ADVERTISEMENT

Well.... you could argue things turned out for the best

TheC

May 29, 2001
I have to imagine when the season began that most of us figured we'd be 1-1 after these first two games. Of course, we all expected the opposite results. But, one could argue that if you took 1-1 as a given, then this was the best possible outcome. The loss to Merrimack was embarrassing for sure, but I have to think it taught our guys a lesson about the kind of effort it takes to compete at the college level and shamed them into working much harder. That showed last night for sure. The effort on defense was outstanding.

At the same time, the win over Providence gives them a boost of confidence unlike any other game we'll probably have until BIG play starts. If they play with that effort and that aggressiveness, they can compete. They also got the experience of withstanding an opponent's run and holding on to close the game. That is so valuable to learn how to finish. Not to start something here, but that was always a problem with Carmody's teams in the past which kept us from getting to the NCAAs sooner.

That all said, let's not kid ourselves. We are still not a very good team yet. I doubt Providence has another game this year where they shoot that poorly. I am willing to give NU credit for some of that due to their defensive effort, but some of that was just a lousy performance by Providence. Teams in the BIG may eat that zone alive with the corner 3 ball. It was open all night. But credit to Coach Collins... he knew the scouting report that Providence wasn't a very good 3-point shooting team and he designed a strategy to beat them. That zone was almost a 4-1 zone. While our guys, outside of Gaines, aren't very quick, they are long and I think that really disrupted the Providence passing lanes. It amazed me how ineffective Providence was at getting past that front line, because when they did, the blocks and corners were pretty wide open. But I imagine their guards just had a hard time seeing around our length. That's pretty cool!

I have to imagine when the season began that most of us figured we'd be 1-1 after these first two games. Of course, we all expected the opposite results. But, one could argue that if you took 1-1 as a given, then this was the best possible outcome. The loss to Merrimack was embarrassing for sure, but I have to think it taught our guys a lesson about the kind of effort it takes to compete at the college level and shamed them into working much harder. That showed last night for sure. The effort on defense was outstanding.

At the same time, the win over Providence gives them a boost of confidence unlike any other game we'll probably have until BIG play starts. If they play with that effort and that aggressiveness, they can compete. They also got the experience of withstanding an opponent's run and holding on to close the game. That is so valuable to learn how to finish. Not to start something here, but that was always a problem with Carmody's teams in the past which kept us from getting to the NCAAs sooner.

That all said, let's not kid ourselves. We are still not a very good team yet. I doubt Providence has another game this year where they shoot that poorly. I am willing to give NU credit for some of that due to their defensive effort, but some of that was just a lousy performance by Providence. Teams in the BIG may eat that zone alive with the corner 3 ball. It was open all night. But credit to Coach Collins... he knew the scouting report that Providence wasn't a very good 3-point shooting team and he designed a strategy to beat them. That zone was almost a 4-1 zone. While our guys, outside of Gaines, aren't very quick, they are long and I think that really disrupted the Providence passing lanes. It amazed me how ineffective Providence was at getting past that front line, because when they did, the blocks and corners were pretty wide open. But I imagine their guards just had a hard time seeing around our length. That's pretty cool!

I am happy for the players for the win. We were laughing at the number of bunnies the Friars missed. My recollection is that they had 25 more shots than us. A couple observations:

1) Young played very, very hard. He needs some support underneath;
2) Nance has to play like he is 6ft 10 inches on defense. At times, he showed flashes of it, but the Cats need his rebounds;
3) Our team needs to pass higher. Too often, our passes were too low for Nance, Young and Jared. They are tall. Bring it higher. Spencer there a bounce pass to Hared which was too low. Jared flashed a signal for a lob which if gone would have been a slam; and,
4) I think Turner is a key. We were much more composed with him in the line up. He also had a couple of big boy rebounds.

Reactions: Medill90
On defense and opponents' shooting I'd say this...NU has nice length. Nance and Young on the floor, Kopp and Gaines....that's not a small line up. They all move well and get a hand up. Not going to be easy for opponents if NU is dialed in.

And then Beran and Jones coming off the bench along with AJ at 6 7". You've got to play together as team and make a few passes to score against NU.

On defense and opponents' shooting I'd say this...NU has nice length. Nance and Young on the floor, Kopp and Gaines....that's not a small line up. They all move well and get a hand up. Not going to be easy for opponents if NU is dialed in.

And then Beran and Jones coming off the bench along with AJ at 6 7". You've got to play together as team and make a few passes to score against NU.
I like the length too. This team would really be something if we had a point guard. I was watching the Michigan game the night before. Zavier Simpson is not the greatest shooter, but he is quick and gets to the rim and scores. If we had a ball handler like that running around with all that length at the other positions, we might actually be dangerous. We just don't have that player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT