ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Depth Chart: HJ OR Marty OR Hilinski

I still don't know how comfortable Hilinski is in the system. Hunter had a horrid game against Duke, but looked pretty good against MSU. Hilinski's performance didn't exactly wow me; we were lucky his interception was bailed out by a questionable penalty. His first series didn't look too good.

I think Marty won and deserves the starting job if he's healthy. There might be a mutiny if Marty is passed over. I'm not sure that the Hilinski vs. Hunter question is so clear-cut.
I agree, Marty deserves a chance to start. Fitz said it was close. If it was close then give him a shot. Hunter practiced with the 1s after he was named the starter. Hilinski wasn't afforded that opportunity to practice with the 1s. Timing is everything. Considering that, I don't think Hilinski did that bad. It is more difficult to throw the ball when the defense knows the O has to. At the Duke game, I believe Marty had his shoulder pads off, not a good sign. I say give Hilinski time with the 1s this week, give him a chance. This feels like 2019. Hunter starts at Stanford - not good. Green comes in, moves the ball well, get hurt, and we are scrambling for a QB the rest of the year. I hope Marty is not hurt and Hilinski can regain his 2019 form.

That Illinois team went to a bowl game.

What is this mindset to downplay Marty? He's the Rodney Dangerfield of football.
It’s the wily curmudgeon mindset. He is another legacy Marty hater/denier who refuses to acknowledge what is plainly evident to anyone who watches him play. The kid is a good QB.

That Illinois team went to a bowl game.

What is this mindset to downplay Marty? He's the Rodney Dangerfield of football.
The decision to start Ramsey over Marty last year was correct. The decision to start Hunter this year over Marty was incorrect.

He isn't downplaying Marty by saying he wasn't better than Peyton Ramsey last year. Ramsey led his team to a #10 ranking and was HM All-B1G, IIRC. He was/is a damn good QB. If he had come back for another year, he'd be playing (and we'd have beaten Duke). I don't think it's reasonable to say we'd have beaten MSU or OSU last year if Marty was QB. 2020 is over. It was a great season. Let's focus on cleaning up the dog crap that is 2021

The decision to start Ramsey over Marty last year was correct. The decision to start Hunter this year over Marty was incorrect.

He isn't downplaying Marty by saying he wasn't better than Peyton Ramsey last year. Ramsey led his team to a #10 ranking and was HM All-B1G, IIRC. He was/is a damn good QB. If he had come back for another year, he'd be playing (and we'd have beaten Duke). I don't think it's reasonable to say we'd have beaten MSU or OSU last year if Marty was QB. 2020 is over. It was a great season. Let's focus on cleaning up the dog crap that is 2021
He was downplaying Marty by downplaying his win over Illinois and by outright saying that "Marty couldn't hold Ramsey's jock." That's kind of disrespectful language, don't you think?

Reactions: NREPP Fraud
He was downplaying Marty by downplaying his win over Illinois and by outright saying that "Marty couldn't hold Ramsey's jock." That's kind of disrespectful language, don't you think?
Yeah, not what you typically see on this board re players (though we talk about each other like that). Marty is a good fit for this offense. I kept hearing that one of the reason's that Hunter won the job was his mobility, but I sure didn't see it. Perhaps he is fast running in a straight line or in drills, but - today - for this offense, we need 'escapability', not practice/drill speed. Marty is a tank, if we can keep him in one piece whilst the line removes its head from is ass, we will be ok in a few weeks. OT, I'm getting as tired of Anderson's excuse makers as I am of waiting for O'Neill to figure things out.

Yeah, not what you typically see on this board re players (though we talk about each other like that). Marty is a good fit for this offense. I kept hearing that one of the reason's that Hunter won the job was his mobility, but I sure didn't see it. Perhaps he is fast running in a straight line or in drills, but - today - for this offense, we need 'escapability', not practice/drill speed. Marty is a tank, if we can keep him in one piece whilst the line removes its head from is ass, we will be ok in a few weeks. OT, I'm getting as tired of Anderson's excuse makers as I am of waiting for O'Neill to figure things out.
Agreed

If Hunter doesn't start, at least the starter will have had the week with the ones and should look better this week.

Andy Marty has had a total of 3 significant chances to play. In 2019, we were (2-8) and getting destroyed by the 10th-ranked Gophers at Ryan Field. Hunter Johnson had started and led the team to one first down and 4 punts in our first 4 possessions, netting -3 yards. We were trailing 21-0.

After a great punt, the NU defense got a safety ,to cut the Gopher lead to 21-2.
Fitz (finally) sends in sophomore Andy Marty with 9:30 to go in the half.
Like a few others in the stands, I roar in approval.

14 plays and 6:40 later we have driven 69 yards and pounded in for a touchdown.
We hold Minnesota, they punt and pin us deep. The half ends. Minnesota leads 21-9.
Minnesota gets the ball to start the 2nd half and marches the length of the field to make it 28-9.
NU gets it back and Marty leads the offense on another long touchdown drive, going 64 yards in 16 plays, to make it 28-16.
Minnesota responds with a long drive to go up 35-16.
We go 3 and out.
Minnesota kicks a field goal to go up 38-16.
We get the ball, Marty leads another long drive, 8 plays, 77 yards, to finish the scoring.
Andy Marty stats - 8 of 10 passing for 95 yards and one TD. He ran 16 times for 52 yards and 2 TDs.
Hunter Johnson stats - 0 for 2 passing, 4 carries for minus 40 yards.
Thats right. You read that right.

The next week we go to Illinois as underdogs and Marty plays the whole game.
Our 9 possessions result in 4 TDs, one FG (33), one missed FG (36), one punt, one INT and one failed 4th and 5 on the Illini 35. We manhandle Illinois 29-10.

So everybody knows at the end of 2019 that Andrew Marty should be our starting QB in 2020. He has proven it on the field. But Covid and Payton Ramsey show up and Marty doesn't throw a pass all year. NU rides an awesome defense and a mediocre offense to a very good season. Would we have been better with Marty at QB? Possibly. I think probably.

In 2021 Fitz names Hunter Johnson the starter. Obviously he throws the ball well downfield in practice when no one is allowed to touch him. However, the football case has already been proven on the field. Andy Marty is a much better quarterback and deserves to start.

The Duke game proved this for the third time. At some point Fitz will listen to his gut and commit to the kid who generates results. Marty has played significant minutes in three games and has played well in each opportunity.

As one of HJ's biggest fans, I wholeheartedly concur. The difference last week was night and day. HJ has been given as many chances as anyone could want and he hasn't been able to deliver. Marty has impressed in the limited opportunities he's had. Time to give him the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT