:30 to go in the half.
Like a few others in the stands, I roar in approval.

14 plays and 6:40 later we have driven 69 yards and pounded in for a touchdown.
We hold Minnesota, they punt and pin us deep. The half ends. Minnesota leads 21-9.
Minnesota gets the ball to start the 2nd half and marches the length of the field to make it 28-9.
NU gets it back and Marty leads the offense on another long touchdown drive, going 64 yards in 16 plays, to make it 28-16.
Minnesota responds with a long drive to go up 35-16.
We go 3 and out.
Minnesota kicks a field goal to go up 38-16.
We get the ball, Marty leads another long drive, 8 plays, 77 yards, to finish the scoring.
Andy Marty stats - 8 of 10 passing for 95 yards and one TD. He ran 16 times for 52 yards and 2 TDs.
Hunter Johnson stats - 0 for 2 passing, 4 carries for minus 40 yards.
Thats right. You read that right.

The next week we go to Illinois as underdogs and Marty plays the whole game.
Our 9 possessions result in 4 TDs, one FG (33), one missed FG (36), one punt, one INT and one failed 4th and 5 on the Illini 35. We manhandle Illinois 29-10.

So everybody knows at the end of 2019 that Andrew Marty should be our starting QB in 2020. He has proven it on the field. But Covid and Payton Ramsey show up and Marty doesn't throw a pass all year. NU rides an awesome defense and a mediocre offense to a very good season. Would we have been better with Marty at QB? Possibly. I think probably.

In 2021 Fitz names Hunter Johnson the starter. Obviously he throws the ball well downfield in practice when no one is allowed to touch him. However, the football case has already been proven on the field. Andy Marty is a much better quarterback and deserves to start.

The Duke game proved this for the third time. At some point Fitz will listen to his gut and commit to the kid who generates results. Marty has played significant minutes in three games and has played well in each opportunity.
Marty couldn't hold Ramsey's jock and that Illinois team that NU beat
with Marty at QB was just plain terrible.

After that Illinois game, I remember thinking Marty was a tough kid who put on an inspiring performance, but he did not look like the QB of the future for the Cats. However, his performance against Duke last Saturday was in another category. He looked really impressive and improved. He was going through his progressions on some plays. He had some nice downfield passes. He seemed in control, which I have never seen with Hunter, even when he was playing well. Marty should be the man in 2021 if he's good to go.

Remember what DiNardo said when BTN went to preseason practice? It was something like: the QB competition will be down to Johnson and Hilinski, with Johnson starting if a running QB was in the gameplan, and that "the other guy" was too far behind. 😂

I still don't know how comfortable Hilinski is in the system. Hunter had a horrid game against Duke, but looked pretty good against MSU. Hilinski's performance didn't exactly wow me; we were lucky his interception was bailed out by a questionable penalty. His first series didn't look too good.

I think Marty won and deserves the starting job if he's healthy. There might be a mutiny if Marty is passed over. I'm not sure that the Hilinski vs. Hunter question is so clear-cut.

it’s clear cut and a no brainer. Not only is Hilinski better now, he has 3 years left in the program and Hunter does not. If all else is equal (it is not) you go with the guy who is the future of the program.

Appreciate the sentiment, but as was commented on in the in game Zoom Chat, a quarterback can have a bad day just as a baseball pitcher can have.

Hunter actually had most of us in his corner after the way he played against MSU.

After that Illinois game, I remember thinking Marty was a tough kid who put on an inspiring performance, but he did not look like the QB of the future for the Cats. However, his performance against Duke last Saturday was in another category. He looked really impressive and improved. He was going through his progressions on some plays. He had some nice downfield passes. He seemed in control, which I have never seen with Hunter, even when he was playing well. Marty should be the man in 2021 if he's good to go.
Agreed 👍Marty is the starter

Illinois was 6-5, we were 2-9 going into that 2019 game. We were decided underdogs. Led by Marty in his first college start, we won 29-10.
The next year, with Ramsey at QB, we were playing better, Illinois was playing worse and the final was 28-10.
It is pretty easy to argue that Ramsey was somewhat overrated, basking in the glow of a great defense. Look at his stats, game after game. Not particularly impressive. His best game was the 43-3 season opening win over Maryland. That game was an outlier. In the next six league games we scored 21, 21, 20, 17, 20 and 28 points...
Everybody knows the offense was mediocre until the freshmen running backs started getting the ball late in the season, when we stomped Illinois, battled Ohio State and slaughtered Auburn.

For what its worth, my own breakdown of the 2020 game results had us as one of the worst offensive teams in the Big Ten, coupled with the best defensive team. Having a subpar offense and a great defense was enough for us to win several close games. My suspicion is that Marty would have produced more points, but it doesn't matter now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT